Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Will my schooling do me any good?

Author Topic: Will my schooling do me any good?  (Read 5490 times)

Offline myk72773

• Lurker
Will my schooling do me any good?
« on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:44 »
 I will be graduating from Bismark State College in May 2012 with an AAS in Nuclear Power Technology. I will also receive the National Academy for Nuclear Training Certificate. This program is supported by Exelon. I guess I'm wondering if this will do me any good in landing a job? I have a 3.75 GPA, does that matter? After reading many of the forum posts, I've become somewhat discouraged! Obviously I'll be trying for a NLO position, but I don't see many of these jobs available. I'm located in Wisconsin, so there are some plants near me. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!! (Maybe I should just go with plan B, accounting??)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Will my schooling do me any good?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:40 »
I will be graduating from Bismark State College in May 2012 with an AAS in Nuclear Power Technology. I will also receive the National Academy for Nuclear Training Certificate. This program is supported by Exelon. I guess I'm wondering if this will do me any good in landing a job? I have a 3.75 GPA, does that matter? After reading many of the forum posts, I've become somewhat discouraged! Obviously I'll be trying for a NLO position, but I don't see many of these jobs available. I'm located in Wisconsin, so there are some plants near me. Any advice or words of wisdom would be much appreciated. Thanks!! (Maybe I should just go with plan B, accounting??)

What Certificate are you getting from NANT? There are several.

Any training or certification will help -- to what extent depends on the job, who is hiring, who is interviewing and what training and/or certificates the competition has.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:04 »
You would be competative for NLO, you simply need to find the postings and apply. They hire in cycles. Check everyday, it could be a while.

Do you bring any other relevant experience to the table?
« Last Edit: Jan 04, 2012, 11:04 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Content1

« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2012, 11:11 »
What did the people tell you at the school you attended?  The program at Millstone gave the intern positions at the plant so that when they graduate they will have a leg up on the jobs.  You might contact plants that have them.  You sounded a little depressed that somehow you wasted your time.  You have never wasted time if the education you have received is relevant to your field.  You should also be prepared to move to where ever the jobs may be.  Don't settle for road tech jobs, go for the permanent job.   There is always some turnover in the field.  People get too ill to work.  You need to keep a contact list of all the possible places you qualify for.  You certainly have a leg up on the Apprentice Nuclear Plant Equipment Operator positions at most nuclear plants.  I took a year of contacting to get my first nuclear job, it takes dedication on your part and you will succeed.

Offline myk72773

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:49 »
Hey, thanks for the responses. To answer some of the questions; the certificate can be used to bypass duplicate training fundamentals and I don't have any relevant experience, unless 2 temp stints at a coal-fired plant totaling 18 months 10+ years ago counts. I'll start sending out resumes and keep doing it until I get hired!! Oh yea, I'm definitely willing to go anywhere...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?