Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Working in Norfolk NSY honeypot

Author Topic: Working in Norfolk NSY  (Read 9852 times)

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
Working in Norfolk NSY
« on: Dec 08, 2011, 04:50 »
I've read that this shipyard is stinky and dirty and have noisy jets flying by a lot, and it's the least favorite shipyard to work in, is this true? Someone who has been to this shipyard please share your opinion. Thanks

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Working in Norfolk NSY
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:16 »
Every shipyard is typically the least favorite, so don't worry about that. Yes, it's in a bad area, but so are the Newport News and Bremerton yards. I've been at all three, yes, they're usually dirty, at least compared to a typical navy base, guess what, it's an industrial environment, but I've never heard aircraft flying over head (probably something to do with no fly zones/restriced airspace).

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2011, 07:29 »
There's the occasional USCG helicopter overhead, and constant news/traffic guys up in the air, but certainly not jets.  An no, you really don't want to spend any time right outside the gates of the SY...one of the highest crime areas around.  It's old, not well heated or air conditioned, and constantly under some form of construction.  Other than that....
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

drayer54

« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2011, 11:08 »
Maybe the choppers are covering the crimes outside the gate (a concealed carry permit is $45 in VA, easy to get) or covering the nearby terrible tunnel traffic. The local police have a crime map online if this is a major concern. I know several people spending their post navy honeymoons working there and they all like it. Supposedly it is easy to get in...
The facilities are old and dirty, not as "nice" as nnsy but it's not that bad if you regularly rinse, lather, repeat... I've been told (disclaimer) that the pay isn't as nice there as it once was. I would look at the area before moving in or consider a commute. Any local can tell you where to avoid the jet noise in the area.

Good luck...
« Last Edit: Dec 08, 2011, 11:33 by Drayer »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:21 »
There's the occasional USCG helicopter overhead, and constant news/traffic guys up in the air, but certainly not jets.  An no, you really don't want to spend any time right outside the gates of the SY...one of the highest crime areas around.  It's old, not well heated or air conditioned, and constantly under some form of construction.  Other than that....

I also hear that the guys who provide oversight are rather unpleasant  ;)
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2011, 05:26 »
...and no $$$ :(
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 10, 2011, 03:32 »
What do you mean no $$$?

Is the crime area outside the shipyard something that I need to worry about as I work there? Also, anyone worked as an engineer? 

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2011, 01:13 »
What do you mean no $$$?

Is the crime area outside the shipyard something that I need to worry about as I work there? Also, anyone worked as an engineer? 

Reading between the lines, I would think he's implying that the pay is low.

That said, during our lovely 6 month tenure there, people were robbed pretty steadily. Not the greatest area, to put it nicely. Although the strip club with the hourly rate motel right out side is a nice touch, I would say the buddy system would be a good idea :p

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2011, 05:37 »
A buddy system at a strip club / hourly rate motel???  You squids are warped.

Well, it's pretty much mandatory now since the Laurel and Hardy CNO tours  >:(

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2011, 06:40 »
A buddy system at a strip club / hourly rate motel???  You squids are warped.

lol sharing is caring matt :p

Lol, I meant walking to your car alone at 10pm isnt the best idea haha

Well, it's pretty much mandatory now since the Laurel and Hardy CNO tours  >:(

what about fan rooms again? :p
« Last Edit: Dec 10, 2011, 06:43 by Starkist »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2011, 07:03 »
Not so scary if you have a recently purchased Texas Defender with you...

http://bondarms.com/bond-arms-guns/texas-defender

You mean he can't just fling an Yngwie demo CD like a ninja shuriken and cut the muggers in half?  :P

Offline NukeLDO

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2012, 07:15 »

I also hear that the guys who provide oversight are rather unpleasant  ;)

Sometimes the truth hurts!
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:55 »
Reading between the lines, I would think he's implying that the pay is low.

That said, during our lovely 6 month tenure there, people were robbed pretty steadily. Not the greatest area, to put it nicely. Although the strip club with the hourly rate motel right out side is a nice touch, I would say the buddy system would be a good idea :p

Yup, that was my point. The Shipyard was a great place to get training, some time, and then leave. From an RP standpoint, the yard is a frustrating place to work. The controls are completely unrealistic for the conditions. ALARA in the shipyard means, picking up 100 milliRem external to ensure you don't get 100 ncpm on the bottom of your shoe. It has been a while since I worked there (Newport News actually), but have heard recently that it hasn't changed much.
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?