Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outages and returnees honeypot

Author Topic: Outages and returnees  (Read 43509 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Outages and returnees
« Reply #25 on: Dec 21, 2011, 04:26 »
There is the negative of course that B and A look at me as more of a free agent so they aren't looking to do me any favors, but they don't try to guilt me into doing a job I don't really want to do either, silver lining. 

For me, so far, this approach has benefited me.  I have talked to "loyalists" who have benefited from the other approach also, so there is the other side of the coin and I can see that it has possibilities too.

I think that sums it up.  There is more than one approach, and what works for one person, isn't going to work for another.  I think YOUR approach is for a small percentage of the population. -- Lets call them the 1%'ers  ;)  (Lets face it, if you aren't a super tech, this isn't going to work)  The vast majority of people would benefit from the other approach.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #26 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:03 »
I know quite a few that do this.  But it is the minority.  Not super techs, but guys that will go in and work any job.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #27 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:37 »
Not super techs, but guys that will go in and work any job.

One mans trash, is another mans treasure.  Often, "go in and work any job" is enough to be a super tech.  Employers like low maintenance employees, that just do what they are told, and are competent doing it.  That's all it really takes to be a super tech.  Show up when you are supposed to, do what you are supposed to, don't bitch, and do the job right the first time.  Bingo, you are super.

So, to NOT be a super tech, show up when and where you want, do what you want, bitch when told to do something you don't like, or in a way you don't like, and screw the job up a few times.  Generally, do anything you can to annoy your employer, because... you know... you are smarter then they are.  And they must be trying to get over on you some how.

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #28 on: Dec 21, 2011, 06:55 »
I am thinking I should have posted this in PolySci. ;) :P [hijack]

I just wanted to get an educated insight as to why I see on the forums that some guys have job after job after job, yet when I try calling 2X a week for months, I still get the answer that there were no approvals for my resume yet. And of course, it isn't with just one staffing company.

I just wanted to find out, should I hang up the idea of working as a HP this spring and go on to something else, or are the chances good that a 10+ year 18.1 with 8 months of plant experience will get picked up at the last minute?

For those not familiar with AZ's UI, it wouldn't even pay for the gas I used to drive to and from work.
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #29 on: Dec 21, 2011, 10:10 »
I was looking at the outage schedule, and it looks like you should at least get one job.  Looks like quite a bit of work.  Keep trying.  I agree with Renn.

Chimera

« Reply #30 on: Dec 22, 2011, 08:30 »
One mans trash, is another mans treasure.  Often, "go in and work any job" is enough to be a super tech.  Employers like low maintenance employees, that just do what they are told, and are competent doing it.  That's all it really takes to be a super tech.  Show up when you are supposed to, do what you are supposed to, don't bitch, and do the job right the first time.  Bingo, you are super.

So, to NOT be a super tech, show up when and where you want, do what you want, bitch when told to do something you don't like, or in a way you don't like, and screw the job up a few times.  Generally, do anything you can to annoy your employer, because... you know... you are smarter then they are.  And they must be trying to get over on you some how.

For a moment there I thought you were being sarcastic.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #31 on: Dec 22, 2011, 02:33 »
II just wanted to get an educated insight as to why I see on the forums that some guys have job after job after job, yet when I try calling 2X a week for months, I still get the answer that there were no approvals for my resume yet. And of course, it isn't with just one staffing company.

I just wanted to find out, should I hang up the idea of working as a HP this spring and go on to something else, or are the chances good that a 10+ year 18.1 with 8 months of plant experience will get picked up at the last minute?

For those not familiar with AZ's UI, it wouldn't even pay for the gas I used to drive to and from work.
eye don't think u.i. can be collected while going to work, unless you're  passing out carts at walmart. 

10 year 18.1 'n getting no bites on that resume?  hmmmmm... i have been hearing that the spring outage season will be slo.  guess the rumors have sum truth.

good luck.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #32 on: Dec 22, 2011, 04:25 »
Anyone have an idea on how staffing goes for outages? I know returning people get preference, but how does someone get into a plant that has never been there? I have been working with a few staffing companies for spring outages, but haven't gotten any approvals for a HP spot anywhere in 3 months.

Am I just worrying too soon that I won't find any work in the spring? I am an 18.1 HP with 4 more months needed to be a 3.1.

Any advice, ideas, or knowledge is appreciated.

-Doc

Have you tried the Zion job posting by Bartlett?

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:14 »
Have you tried the Zion job posting by Bartlett?
I have seen the posting a couple of times. But it says they are looking for a 3.1. Anytime I have called big blue about one of those I get the same answer, I don't have the ANSI level they are looking for.

Do you think I should try again?
"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence" - George Washington

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #34 on: Dec 22, 2011, 09:32 »
Do you think I should try again? 

I most certainly would.  Keep in mind the ANSI level is judgemental, by the person justifying the placement (accepting the individual as qualified), not the recruiter.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline jkj

• Light User
« Reply #35 on: Dec 24, 2011, 11:34 »

That's what I would do, if at all possible....get out of HP faster than the speed of light and don't look back.
Words fail me and pictures aren't much better.

