Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I want to be a Navy Nuke.

Author Topic: I want to be a Navy Nuke.  (Read 5585 times)

NFWannabe

I want to be a Navy Nuke.
« on: Dec 18, 2011, 04:04 »
Hi everyone, this is my first post and I have to say, this is an awesome forum. I've been lurking for a little while now and have learned and laughed over many things! Anyways, I have been searching/browsing and after reading other people's stories, I'm wondering if I should even try to get into NF.

My background:
Im 24 and my 25'th birthday is in July and I have been out of high school for over 7 years now (I still managed to rack up about 30+ college credits). I just took the ASVAB and got an 82 AFQT with only some minor "brushing up", unfortunately, I have never taken physics, trig, or calc, BUT, I am good at math and enjoy it very much. I am also very interested in topics related to, even if unrelated to NF, quantum mechanics, The Unified Field Theory (Mostly M-theory but who isn't interested in that?) and am a BIG advocate of nuclear energy. I do know, however, that simple "interest" isn't going to get me anywhere, so this will bring me to my next section...

My strategy:
OKAY, I know that some of you might be opposed to what i am about to say, but, if i can, I do believe that with 5-7 weeks of dedicated study (8-10 hrs a day, 7-8 days a week) I can learn and grasp the core of Algebra II, Physics, Trig and Calc. With that, I DO BELIEVE I can pass the NAPT test (please tell me if it is impossible though), but moreover, even if I do pass the NAPT test, can i still make it though A-school, NPS, and NPTU. I know for a fact that I will be among very intelligent people, and becoming a Nuke will be a very difficult field of study, and for a little while I might have to struggle to keep up, but I just need to know, can it be done? Can i become a Navy Nuke?

I am dedicated to making this work and I will go as far as i can, and try as hard as I can. And until/unless my brain pops like a birthday balloon, I cannot, and will not, give up as long as I have a fighting chance.

Anyways, here are my scores:

GS 59
AR 60
WK 58
PC 61
MK 54
EI 61
AS 61
MC 64
AO 68
VE 60
CS 59

AFQT 82

NUC 238

Thanks to anybody and everybody who can leave me any information and advice. I do need a realistic answer of how my chances are looking, and even if its a joking reply ,a reply is still a reply and I really appreciate it (i still do have a sense of humor ya' know  ;) ), Thanks!

-Shawn "NFWannabe"
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2011, 09:02 by NFWannabe »

Offline Rooteh

• Very Lite User
Re: I'm want to be a Navy Nuke.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2011, 08:47 »
Don't ever worry about "Having the education level necessary to complete the program".

The thing about this program, is they will teach you everything you need to know to make it through.  If those recruiters tell you that you have what it takes, then by golly you do!   

Anyone with the determination and work ethic to make it through, will make it.  It is that simple, because the navy will force you to study until you can regurgitate with great detail the information given to you on a graded evolution.

With that said, Good luck!

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2011, 11:24 »
Shawn.

I are glad you want to be navy nuke. [sic]
Despite Rooteh's "reassurances" some people just dont have what it takes upstairs, and recruiters lie... Nothing wrong with that, but not everyone is meant to go through. That said, MOST people who qualify nowadays are able to complete the program. The navy has its own unique way of teaching, and they quite literally start with 1+1=? and build up from there (quickly).

Lastly, pending you get in, you're going to be among more idiots then you think you would :p  Good luck.

(thank god english isnt a course segment at NNPTC, or you would be done for! :p)

Rooteh's own words...
I've seen many good men come and go, some for discipline reasons and many more because they just didn't know how to study the material quick enough to digest it.
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2011, 11:26 by Starkist »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:38 »

(thank god english isnt a course segment at NNPTC, or you would be done for! :p)

Hello pot....... 

this is kettle.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2011, 05:21 »
Hello pot.......  

this is kettle.

I are spekaing fust fnie
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2011, 05:21 by Starkist »

NFWannabe

Re: I want to be a Navy Nuke.
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2011, 09:03 »
Title corrected haha  [oops] [dowave]

So, anyways, I realize that I was not looking for an "answer" from anybody. I have all the answers I'm looking for, I just need to get my thoughts off my chest. Thanks guys  :P I'll still be lurking though  ;)

PS:

This...

I are spekaing fust fnie

...is friggin' hilarious  +K
« Last Edit: Dec 18, 2011, 09:14 by NFWannabe »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?