Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Power in the news. honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear Power in the news.  (Read 13563 times)

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Nuclear Power in the news.
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:15 »
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Nuclear Power in the news.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 05:30 »
Heard about this a couple of months ago.  Ouch!
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/09/us/technicians-web-surfing/index.html?iref=allsearch

Allow me to add some more "Flavor". No one was fired. All the operators in question were ATC operators... and this happened about a year and a half ago.  The RO's were all removed from watch, and had to "requalify".

Figured their massive switch gear fire and tritium leak would be more "pressing news" then this... -.-
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012, 05:36 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:52 »
It is a big deal.

Peach bottom, in contrast, fired the last guy they caught surfing in the room. No fines.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:54 »
It is a big deal.

Peach bottom, in contrast, fired the last guy they caught surfing in the room. No fines.

Its a big deal for those that have an understanding of the system.  Look at the asinine comments below to find it out why it really doesn't need to be publicized like that.

In any case, why are they JUST NOW reporting it? 

edit: Its a sea of ignorance.

They didn't have the nerve to leave their stations and use the bathroom too, did they? talk about abusing their position - fire everyone of them immediately!

And the moral of the story is, bring in a newspaper or magazine instead.

Not sports and fishing websites!!! That is appalling, to think they would rather spend a few minutes reading sports than gauges. These are some hardened criminals the NRC has found
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012, 12:58 by Starkist »

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
Re: Re: Nuclear Power in the news.
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2012, 07:43 »
The reason that it's just coming out now is because the letter of violation was just finalized... Jan 5th, I think.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2012, 08:29 »
The real moral of the story is..., Big Brother is watching.

If you want to do a serious job, then take the job seriously.

"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Neutron_Herder

• SRO / STA
  • Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 06:39 »
It shouldn't matter if Big Brother is watching or not...

Do the right thing because that's what you get paid to do!

As my SM put it the other night... "if you're on a computer doing something that you think you have to close when the boss walks in then you're effing up. "

That pretty much sums it up.
"If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking" - Gen. George S. Patton

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 01:06 »
It shouldn't matter if Big Brother is watching or not...

Do the right thing because that's what you get paid to do!

As my SM put it the other night... "if you're on a computer doing something that you think you have to close when the boss walks in then you're effing up. "

That pretty much sums it up.

What if the boss didnt care? Thats pretty much what happened.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:39 »
Thanks for insight into what someone else was thinking when, according to the news article, operators "deliberately violated" the safety procedures and exhibited "deliberate misconduct".  I did not realize you had your fingers on the pulse of RB Operations when this all went down.

I was friends with some of the RO's that were apart of it(worked with one during the outage because he was removed from watch). I was working there as an operator when this happened, so YES, I did "have my fingers on the pulse of RB operations when this all went down."

Any more astute observations matt?

« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 09:52 by Starkist »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:49 »
You say burned as if they didn't do anything wrong.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:51 »
You say burned as if they didn't do anything wrong.

Oh no, they were dead wrong. I will change it to say punished. I was shocked they werent fired.... strong union for the win!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:49 »
Ok just making sure. I doubt they could handle firing that many at once. Reactor operators don't grow on trees. The fine is miniscule compared to shutting down or some other crazy idea they would come up with to fix the manpower shortage.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 10:50 by Higgs »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:51 »
What if the boss didnt care? Thats pretty much what happened.

I just saw this.

There is only one name on a license.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:20 »
I just saw this.

There is only one name on a license.

Fair enough.

Ok just making sure. I doubt they could handle firing that many at once. Reactor operators don't grow on trees. The fine is miniscule compared to shutting down or some other crazy idea they would come up with to fix the manpower shortage.

Makes sense.

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:53 »
If you are the OATC (or whatever your station uses to designate the primary Licensed Reactor Operator), you must be attentive to the controls.
In the case of this station, the procedure specifically stated the prohibition. That made it easy for the NRC to say the RO violated the station procedure, and the company didn't enforce the procedure. That is why both the ROs and the utility were cited.

You could be more distracted from monitoring the controls by discussing with a coworker the recent national college football championship game and if some other team should have played. Of course, that wouldn't leave a trail like the surfing.....

My understanding from the earlier NRC letters is the NRC took such a strong stand because the station did not do enough to satisfy the NRC.
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: Mar 06, 2012, 02:35 »
I'm surprised the company didn't block internet access in the control room to prevent things such as this.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #16 on: Mar 06, 2012, 03:12 »
I'm surprised the company didn't block internet access in the control room to prevent things such as this.

It did/does. They found away around it using a search function that opens an unblocked browser. That method has been fixed of course.

Offline CT-Mike

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Mar 06, 2012, 03:17 »
It did/does. They found away around it using a search function that opens an unblocked browser. That method has been fixed of course.

As I learned early on in my Navy career, bored nukes are dangerous.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?