Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ludlum 26 Integrated Frisker honeypot

Author Topic: Ludlum 26 Integrated Frisker  (Read 15529 times)

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
Ludlum 26 Integrated Frisker
« on: Nov 19, 2011, 08:31 »

Has anyone used this? It seems pretty good, no box, a lot less weight than a standard GM, easy to transport,  does 1 minute counts, scans, has a high count lock, alarm set point.   2AA batteries for a 1000 hour continous use.  Very easy to read counts can look right at the back of the probe.

Can someone comment on this?  I may make a reccomendation to my stafff to get some of these.  Any draw backs over a regular pan cake probe?

I found a video on this also, looks great.

« Last Edit: Nov 19, 2011, 08:42 by thenukeman »

Offline ChrisNichols

• Very Lite User
Re: Ludlum 26 Integrated Frisker
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:53 »
i had the luxury of handling one at the ludlum convention this year! it super light weight and easy to use. I havent used one in the field as of yet.

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2011, 09:04 »
Along the same lines is the Thermo RadEye B20 and the AB100.  Really fun toys.  Much better than those we had when I was young.
LM

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2014, 03:44 »
There is  a new one out,  a Ludlum 26-1 that also measures dose rate and is energy compensated.   Anyone here uses a Ludlum 26-1?  any problems??   It looks good on paper.

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #4 on: Oct 07, 2014, 10:53 »
I have used both the L 26 and the RadEye at TVA facilities.  The 26 is very nice for surveying personnel and tools as long as you listen to the counts and not watching the digital readout.  The digital jumps up and down very quickly and you can confuse a jump for for actual contamination if you do not let it settle out in that one spot.

The RadEye is very very nice except for when it comes to doing dose rates under piping.  It is very difficult to look at the meter if it is upside-down, unless you are under the pipe looking up.  I love having to only carry one small instrument for both dose rates and counting smears.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2014, 12:10 »
Ludlum  Price  list  only  893  dollars. 

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2014, 01:28 »
A GM Pancake is a GM pancake is a GM pancake,...

bells and whistles notwithstanding,....

if it blows the air up your skirt buy it,...

it's still just a GM pancake,....been that way for over 70 years,...

if you're bored,...

I like this place:

http://www.orau.org/ptp/museumlibrary.htm

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2014, 03:22 »
A GM Pancake is a GM pancake is a GM pancake,...

bells and whistles notwithstanding,....

if it blows the air up your skirt buy it,...

it's still just a GM pancake,....been that way for over 70 years,...

if you're bored,...

I like this place:

http://www.orau.org/ptp/museumlibrary.htm

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:21 »
No Box and does well on dose rate because it is energy compensated.  Not just an ordinary pancake.  It looks  like it has lots of syrup and whip cream.  I will try one tommorrow and let you know!!!  High count and dose rate memory ( Chocolate chips)Positive waves!!!! [dowave] [dowave] [dowave]
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2014, 02:22 by thenukeman »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:31 »
No Box and does well on dose rate because it is energy compensated.  Not just an ordinary pancake.  It looks  like it has lots of syrup and whip cream.  I will try one tommorrow and let you know!!!  High count and dose rate memory ( Chocolate chips)Positive waves!!!! [dowave] [dowave] [dowave]

Dose rate from a pancake probe? I have used rules of thumb way back to my Navy days in prototype but this probe is energy compensated and calibrated to Dose rate?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 14, 2014, 02:33 »

Has anyone used this? It seems pretty good, no box, a lot less weight than a standard GM, easy to transport,  does 1 minute counts, scans, has a high count lock, alarm set point.   2AA batteries for a 1000 hour continous use.  Very easy to read counts can look right at the back of the probe.

Can someone comment on this?  I may make a reccomendation to my stafff to get some of these.  Any draw backs over a regular pan cake probe?

I found a video on this also, looks great.

Video comes up as "private" do you have another open source?

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:06 »
The video is just a model 26 I posted 3 years ago.  A 26-1 came out but there is no video for it yet.  Here is the Model 26.  

Ludlum  26-1.    The web page for this is http://www.ludlums.com/support/product-manuals  Look under Ludlum 26-1.

This costs 893 dollars for both contamination and exposure function.  They use 2 AA batteries and are light weight.

Features include,

1.   Flash if overloaded.
2.   Large visible display of numbers that are easily read as scanned.
3.   Toggle between Dose rate and CPM.
4.   High Dose Rate and Contamination memory. So you do  not have to write it down. It is automatic.  Just reset when surveying additional areas or items.  
5.   Light weight
6.   Can be clipped to belt or can have handle for wrist so can let hang and write on clipboard then pick back up to survey. Can walk with in your hand.
7.   Simple to use .  Just a few buttons.
8.   Far better than carrying heavy instruments or multiple instruments.
9.   Alarm set points.   We could set these to different nuclides if we had a conversion factor for disintegrations per minute 100 centimeter square.  
10.     Flat Energy Response Curve.  
11.   Count Time Range: 1 second to 20 minutes, or "0" enables continuous
counting until stopped by user.
12.   Battery Life: approximately 500 hours of operation (as low as 250 hours with
backlight configured for continuous-on), 16-hour low-battery warning.
13.   Construction: high-impact plastic with water-resistant rubber seals and
           separate battery compartment

« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2014, 04:24 by thenukeman »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:20 »
The video is just a model 26 I posted 3 years ago.  A 26-1 came out but there is no video for it yet.  Here is the Model 26.  

Ludlum  26-1.    The web page for this is http://www.ludlums.com/component/virtuemart/equipment-type-3/medical-117/radiation-safety-183/response-kits-201/integrated-frisker-509-detail?keyword=26&Itemid=0

OK after browsing the manual I as thinking in terms of whole body exposure for dose rate it appears that the reference to dose applies to surface dose for applicable isotopes so it seem it does nothing new in those terms.

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2014, 04:23 »
Had the wrong manual sorry above  here is the 26-1.  This is on the Ludlum instrument list.
http://www.ludlums.com/support/product-manuals

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2014, 05:03 »
Had the wrong manual sorry above  here is the 26-1.  This is on the Ludlum instrument list.
http://www.ludlums.com/support/product-manuals

Attachable filter, that makes more sense, didn't notice if it had the capability of of calibrating for both modes for dual use in the field. Probably there I did not do that much effort.

http://www.ludlums.com/component/virtuemart/ambient-dose-equivalent-filter-460-detail?activetab=downloads
« Last Edit: Oct 14, 2014, 05:07 by Marlin »

Soul Merchant

« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2014, 02:56 »
Trying to think positive- the built in angle works well except for personnel surveys, especially self surveys. No experience with dose rate function, however my question would be can it be saturated and at what ranges? Who hasn't met at the crossroads of convenience meets limitations for GM probes...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #16 on: Oct 16, 2014, 03:27 »
Trying to think positive- the built in angle works well except for personnel surveys, especially self surveys. No experience with dose rate function, however my question would be can it be saturated and at what ranges? Who hasn't met at the crossroads of convenience meets limitations for GM probes...

all GMs can be saturated,...

see the Ludlum manual  referenced earlier in this thread, page 3-2, it's a rather short, less than insightful, gloss over of overload and it's root cause,...

go here for a better synopsis of saturation in a GM detector,...

http://www.radpro.com/PANCAKE.pdf

and here,...

http://www.radpro.com/RSO-10-5-Master.pdf

page 13, GM pancakes are just about all the same post 1975,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?