Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Trying for over a year to get in. honeypot

Author Topic: Trying for over a year to get in.  (Read 6033 times)

nu-nuker

Trying for over a year to get in.
« on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:35 »
Well, I have been trying for over one year to get into my first outage. I have no experience, but I want to start out in Decon and work to become a Sr. HP like my uncle.  I have a four year business degree, but I do not want to work in that area. I want to work in the HP field during outages at nuclear plants. I know some technical colleges offer radiation protection certificates, but some people are telling me that one does not need those certificates to get in has a Decon worker.  Is that true? I work at an apartment complex now and would love to be working an outage in 2012.  More specifically I would like to be working at turkey point in jan : ) So, how hard is it to get in as Decon without and prior experience? who do I need to talk to in order to get in? I usually talk to Scott at Bartlett.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Trying for over a year to get in.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 01, 2011, 08:57 »
Well, I have been trying for over one year to get into my first outage. I have no experience, but I want to start out in Decon and work to become a Sr. HP like my uncle.  I have a four year business degree, but I do not want to work in that area. I want to work in the HP field during outages at nuclear plants. I know some technical colleges offer radiation protection certificates, but some people are telling me that one does not need those certificates to get in has a Decon worker.  Is that true? I work at an apartment complex now and would love to be working an outage in 2012.  More specifically I would like to be working at turkey point in jan : ) So, how hard is it to get in as Decon without and prior experience? who do I need to talk to in order to get in? I usually talk to Scott at Bartlett.

I think you already know....

nu-nuker

« Reply #2 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:09 »
So they don't hire people with zero experience?  My uncle who is a Sr. HP says I do not need any type degree or certificate to work Decon though.
« Last Edit: Nov 01, 2011, 09:10 by nu-nuker »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:13 »
With shrinking outages and lots of people looking for outage work, my guess is that they can be more selective in their hiring right now. Meaning, they have plenty of experienced people to choose from. That is just my best guess based on what I've seen at my site, but I am by no means very knowledgeable in this realm of nuclear power hiring.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

nu-nuker

« Reply #4 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:27 »
With shrinking outages and lots of people looking for outage work, my guess is that they can be more selective in their hiring right now. Meaning, they have plenty of experienced people to choose from. That is just my best guess based on what I've seen at my site, but I am by no means very knowledgeable in this realm of nuclear power hiring.

Damn, that sucks if that is the case.  All I can do is keep trying though.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:33 »
Damn, that sucks if that is the case.  All I can do is keep trying though.

Yeah, that and trying to make yourself more desireable. If you talk to someone at Barlett, have you asked why you haven't been hired?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

nu-nuker

« Reply #6 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:43 »
Yeah, that and trying to make yourself more desireable. If you talk to someone at Barlett, have you asked why you haven't been hired?

No, I never thought of asking that.  I'll ask when I call them tomorrow. I need to seriously look into getting that radiation protection certificate from Lake Shore.  That may be my only hope : /

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:56 »
There is nothing wrong with asking what you're missing.

nu-nuker

« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:58 »
There is nothing wrong with asking what you're missing.

Very true.  Thanks for the help man.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Nov 01, 2011, 10:24 »
Very true.  Thanks for the help man.

No problem! Good luck!

IPREGEN

« Reply #10 on: Nov 03, 2011, 07:23 »
Be willing to travel and work cheap to start. If you are determined to work at Turkey Point you may need to try some heavy networking to find someone that is working there and knows who the hiring coordinator is and convince them to give someone new a start. Many experienced road techs live in Florida so competition may be fierce.

Good luck, keep trying.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?