Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New grads getting hired at nearly 100% rate?

Author Topic: New grads getting hired at nearly 100% rate?  (Read 6841 times)

automodeler@comcast.net

New grads getting hired at nearly 100% rate?
« on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:28 »
I was a Navy nuke, ELT, then worked at Hanford as Sr RCT, have DOE core and NUF exam, Bachelors in Science and can't find an opening.

How can this be?

www.gaffneyledger.com/news/2008-05-14/​front_page/001.html (Grads of radiation protection tech program find instant employment)

or

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-04-22/aiken-tech-grads-head-jobs (Sixteen graduates of Aiken Technical College's radiation protection program will enter the work force - mostly at Savannah River Site - six months ahead of schedule.)

Just to clarify, I'm not picky. I tell the recruiters I'll go anywhere, anytime, for any position. Global, domestic, etc.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
Re: New grads getting hired at nearly 100% rate?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 04, 2011, 04:45 »
In case you've forgotten, we are less than two months away from 2012.

automodeler@comcast.net

« Reply #2 on: Nov 04, 2011, 05:04 »
Your point being that the market has changed?

I agree it has changed, but has it been that drastic of a change from 2-3 years ago?

If so, how long before it picks back up? Any guesses ???

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Nov 05, 2011, 07:28 »
I was a Navy nuke, ELT, then worked at Hanford as Sr RCT, have DOE core and NUF exam, Bachelors in Science and can't find an opening.

How can this be?

www.gaffneyledger.com/news/2008-05-14/​front_page/001.html (Grads of radiation protection tech program find instant employment)

or

http://chronicle.augusta.com/latest-news/2010-04-22/aiken-tech-grads-head-jobs (Sixteen graduates of Aiken Technical College's radiation protection program will enter the work force - mostly at Savannah River Site - six months ahead of schedule.)

Just to clarify, I'm not picky. I tell the recruiters I'll go anywhere, anytime, for any position. Global, domestic, etc.

Paying for the development of newly minted RP locals eliminates the whole "can't find decent local housing/momma don't like the weather/the recruiter lied about paying for the move/I'm worth 3x what this place is paying/I'm gonna drag up and go to a plant next to a nice sunny beach/I'm gonna go take a POSS test at Plant Bulldog because Ops pays big and I was a Navy nuke, what's on the POSS test anyways?"  drama that the HR departments have endured for the last 30 years.

When will it pick up? 2003. That's when there were more jobs than techs, with major projects coast-to-coast. Or 2023, when enough of us from catering-truck induced arteriosclerosis go <MDA. Until then, the best job postings are found on a Google search of 'nuclear jobs', and the first non-sponsored link leads one back..... to Nukeworker!

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2011, 10:41 »
Virtually every plant in the country is adopting a TVA style 60 mile rule. Also the utilities are assisting with Nuclear Entry courses at various community colleges as it makes pure economical sense and in the long run saves them money.

mdanner423

« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2011, 11:02 »
There isn't a nuclear power plant close to me, so it's going to be pretty hard to get a job as someone who doesn't live close?

--Matthew

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:11 »
There isn't a nuclear power plant close to me, so it's going to be pretty hard to get a job as someone who doesn't live close?

--Matthew

Not saying it is fair, just saying how it is.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 05, 2011, 03:42 »
Virtually every plant in the country is adopting a TVA style 60 mile rule. Also the utilities are assisting with Nuclear Entry courses at various community colleges as it makes pure economical sense and in the long run saves them money.

But not all utilities... And it also depends on the position. Entergy still looks outside 60 miles.

automodeler@comcast.net

« Reply #8 on: Nov 05, 2011, 08:31 »
The 60 mile rule applies to house techs not outage work, right?

Fermi2

« Reply #9 on: Nov 06, 2011, 12:03 »
But not all utilities... And it also depends on the position. Entergy still looks outside 60 miles.

Agreed but as a rule utilities are going that route!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2011, 08:46 »
Outage work is seasonal.  You're not going to get work when there are no outages.  If you need steady employment, you should look at taking a house gig.  Those might be tough too, since it's getting easier to grow their own than to hire out-of-town help.

Broaden your field a little.  Depending on where and when you look, there are often more openings in operations, training, QC, or maintenance than RP.  They might be willing to go beyond 60 miles if you are willing to move at your own expense.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?