Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Waiting and hoping
honeypot

Author Topic: Waiting and hoping  (Read 13573 times)

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
Waiting and hoping
« on: Dec 13, 2011, 12:03 »
       Today was the day, I had my interview.  I tested a year ago and got a the bad news, Neither a recommend on the POSS or the BMST.  So back to the books, and the search engine. Found Nukeworker and away I went.  Practiced the POSS for speed and accuracy.  Went to a remedial math class to dust off the areas of my brain that had not been used since NPS class 8901 ;D.
                                             I want to thank all the people here that gave advise on how to practice for the test(s) and what to do for the behavioral interview.  Hopefully I had the answers the board was looking for.  The only bad thing is now I have to wait until mid Jan to get an answer.

Will keep everyone informed

Scott

Offline drajundust

• Very Lite User
Re: Waiting and hoping
« Reply #1 on: Dec 13, 2011, 01:28 »
What position did you interview for?  I also have an interview soon and I am nervous about the questions they are going to ask.

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 13, 2011, 03:20 »
Good luck Buffa. I just interviewed at Peach Bottom myself and agree; waiting sucks.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:54 »
Ah, peach bottom, my former home. Good luck all!

To the OP, I'm impressed with your determination. Instead of laying down and blaming others, you took ownership of your weaknesses and set out to fix them. Very impressive actually.

One piece of advice, I'd try contacting them once or twice to remind them that you're alive.

How do you feel the interview went?
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:31 »
drajundust- Equipment operator. The questions are varied, the HR person that was in the interview went over how they ( the panel) wanted the answers. STAR.  "S"ituation or "T"ask. Your "A"ctions. Final "R"esults

Broadstreet- When did you interview?

Higgs- Thanks for the kind words.  Its hard to swallow your pride sometimes and ask for help.  I felt it went ok, but my concern was trying to explain how a CFB (Circulating Fluidized Bed boiler) was very similar to a BWR. On a side note I did complete power school but did not complete the pipeline. Long story short, 19 years old, fast car, and a lead foot.( demonstrated unreliability IE speeding tickets)

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2011, 07:12 »
Buffa, I interviewed the day after I took the POSS and BMST because they flew me in from out of state. I just found out I was recommended on both a few days ago.

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:27 »
Well time for an update.  I called the recruiter on monday.  Received an e mail today that the site is still reviewing the packages of everyone.  I will let you know when I hear something further.  This waiting is terrible.

drayer54

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:37 »
       Today was the day, I had my interview.  I tested a year ago and got a the bad news, Neither a recommend on the POSS or the BMST.  So back to the books, and the search engine. Found Nukeworker and away I went.  Scott

Good  on ya for the hard work and keeping at it. Don't feel too bad about not getting it the first time. I was in a room last week where a VAST majority of the room was walked out after failing the POSS. It happens......

The waiting is tough and I am in the same boat. Good luck to you!

DDD

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:28 »
I was in a room last week where a VAST majority of the room was walked out after failing the POSS. It happens......

You mean EEI gives a POSS test more powerful than my Mullet-ized NPS notes can cover?  ;)

drayer54

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2012, 11:35 »
You mean EEI gives a POSS test more powerful than my Mullet-ized NPS notes can cover?  ;)

3 out of the 4 who did pass were ex-navy (surface) machinist mates. The only nuke that I knew of who failed was a sub EM EWS (he says). I was skeptical.

Over 20 applicants in the room.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:51 »

Hardly. 2nd grade math, 3rd grade graphing, and 5th grade assembly. The navy people that fail it are just cocky buttheads, who didnt take five minutes to go over the practice exam.

drayer54

« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:16 »
Hardly. 2nd grade math, 3rd grade graphing, and 5th grade assembly. The navy people that fail it are just cocky buttheads, who didnt take five minutes to go over the practice exam.
Agree.
I would think that one who can score high enough on an ASVAB to be a nuke.... could pass a basic math, reading, and physics test.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:31 »
Well time for an update.  I called the recruiter on monday.  Received an e mail today that the site is still reviewing the packages of everyone.  I will let you know when I hear something further.  This waiting is terrible.

I'm pulling for ya! I hope you get good news soon!

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 20, 2012, 02:33 »
Another week of nothing.  Dropped an e mail and a phone message.  Still hoping.  I hope the old saying "no news is good news"  holds true.

Has any one heard from Exelon concerning the Equipment Operator jobs at Peach Bottom?  If I remember the add correctly the start date is March.  6 weeks.............

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Jan 20, 2012, 03:16 »
I heard back from Exelon HR this week with a conditional offer. They're bringing me in for the medical exam/access requirements in a few weeks with a start date of March 5th.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012, 03:17 by BroadStreetBully »

drayer54

« Reply #15 on: Jan 20, 2012, 03:25 »
Another week of nothing.  Dropped an e mail and a phone message.  Still hoping.  I hope the old saying "no news is good news"  holds true.

Has any one heard from Exelon concerning the Equipment Operator jobs at Peach Bottom?  If I remember the add correctly the start date is March.  6 weeks.............

One utility offered me 14 days prior to their class starting and wanted me to fly out for the security access deal that week. This gave me 8 days buffer time and move time.

I respectfully said no....

Moral of the story is that 6 weeks out is no time to panic. Email, Call, Fax, and Pigeon Message that recruiter....
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012, 03:26 by Drayer »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:04 »
I heard back from Exelon HR this week with a conditional offer. They're bringing me in for the medical exam/access requirements in a few weeks with a start date of March 5th.

Congrats!! Welcome to the industry!

Offline Drumr78

• Lurker
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2012, 08:50 »
Any one else hear anything from Peach Bottom? I am also still waiting to hear something.

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:54 »
Any one else hear anything from Peach Bottom? I am also still waiting to hear something.

I will be emailing and calling again by tomorrow.  This waiting is a killer!!

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2012, 02:32 »
Received a "canned" e mail response that said The site is still finalizing candidates, should there be an update you
will be contacted. So I am still waiting. 

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2012, 04:42 »
 -K -K Well I got the thanks but no thanks email reply from Peach Bottom :'(.  In a nutshell we filled with candidates the more closely matched the job.  Suggestions, Recomendations?  Is age a factor at all?  I am over 40 and did not think that my age could hurt me but I could be wrong.  Oh well there is always the next cycle..........

Offline NoogaTiger

• Light User
« Reply #21 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:18 »
The average age in my NLO class seems to be between 35 and 40. I know three of the guys are >40, there may be a 4th and 5th. One guy is either close to or over 50. It's more likely that referrals/experience were the difference. You've come too far to quit trying. If you continue the effort you've displayed this far, I think you'll make it.

Offline Buffa98

• Very Lite User
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2012, 04:55 »
Thats kind of what I thought in a round about way, but during the testing breaks I am the only one that worked at a power plant or had NPS as a background. 

Now I realize they may have been people like me from the last cycle that passed both the POSS and the BMST and were a little ahead of me on the list? 
I am still scouring the job boards,  Looking for an opening.

Exelon has one out at Byron station but I can not uproot the family at this point.

Scott

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?