"Never take no cut-offs, and hurry along as fast as you can."-- (Virginia Reed; member of Donner party.)

LaFeet

« Reply #36 on: Jan 06, 2012, 11:17 »
I most certainly would.  Keep in mind the ANSI level is judgemental, by the person justifying the placement (accepting the individual as qualified), not the recruiter. 

How true, how true.   I have worked with and trained many people who had no real hp experience from the get-go.  They are now out in the industry doing great.  I am no longer doing the outages as I have moved on to something more challenging.

Doc,  keep searching and keep studying.  I have found that hard workers (like Hamsamich) do tend to get what they asked for.  As for me, I was in the Entergy loop for several years before I managed to expand into other plants.  I worked for both Bartlett and Atlantic.  I had only a few re-directions (let us be polite) with Bartlett.  At least one was corrected by Eric (thank you sir), and I still continued to work for them.

I no longer state "I AM RAY FUCHEK" ....  good luck to all of you -  Lafeet

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Jan 06, 2012, 05:31 »
Yeah, I know it depends on the person reviewing your resume. Just wish mine was a little longer with plant exp. But I did confirm for LaSalle. It isn't a long job, but it is something. Hopefully I will get another job before the season is over.
But in the meantime, it will be nice to be close to home for a bit.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #38 on: Jan 06, 2012, 06:09 »
If you confirmed for LaSalle, did you get them to package it with Quad Cities and/or Braidwood?  That is the normal deal for those units.  Call back tomorrow and ask for it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline navynukedoc

• RP/HP/RC
  • Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Jan 24, 2012, 11:44 »
If you confirmed for LaSalle, did you get them to package it with Quad Cities and/or Braidwood?  That is the normal deal for those units.  Call back tomorrow and ask for it.

It's funny that you posted that. I did ask but they were staffed. Just like the Robinson, Brunswick, Harris trio. Only Brunswick was needing people. (Not sure I bought that one.)

I will take a few weeks off after the LaSalle job and head to Dothan afterward. Not saying  wouldn't go, just not a fan of the snow in my 2 wheel drive pickup. :)

StaybridgeMalvern

« Reply #40 on: Jan 24, 2012, 04:42 »
What recruiting agencies are you guys going through?  I am trying to get people to stay with us during the Limerick Outage... Calling the recruiters would help!!   
Thank you in advance!

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2012, 02:36 »
What recruiting agencies are you guys going through?  I am trying to get people to stay with us during the Limerick Outage... Calling the recruiters would help!!   
Thank you in advance!
PM sent.

Offline Shabazz

• Lurker
« Reply #42 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:19 »
Howdy all. This is my first post on nukeworker. I'm a former Navy ELT with refueling overhaul experience from the Enterprise. I don't have any commercial experience. I've been trying for a couple of months to get onto ANY outage as HP but can't get any nibbles due to the lack of experience. If Limerick would have me, I'd be tickled to start driving East. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #43 on: Feb 10, 2012, 07:18 »
Howdy all. This is my first post on nukeworker. I'm a former Navy ELT with refueling overhaul experience from the Enterprise. I don't have any commercial experience. I've been trying for a couple of months to get onto ANY outage as HP but can't get any nibbles due to the lack of experience. If Limerick would have me, I'd be tickled to start driving East. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are a bit late in the outage season, but keep hounding Bartlett and DZ Atlantic - be the guy that will go anywhere on short notice. If you are looking for outage work - those companies are your choices..... if you are available when they need a person, and are willing to show up, that could be your break.

Good luck   :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #44 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:13 »
Check your PM's,...

GLW

former MM1/SS/ELT yadda yadda yadda

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #45 on: Feb 10, 2012, 05:07 »
Check your PM's,...

There's an emoticon for that!

[PM]

wiesner1

« Reply #46 on: Feb 15, 2012, 11:50 »
I got on as a Jr. HP at Farley in March. I have worked one commercial outage that lasted 6 months and am one class away from having an Associates degree in Nuclear Technology done. I'm not sure how I got on and I don't know if I have any advice. I looked at the outage schedule and picked the recruiter who seemed to still have vacancies and I concentrated on them. I said that I would go anywhere, anytime. I re-did my resume and cover letter to maybe make it a little more appealing. I took teachers off my reference list and put Bartlett techs that I worked with on there instead. I'm not sure what happened but I got on and I am breathing a sigh of relief. Anyway, good luck. And thanks to any Bartlett people who helped me get this job.

Offline mlinkrpt

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Outages and returnees
« Reply #47 on: Feb 23, 2012, 10:00 »
Anybody know what is happening @ Prairie Island??? From good friend that Ops turned down O.T. and outage went from 30 day to 75 day...
o0o0o0  o0o0o0o0o0

Offline ARRRRPEEEE

• Very Lite User
« Reply #48 on: Feb 23, 2012, 11:33 »
Operators do not have an outage agreement, therefore, no overtime! Half of the Rent-a -techs laid off.

Offline ARRRRPEEEE

• Very Lite User
« Reply #49 on: Feb 24, 2012, 09:36 »
Can you think of any plants that will have trouble staffing next fall ?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?