Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Beauford D Sligh

Author Topic: Beauford D Sligh  (Read 16028 times)

ajmerkel

Beauford D Sligh
« on: Dec 17, 2011, 01:25 »
What are your thoughts on Beauford D Sligh?  Any good stories or memories?  Post them here!
This post is Approved by Beauford D Sligh.

wlrun3@aol.com

Re: Beauford D Sligh
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:20 »

Legend, mentor, tribal elder, irreplaceable...they broke the mold when they created him.

nukewood

« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2011, 02:53 »
Jovial, humorous, reliable, hard worker, filled with L'Chaim.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2011, 08:15 »
The best story teller. Always a great mentor. I know I can always count on a great reference from him.

Offline nickscott13

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:48 »
For as many stories that Beau has to tell, he is also has a wealth of knowledge that he is just willing to pass on to someone who wants to hear it.  There have been many times that I have worked with Beau where we were on lunch and I just asked him for advice.  Most of the time it was just his RP tip of the day, but sometimes there were times where I really needed an answer and he was always more than willing to teach me and explain to me the right way, the wrong way, and the RP way to get things done.  The thing I love about Beau is he always preaches to "do it the right way, not the Beau way."  I would estimate that Beau has probably spent the better part of 5 hours explaining to me the skill of covering valve jobs.  Nothing scares me more than valves and Beau has always helped me learn the tricks to covering valves without getting a PCE. 

His knowledge is amazing, but Beau's best quality is how he treats people.  He always has a smile on his face and a great story to tell.  He treats people with respect, even if he doesnt particularly like that person.  If he disagrees with you, he politely but directly hits you in the face with the truth. 

Beau is a man that I am lucky to call a friend.  We have spent countless hours talking about life and many more hours talking about women.  He has listened to me when I was confused, pissed off, and just needed an ear to speak to.  The legend of Beauford D. Sligh should not just be about his RP skills, but more based on the kind of person he is and how quite frankly, he is one of the all around great people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

Nick Scott

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:27 »
Beauford has always been there. Drop a CRD he'll help pick it up. (He loves drywells) If there is a fire in containment he will always be the last one out, (always looking out for his fellow workers). I think he has even performed CPR on a guy in the cafeteria.

Okay I may have exaggerated a little, but he is a nice guy.....

Offline thenukeman

• Very Heavy User
  • Elements Rule Battle , Elementis Regamus Proleium
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2011, 04:57 »
Being a DOE Senior with no Nuclear Power Plant experience Beauford helped break my cherry. He was kind and considerate at Brunswick, along with the Gang. I was Roy's Boy Toy mostly.  But sometimes I would be treated to Beauford and his kind gentle hand.  His wisdom and knowledge of breaking a cherry was legendary.  I learned alot of tricks at his hand. I stayed on the turbine deck with just a few dpm and mR/hr.

After a few outages under my belt I met Beauford again at Brunswick.  I was again with his group.  But by then I was a Road Whore.  I was given the key to the locked highrad area everyday. I covered locked high rad jobs with mrad smearable.  I again experienced his knowledge, but by then I had done and learned most of the tricks of the trade.  But Beauford was always giving, he thaught me things I thought were not possible!!!!!

I will always remember his gentle hand when breaking my cherry on the turbine deck and the rough and hard jobs in the reactor building.  Beauford I will be always grateful and get on my knees to thank you!!!  You tuned me into a good roadwhore.  

But alas after passing my CHP part 1 I am now just mostly a paper shuffling geek.  But I can always relish the times we had.  
« Last Edit: Dec 20, 2011, 04:59 by thenukeman »

Offline Shawnee Man

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:11 »
I hearby ordain Beauford D. Sligh the "Justin- I guarantee-Wilson" of Nukeland!!!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 20, 2011, 10:19 »
BYOOOOOOO! is just one of the nicest people you ever want to know.  We work his butt off at Duane Arnold every outage and he just makes it all seem so easy.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Dec 21, 2011, 05:07 »
So thats what happened to Beauford's butt.  I always thought it was the long walks in the back yard at St. Lucie.

Offline jcwest57

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:15 »
Worked with Sligh back in the early 80's, at San Onofre.  We were the only Southerners in the GET Training Dept.  When we opened our mouths to teach, everyone would look at us kind of funny like and try to understand what the heck we were saying.  Too Funny  Anyway we hit it off and became good friends.  Yes, everyone is right about his story telling, Super Nice Guy.  Didn't see him after I left for many years then ran across him at Duwane Arnold.  We go way back and the stories I could tell about him, well I'll keep it between him and I.

slattmandu

« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:22 »
Remember working with Beauford at Monticello. Very hectic day in the Drywell doing preps for recirc. pump removal/replacement. Only 4 RP techs in the well long durations in the building. Activities amd work pace picking up. I get a short break and the only person in the break trailer is Beau. I start venting a little since I was wrapped up by some weird cold or flu virus and over the counter meds weren't doing the trick.  Beauford listened to my short rant and then gave me some minimal feedback. I remember telling him "I believe you just talked me down and back to reality" whatever he told me in reflection of my rant had a calming effect. I thanked him and reported back to the well for my next jump. I thiink they need to bottle reflections from Beauford!

Offline oaitw

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2012, 07:07 »
i luv man

rapid

Offline Jack U. Loyd

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2013, 05:07 »
Beauf's stories always start with his favorite phrase!... "Back in the day"........

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2013, 05:12 »
Back from the grave!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #15 on: Jun 27, 2016, 01:46 »
I met Beauford this Spring at Brunswick,  he was my relief.  We worked on the Flex mode project during outage.  Was a pleasure working with him.  Always had good turnover and again had good stories to tell me too! 

nukewood

« Reply #16 on: Jun 29, 2016, 08:11 »
A real pro . Like me . he has a lot of stories and most of them start out as true.

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jul 06, 2016, 05:08 »
Nukewood, you know they broke the mold when Beauford started in the industry. (was it 1962 or 1963 ?)
Common folks like us can only try to imagine what it would be like up there on the pedestal with someone as great as
" The Beauford".   I heard that he is doing humanitarian flights with his new Honda Jet. He really is an incredible guy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?