Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Concise NUF Study Guide  

Author Topic: Concise NUF Study Guide  (Read 82514 times)

CRAZY HORSE

Re: Concise NUF Study Guide
« Reply #25 on: Sep 15, 2012, 07:56 »
is this the same as the pdf I already have? the first page starts out as follows...

RP CRAM NOTES
NukeWorker.com's Super Abbreviated Study Guide for the Nuclear Utilities Fundamentals (NUF) Radiation Protection (RP) Exam
By Michael D. Rennhack
This is an extremely abbreviated study guide, meant only to be a quick refresher for technicians that have already taken the test, or who have already studied the full text. Knowing this material will not teach you everything about being an RP, the other study guides do that. This is just a quick refresher for our online practice test.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2012, 11:43 »
is this the same as the pdf I already have? the first page starts out as follows...

RP CRAM NOTES
NukeWorker.com's Super Abbreviated Study Guide for the Nuclear Utilities Fundamentals (NUF) Radiation Protection (RP) Exam
By Michael D. Rennhack
This is an extremely abbreviated study guide, meant only to be a quick refresher for technicians that have already taken the test, or who have already studied the full text. Knowing this material will not teach you everything about being an RP, the other study guides do that. This is just a quick refresher for our online practice test.

Yes.  The new version is cleaned up a bit, and now has pictures.  But the meat and potatoes are the same.
« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2013, 02:51 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Feb 22, 2013, 02:49 »
If you purchased a Kindle version of RP Cram notes please click here and post a review.

There are only two reviews for the kindle version and they are both negative.  I have been told by many people that it is a great book and it has helped them.  If it  helped you, please spread the word by giving it a good review.  On the flip side of the coin, if it needs improvement, I'm open to suggestions.

If you purchased a copy of RP Cram notes Paper back please click here and post a review.

If you purchased the Nook version of RP Cram Notes, please post a review here.

Offline wave2k

• Lurker
Re: Super Abbreviated NUF Study Guide
« Reply #28 on: Apr 02, 2013, 02:14 »
Have my NUF exam next week and this would be REALLY helpful however neither amazon or nook will let me buy it as im CURRENTLY located in the UK, though and moving to the USA pending on the results of my exam.

A .PDF would be most helpful.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #29 on: Apr 02, 2013, 04:50 »
Have my NUF exam next week and this would be REALLY helpful however neither amazon or nook will let me buy it as im CURRENTLY located in the UK, though and moving to the USA pending on the results of my exam.

A .PDF would be most helpful.

You can download the kindle app to your computer or phone for free.  Or read it online with the kindle cloud reader.

And here is a page with links to all of the different free: Kindle readers for every platform.
« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2013, 04:50 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #30 on: Sep 23, 2013, 09:16 »
Great news everyone!  Amazon dropped the price on the Paperback to $8.13 (From $9.99), and they allowed me to add the kindle to the "Matchbook" program, which means that if you buy the paperback, you can get the kindle version for just 99 cents (instead of the $2.99 they usually charge for the kindle version).  So now you can get The paperback plus Kindle version both for a total of $9.12, instead of $9.99 for the Paperback, or $13 for both.  This is a great deal.

Update: I just read the fine print, and it says that the Matchbook program ""...will not appear on Amazon.com until the program is fully launched in the coming weeks."  So hang on for just a little longer.
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2013, 09:53 by Rennhack »

ross77

« Reply #31 on: Sep 30, 2013, 02:29 »
Great news everyone!  Amazon dropped the price on the Paperback to $8.13 (From $9.99), and they allowed me to add the kindle to the "Matchbook" program, which means that if you buy the paperback, you can get the kindle version for just 99 cents (instead of the $2.99 they usually charge for the kindle version).  So now you can get The paperback plus Kindle version both for a total of $9.12, instead of $9.99 for the Paperback, or $13 for both.  This is a great deal.

Update: I just read the fine print, and it says that the Matchbook program ""...will not appear on Amazon.com until the program is fully launched in the coming weeks."  So hang on for just a little longer.

Hello,

I want both for 9.12, that sounds like a great deal, but do you know when this program will be launched? I can't wait too long so I guess I can just spend the 13 bucks.
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013, 02:31 by ross77 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Sep 30, 2013, 07:59 »
I want both for 9.12, that sounds like a great deal, but do you know when this program will be launched? I can't wait too long so I guess I can just spend the 13 bucks.

I don't know when the Matchbook program will begin, other than "October".  However, according to the link below "For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases will soon allow you to buy the Kindle edition for $2.99, $1.99, or $0.99. Available for thousands of great print books purchased new from Amazon, going all the way back to 1995 when Amazon first opened its online bookstore."  So I'd suggest you buy the print edition now, and wait to get the kindle version until it gets cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&docId=1001373341&linkCode=ur2&tag=nukeworkercom-20
« Last Edit: Sep 30, 2013, 08:04 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2013, 09:46 »
I just got an email from Amazon telling me that the Matchbook program was now live.

I also noted they changed the price for the paperback to $8.99.

jwill60

Re: Super Abbreviated NUF Study Guide,
« Reply #34 on: Nov 08, 2013, 02:28 »
Great stuff just downloaded it on my Kindle and so far so good. thanks Mike

Offline joebet

• Lurker
« Reply #35 on: Jan 06, 2014, 04:07 »
The formula you have shown in the Cram Notes Guide for calculating an air sample is incorrect. It should be NCPM divided by ( eff x vol cc x 2.22E6 ). This will give you an answer of 6.98E-8 uCi/cc. If you use the formula you have shown you get an answer of 1.38E12 uCi/cc.

