Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu JR RCT

Author Topic: JR RCT  (Read 21121 times)

sickboi82

JR RCT
« on: Nov 16, 2011, 09:34 »
So I worked out at Hanford for two years as a nuclear chemical operator. Basically doing deacon, material handling, shipping and receiving, feeding Drums into the NDE/NDA vaults, and some glove box work. Now that Ive got the ax I'm wishing i would have came in as a RCT. Cause it looks like thats where all the work is. So my question is, what test and training do i need to get into a JR RCT. Do I have to be sponsored by a employer to take any of the test? Speaking of test what test do i need. I'm current on my 40 hr hazwoper and rad worker 2. But I believe there are two different test for RCT'S,DOE and Commercial. I feel like I'm in a good spot cause at lest i got my foot in the door. and found a line of work I truly enjoy, just want to be able to expand my skills. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

tagline

Re: JR RCT
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2011, 11:52 »
It does not hurt to take advantage of the study guides offered here at Nukeworker. These study guides will help if you ever do have to take a test. If you are thinking of going to commercial your first step may have to be Decon. Jr. H.P. jobs are saved for wives and friends. You never know tho, call recruiters and give them your info. Best of luck to you and remember to study.

Content1

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2011, 10:20 »
The problem with a Jr RCT is that it is an entry level position with competition with all others at that level.  The only reason that many juniors get jobs is the lack of Seniors.  With all the layoffs at Hanford, it flooded the market.  Even when you work on the road, it is only for maybe four outages and of three weeks each.  It would be good to think of other careers nowadays, with the traveling work as a part-time position.  It seems anyone who can swing a meter is a Jr RCT.  You don't need any tests to be a junior.  My daughter worked four years as a junior never taking any tests.  She left the field because she got tired of the traveling.

bobbob

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2011, 02:46 »
I have just completed a 16 month RCT degree program here in Knoxville. Even with lab, dress-out, setting rad areas, decon, regulations, and countless other training. it is still hard for my self and many others in my graduating class to obtain a job. as a graduate we all have our 40 hour HAZWOPER card, most pass a DOE CORE fundamental exam, and yet still can not find or get a position. So it is very hard for a JR. tech to find work.     

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2011, 04:48 »
The catch 22 clause has always been there for Jr Techs.
The plants want Jrs with experience and very few plants have the luxury of spending money on training techs (even with an associates degree in Health Physics it is still VERY challenging to get the required experience.
It seems that the drop out rate for Jr. Techs is @ 50 % because of the time required and the difficulty in getting the required experience. Most of the good Jr. Techs end up making the jump to other jobs with better pay and fewer frustrations before they are able to get the magic 3 years of experience. If you do find work, always do your best, learn as much as you can and in doing so you will be making contacts that may be helpful in the future.

sickboi82

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:34 »
Its so frustrating. Before i got the ax i was feeling pretty confident that i would find something pretty quick with my back ground and the training. But I'm slowly starting to see that thats not the case. I guess i cant complain though cause at lest I'm getting unemployment. Theres alot of people out of work that are not getting any help.

Content1

« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2011, 07:39 »
Not an accurate statement.  Many Jr. RP positions require a minimum of 12-months of practical experience.  That is a prerequisite that significantly reduces the field of competitors.

Not an accurate statement.  Juniors are a cost effective way to accomplish many routine RP tasks.

Not an accurate statement.  At many sites Jr. RP techs are administered the same exam as the Sr. Tech.  The Sr. Tech needs an 80% to pass.  The Jr. Tech needs a 70%.

Not an accurate statement.  See above.

Then I never have met her on the job…  You can't meet everyone and be at every job.

It seems you have made yourself Nukeworker judge and jury.  To all my previous statement I add, "in my opinion, it has been my experience that. . . Let those read decide accuracy.  In view of the subsequent posts, they still prefer seniors even if it costs more, and the 3 years experience takes on the average 7 to get the time in for short outages.  That is an accurate statement and it does compute.   
« Last Edit: Nov 18, 2011, 07:53 by Marlin »

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2011, 12:48 »
Its so frustrating. Before i got the ax i was feeling pretty confident that i would find something pretty quick with my back ground and the training. But I'm slowly starting to see that thats not the case. I guess i cant complain though cause at lest I'm getting unemployment. Theres a lot of people out of work that are not getting any help.

It's not easy but it is doable. Make friends with recruiters. And by friends I mean call them regularly, thank them, and don't be obnoxious or rude. Jr. jobs do come up. I just finished a job that had twelve contract Jr's on staff to do the containment control point and to work the count room. Four of the twelve were relatives of seniors. Every Jr. had to pass a site test and they we all meter qualified. The site took their jobs very seriously. I suggest studying for and trying to pass the NUF test. One hurdle on your first job is that the contractor/utility is taking a chance on the fact that you can even get into the plant. You take the question away if you have that certificate in hand. Make yourself available. With such short outages now it's a long haul to be a senior but some are going to do it.

Offline nickelrodent

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2011, 06:10 »
HII Newport News Shipyard has a job posting for E85 trainee. good luck.

sickboi82

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2011, 11:33 »
awesome thanks for the heads up. I'll look into it

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2011, 10:48 »
The cold hard facts are this:  DOE is up and down, depending on Govt funding or lack thereof...Commercial is currently flooded with Jr HP's.
About 5 years ago there was a big demand for Jr's (Doe & Comm).  So every school that ever had an HP program cranked them back up (even some new ones)...the first 3 years every graduate pretty much got hired... now it is tough... the schools are not slowing down even though in reality they ALL need to take a 5 year break and let the current grads
get experience.  Utilities are now taking interns every outage and the interns from last outage are not able to find work...we are stacking them up like cordwood...I am seeing it right now, a lot of great young
jr's getting bumped by interns and next outage it will be the current interns getting bumped...Do you see where we are headed?  Hundreds of Jr's with little experience fighting over an outage here or there and maybe geting one per season...
The schools need to stop now.

