Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Lost my clearance, trying to figure out how to get it back...

Author Topic: Lost my clearance, trying to figure out how to get it back...  (Read 14902 times)

Offline sak7467

• Very Lite User
I lost my clearance at my last outage for failing a breathalyzer on-site (random).  Blew a .03 and back extrapolation means that's a positive.  They said only two weeks but i have 2 DUIs, one in 2004, one in 2006.  Is there any way i can get my clearance back and does anybody know which alcohol classes i would need to go to get back in? any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks...

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
Your history implies you're undependable and unfit for our line of work.  The problem is deeper than what a few alcohol classes can solve.  Forget the clearance and worry about #1. 

Offline sak7467

• Very Lite User
that's exactly the kind of advice i wasn't looking for... i've done this job for 10 years in plants all over the u.s. and this is the only issue I've had at work, no safety issues, no personel issues.  I've been a lead on many high profile jobs such as steam generator changeouts and reactor vessel head replacements... I just need to know what I can do to get my clearance back.

Graphic

This will be shorter than normal cause I'm on my cell and work in about 5 hours. You should have gotten a letter stating how long you were denied for.. Assuming you aren't a utility employee then you probably will be denied for 3 years given your history. 2 failures is 5 years automatically..3 leads to permanent denial. However I can't really say because I don't know your whole history. Either way to return to work you will need a determination of fitness and probably an probably a sae(substance abuse eval). Your other DUIs were before your last access so it doesn't necessarily hurt you but it doesn't help when trying to determine if you have a SAE. Your best bet is to contact access at the plant you were termed from and ask what you need to do to regain clearance. You probably will be able to regain access due to the low BAC when you blew. if you go through the process of sae etc. Most will have to be done on your own dime. I just don't have enough info to give you a clear cut answer. Sorry for slow response I'm hiring in at a new plant currently so been hectic. These links may help enlighten you a little on the process

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/cfr/part026/part026-0075.html

Offline sak7467

• Very Lite User
thank you, that's very helpful, I'll look into it, I appreciate the link.  If you don't mind more info, what is an SAE because I'll do whatever I need to do to get back to work.  I am just having trouble figuring out what kind of program is gonna be required so i can sign up for it and be accepted by my next access authorization.  I talked with one of the head guys for one of the maintenance staffing companies and he just said an AA course but when i contacted AA where I live they said they don't offer "courses" but only group counseling, like regular AA meetings... I'm trying to meet the requirements, just don't know what they are...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
You probably need to check out AA anyway.  You have an affliction that needs to be cured - whether you want to admit that or not.

You are not a drunk, but you are almost certainly an alcoholic.

Warning signs are all over the place.  Three incidents where your life has been negatively impacted by the use of alcohol are no coincidence.  There can only two possible explanations for that:

1. You are incredibly stupid, reckless, and unlucky (and there is no such thing as luck).
2. Your body is addicted to ethanol.

It seems from what you have posted that number 1 is highly unlikely.
That leaves number 2.

One of the requirements, of which you speak, it that you are going to have to give up having alcohol in your body while at work.  There seems to be only one way to do that - quit drinking altogether.  For that, you're going to need some support.  It isn't going to be enough to take and pass some classes.  That only proves that you received and retained the information.  What matters is what you do with it.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 09:42 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline disneyfanatic

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Number 1 don't listen to those self riteous p-icks. Number 2 you will need an evaluation from a drug and alcohol rehab center (cost 100-200). Number 3 you will need to get your clearance back at the plant you were denied at (a lot of plants won't take a chance). good luck bro

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Better yet, listen to the people who are truly trying to help you, instead of a chump who thinks he knows the deal because he got back in after failing a random drug test some time ago.

Graphic is the subject matter expert in security.

AG is just trying to help you solve your problem.

Maybe knowing how to spell righteous makes me a prick, but that doesn't mean I'm giving you bad information.

Get help because it will better your life.  The job, and all the things leading to and coming from it, are a means to financial support - and therefore are good.  Your life is more than that, though.  Any idea that you have of meeting "whatever it takes" has to mean more than "whatever the bare minimum is" to get your clearance back.  Recognize your problem.  Then, overcome it.
Godspeed to you.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2012, 05:45 by Already Gone »
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
You are not going to like to hear what "Already Gone" said, but it's the truth.  Just doing what you have to do to get back in isn't going to be enough.  There WILL be another occurrence if you don't change your lifestyle.  MANY seasoned nuclear workers have had drug and alcohol issues in the past.  They had to change their life to stay nuclear, or their life changed for them because they couldn't.  There are only 2 directions you can go from here, up (stop the destructive habits) or down (ignore the advice, and try to get back in, but not really change anything that got you where you are today).  There is no lateral move.  You can't continue to drink 'a little', and 'manage it', and just 'drink while off the clock'.  THAT behavior got you where you are today.

'Graphic' is the Subject Matter Expert on the answer you seek.  'Already Gone' has a message you really need to listen to to prevent your life from going farther in the crapper.

We are your brothers, and we want only to help you. Some of us are just more rude and crass about how we say it.  Remember, everyone here cared enough to actually read what you had to say and respond to it. -- They could have been indifferent like the people you already tried to get advice from.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?