Offline alphazulu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2014, 06:29 »
What were the numbers that you used to calculate 1.38e12 uCi/cc?
In the notes the formula is provided as ncpm/eff x 2.22e6 x volcc.
1.396e-3/20,000 is another way to calculate the same answer

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #37 on: Jan 07, 2014, 03:41 »
To make it easier:

dpm/liter x 4.5E-10=results in uci/ml (or cc)     if given volume in cf, there are 28.3 liters/cf
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 03:45 by mars88 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #38 on: Jan 07, 2014, 05:32 »
To make it easier:

dpm/liter x 4.5E-10=results in uci/ml (or cc)     if given volume in cf, there are 28.3 liters/cf

To the best of my knowledge, there are no cubic feet questions.  All the volume is in LPM or cc.  "To make it easier", Lets not confuse them with info they don't need.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 05:32 by Rennhack »

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
« Reply #39 on: Jan 07, 2014, 06:03 »
Then the d/l conversion IS easier. 

By that I mean "dpm/liter x 4.5 E-10=results in uci/ml" is much simpler than dealing with division using 2.22E6 along with the other factors--even with a calculator.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 08:35 by mars88 »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:06 »
Then the d/l conversion IS easier. 

By that I mean "dpm/liter x 4.5 E-10=results in uci/ml" is much simpler than dealing with division using 2.22E6 along with the other factors--even with a calculator.

Ummm... 'x 4.5e-10' is exactly the same as ' /2.22e6' since 1/4.5e-10 = 2.22e9 and changing liters to ml makes 2.2e6. I can't remember the last time I took a sample in liters*, and the conversion is necessary somewhere along the line. So... no savings.

* Although some days I barely remember what I had for breakfast.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Jan 07, 2014, 10:57 »
I only take samples in liters, and multiplying is always preferable to dividing--so lots of savings for me (37 minutes last year alone).

If you do sample in ml, then just use 4.5E-7.
« Last Edit: Jan 07, 2014, 11:12 by mars88 »

Offline Imaginos

• Moderate User
« Reply #42 on: Jan 08, 2014, 12:28 »
I only take samples in liters...

Expand your horizons!   ;D
"I'm not quiet; I just don't demand to be heard." ---George Harrison

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Jan 08, 2014, 08:39 »
If you think that multiplying is easier than dividing, you need to practice your math or get a better calculator.

If you are not joking about 37 minutes being a lot of savings over a year you need to get a better life.

If you only take samples in liters then I guess you can be forgiven due to your lack of experience.  ;)

This is not the place to do this.  Please refrain from this line of replies, and re-read the forum rules.  This applies to everyone, not just the poster I quoted.
« Last Edit: Jan 08, 2014, 08:40 by Rennhack »

Offline dusky

• Lurker
« Reply #44 on: Jan 13, 2014, 07:24 »
Is the PDF still availible?

Offline alphazulu

• Very Lite User
« Reply #45 on: Jan 13, 2014, 10:54 »
Is the PDF still availible?

See above. Amazon made him remove the free version. Support the author its only a couple of bucks!

Offline joebet

• Lurker
« Reply #46 on: Jan 16, 2014, 02:36 »
What were the numbers that you used to calculate 1.38e12 uCi/cc?
In the notes the formula is provided as ncpm/eff x 2.22e6 x volcc.
1.396e-3/20,000 is another way to calculate the same answer

The formula shown in the guide is (ncpm) (eff) (2.22E6) (vol cc) = uCi/cc. This is incorrect. There is no division symbol in the formula show in the guide that I downloaded. ( ) means multiply. The correct formula is (ncpm) / (eff x 2.22E6 x vol cc) = uCi/cc

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2014, 01:22 »
The formula shown in the guide is (ncpm) (eff) (2.22E6) (vol cc) = uCi/cc. This is incorrect. There is no division symbol in the formula show in the guide that I downloaded. ( ) means multiply. The correct formula is (ncpm) / (eff x 2.22E6 x vol cc) = uCi/cc

I'm not sure which guide you are referring to (and which version of the study guide), but my copy of the RP Cram Notes on my Kindle has the "/" in there.  It's also correct in my Copy of the paperback RP Cram Notes.

I also checked the RP-5 section of the 'official NUF 'study guide, and it's correct there as well.

So, please give me more details on WHAT you downloaded, and from where.  And even WHEN if you could.

Offline dixichicknik

• Very Lite User
« Reply #48 on: Jan 21, 2014, 10:15 »
I've also considered making a version that is not 'super abbreviated'.  Something for the Jr Tech's out there.  Let me know if there is any interest in that.
I would be very interested in this and I'm sure many of the other Jr. HP techs I know would be as well!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #49 on: Jan 21, 2014, 02:23 »
I'm not sure which guide you are referring to (and which version of the study guide), but my copy of the RP Cram Notes on my Kindle has the "/" in there.  It's also correct in my Copy of the paperback RP Cram Notes.

I also checked the RP-5 section of the 'official NUF 'study guide, and it's correct there as well.

So, please give me more details on WHAT you downloaded, and from where.  And even WHEN if you could.
eye looked at that last week, had know / on my  kindle on my laptop.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?