Content1

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22, 2011, 03:07 »
My oldest daughter took an RCT course from Bartlett for $2200 at Rocky Flats to train her to be a Jr. RCT.  She passed, passed the RCT exam, but never got a Jr. RCT job.  She eventually joined me on the road as a deconner, later transitioning to jr. HP.until she left the road last year.   She told me at some outages there was a sea of Jr's there due to the shortages of Seniors.  With all the DOE layoffs, like at Hanford, there is a sea of Seniors available and it will make it all the harder for jrs. to find work.  Solution?  Be flexible on what you are willing to do.  It may take accepting any job to get a foot in the door.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2011, 06:26 »
The schools are making money preparing students for careers that do not exist.  Why should they stop?  If students eliminate the demand by choosing a different curriculum the supply side will dry up.

You are correct that the schools job is to make money, but, in my opinion it is unethical to prepare students
for a career that may never happen.  The same is happening with law schools, no jobs for most new graduates
(i guess the lawyers are running out of people to sue)...

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 24, 2011, 03:14 »
Matt. I guess you think two or more wrongs make a right...
 Tell all the Jr's looking for work right now how the schools did them a big favor.
Regardless it seems we will disagree on this, hope you had a good Holiday..
BK

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Nov 24, 2011, 09:21 »
Tell all the Jr's looking for work right now how the schools did them a big favor.

Can we agree that the schools provided them with the service they requested?

HeatherB.

« Reply #15 on: Nov 26, 2011, 05:01 »
So many loud mouths on here, it's hard to hear the facts. I'm just sayin'...

D.Z. Atlantic has kept me BUSY as a Jr. RP for 2+ years now. My "school" paid for itself within the FIRST year of being in the industry. I'm almost to 18.1.

However, Bartlett won't even return my calls, and when I finally got a voice on the phone, they TOLD me I needed to know someone at each utility to get in, or "hook up" with a Sr. RP tech who could get me in places. Way to breed loyalty, Bartlett. Ugh.  [BS]

I'll work for D.Z. until the sun don't shine... and when Bartlett continues to hurt for Sr. techs, I won't return THEIR calls. That's how things in this industry are shaping up.

Keep calling, remind the recruiters of your RCT schooling, tell them you'll work ANYWHERE, and network best you can on sites like these (but you gotta filter out the nonsense).
Good luck!
 [salute]

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 26, 2011, 09:56 »
It sounds like you got in before the big glut, good for you.. would you like the names of the
300 with 3 to 6 months experience that can't find work?

Good luck on the DZ/Atlantic only career path.  If you honestly want that, PM me
your name and I will try to ensure Bartlett will never call you...

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #17 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:21 »
Barry,

Lets try to be a little more positive.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:24 »
So many loud mouths on here, it's hard to hear the facts. I'm just sayin'...

Good luck on the DZ/Atlantic only career path.  If you honestly want that, PM me
your name and I will try to ensure Bartlett will never call you...

[chill] [chill] [chill] [chill]

Forum Rules:
4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional.

HeatherB.

« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 11:13 »
Way to keep it classy, btkeele! I rest my case.

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:47 »
I try to stay positive, but, it's a little annoying when an almost 18.1 that has been kept so busy by Atlantic starts slamming Bartlett...my question is IF Atlantic has had you so busy, why even call Bartlett?
I have been lobbying my plants to hire more Jr's for years now (when we could not find enough Sr's) I am also working with the recruiters to keep the ones who have worked for me (and did a good job) find more work.  I am also using my DOE contacts to try to find them work as well.
Ask any of the Jr's who have worked for me how positive I am.
Then you get blah who comes on and calls me a loud mouth?
waiting for your PM... that will never come because some people only hide on the internet and are afraid to use their real name...mainly because most of what they put out is BS.
Regardless, if blah ever did work for me and did a good job I would try to get him/her more work as well... I'm positive about that.
Peace, BK

back to my last week of vacation

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:46 »
Way to keep it classy, btkeele! I rest my case.
I try to stay positive, but, it's a little annoying when an almost 18.1 that has been kept so busy by Atlantic starts slamming Bartlett...my question is IF Atlantic has had you so busy, why even call Bartlett?
I have been lobbying my plants to hire more Jr's for years now (when we could not find enough Sr's) I am also working with the recruiters to keep the ones who have worked for me (and did a good job) find more work.  I am also using my DOE contacts to try to find them work as well.
Ask any of the Jr's who have worked for me how positive I am.
Then you get blah who comes on and calls me a loud mouth?
waiting for your PM... that will never come because some people only hide on the internet and are afraid to use their real name...mainly because most of what they put out is BS.
Regardless, if blah ever did work for me and did a good job I would try to get him/her more work as well... I'm positive about that.
Peace, BK

back to my last week of vacation

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:02 »
I like turtles.

« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2011, 06:33 by Rennhack »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Sapp Associates

• Very Lite User
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2011, 09:34 »
OK, all of you had help getting in the Rad World. So do your part. (PAY IT FORWARD) This Jr. HP's/RCT's need your help. Why not open a door and help someone.

SAI
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2011, 09:36 by Sapp Associates Inc. »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2011, 01:04 »

Barry is a prince. He is probably working right now to get great jobs for all mentioned here and they'll never even know who arranged it or how it happened.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?