Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NLO Job Postings?  

Author Topic: NLO Job Postings?  (Read 15672 times)

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
NLO Job Postings?
« on: Jan 12, 2012, 02:16 »
I am a former navy nuke JO with a BSEE with just under two years as EOOW so I'm looking at NLO as my entry point into a nuclear career. I have been scouring the various utility career sites and I can't seem to find any job postings for NLO. Am I looking in the wrong places?

I'm also planning on taking the POSS as soon as I find out who offers it in the DC area (I have a message into EEI to find out who offers it in the area) I'm very confident I can pass it after seeing the practice tests. I figure once I have passed POSS that I should be able to submit the results to many plants and it should be a great door opener. Is that a good assumption?

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: NLO Job Postings?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:07 »
All your initial questions should be answered somewhere in here:
http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,250.0.html

After you've read all that, ask some specific ones.

Thanks for your service, and good luck
 :)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:10 »
www.indeed.com (send your thanks to drayer!)

Most companies hire once a year. You missed a whole bunch already.

Currently, Progress is hiring NLO's.

With your degree and experience, you can take a look at engineering positions as well. It seems every utility needs engineers pretty badly. You can go from engineer to instant SRO as well.

POSS is given by usually given by utilities to candidates they are interested in interviewing. APPARENTLY some colleges will give you the POSS and you will be "recommended" if you pass. When you apply, you would state you are recommended, the company will give you a poss score transfer sheet, and you fill that out and give it to the original place that gave you the test.

Lastly, the practice tests arent a good indicator of the actual exam. Same style questions (a 7th grader can ace the test) as the practice, but you don't get the "heat" of answering 40 questions in 2 minutes by yourself.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:19 »
As he mentioned above, you just missed a bunch of NLO hiring cycles. Southern Nuclear is still looking for instant RO candidates and SSS candidates up on the Nukeworker jobs board as of a couple days ago.

Since you have a degree, and it's been a while since you've had the privilege of announcing 'The reactor is critical" over the 2MC,

When I got my butter bars in 1987 ...

you may want to consider that going NLO would be a lot like starting as brand-new MM2 on the boat. Lots of running around, heat stress and being on the bottom of the totem pole.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 03:21 by HydroDave63 »

bigdog46

« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2012, 03:25 »
Check out the Energy Northwest Web Page EO class some time in the spring.

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:00 »
As he mentioned above, you just missed a bunch of NLO hiring cycles. Southern Nuclear is still looking for instant RO candidates and SSS candidates up on the Nukeworker jobs board as of a couple days ago.

Since you have a degree, and it's been a while since you've had the privilege of announcing 'The reactor is critical" over the 2MC,

you may want to consider that going NLO would be a lot like starting as brand-new MM2 on the boat. Lots of running around, heat stress and being on the bottom of the totem pole.

I fully understand that I'd be starting in knuckle dragger land but that seems to be a good way in. I don't expect with my engineering and management skills that I'd be there long but as I only have sixteen months as EOOW, and that was twenty years ago, I had better start at the bottom. I will also keep my eyes open for engineering jobs.

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:40 »
I applied for both the Progress and Energy openings. Interesting that the Progress job is for Crystal River, the plant with the cracked containment last year, so apparently they intend to keep it running.

And I just got a call back from EEI and they do not offer the POSS test stand alone. Only through plants or as part of a two year technical college program.

Fermi2

« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:02 »
Incorrect. Most plants will not accept POSS results from another utility and most plants will not give you your result.

drayer54

« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2012, 05:27 »
www.indeed.com (send your thanks to drayer!)

Most companies hire once a year. You missed a whole bunch already.

Currently, Progress is hiring NLO's.

He is correct. I logged on to www.indeed.com everyday for the last month or two and searched for "nuclear operator" and was able to hit most of the utilities. They also have an Iphone app that will show you new postings only. Good site. TVA, STP, OPPD, & Wolf Creek didn't seem to get hit by that search, but you can check them individually. Some of those post jobs on this site, but indeed is a one stop shop for jobs.

If you have a plant that you really want to work at, my advice is to test with another utility first. I didn't finish every section the first time I did it. I did pass, but I am confident the results on my second test were slightly higher and I finished with time to spare. Plus, you can usually send your results to the other utility. Doing that is an at your own risk thing and doesn't always work.

The questions on the POSS are not difficult, but a majority of the applicants (from what I have seen) will fail that test. The difficulty isn't what gets people, it's the speed. You don't study for the POSS, you PRACTICE for the POSS. Minor difference.

Progress took down their Crystal River AO posting yesterday and doesn't appear to be taking new candidates for Brunswick or Robinson. I could be wrong on that so call and ask or email them at HR. I have some contacts if you would like. I was very impressed with the folks  and experience at Progress Energy.

2 out of the 3 utilities that I interviewed with asked for POSS results from another utility or asked I had already taken it. I am not sure if the 3rd will take them.

You did just miss a few, but keep your eye out and I'm sure you'll get lucky. Good Luck!
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 05:30 by Drayer »

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2012, 07:21 »
Once I passed the POSS for the first time, I put it right at the top of my resume and reapplied for the openings I had not heard back from yet.  I started getting calls immediately, literally that same day.  

Both Exelon and Progress were willing to accept POSS scores from another company for what it's worth.  Getting a utility to give up your scores is another matter entirely.
« Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 07:21 by Papa Nuc »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:40 »
Once I passed the POSS for the first time, I put it right at the top of my resume and reapplied for the openings I had not heard back from yet.  I started getting calls immediately, literally that same day.  

Both Exelon and Progress were willing to accept POSS scores from another company for what it's worth.  Getting a utility to give up your scores is another matter entirely.

As of this month, they still do.

ski2313

« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:56 »
Both Exelon and Progress were willing to accept POSS scores from another company for what it's worth.  Getting a utility to give up your scores is another matter entirely.

FPL as well....

EEI keeps the scores on file. There's a formal request form (sent to EEI) that does not require the former utility's permission to obtain.

drayer54

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:49 »
Constellation is hiring...

https://careers.constellation.com/psc/careers/EMPLOYEE/HRMS/c/HRS_HRAM.HRS_CE.GBL?Page=HRS_CE_JOB_DTL&Action=A&JobOpeningId=104445&SiteId=3&PostingSeq=1&

This one was north of the Drayer acceptability line, but you might like it.

Southern too...
In Alabama Gramma Slamma Roll Tide territory...
http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?ipath=EXIND&siteid=cbindeed&Job_DID=J3I5TR5X87S515VHNX9

or in the growing Georgia territory...

https://southerncompany.taleo.net/careersection/cs_eh/jobdetail.ftl?job=146140&src=JB-10820

I think this one would be my choice of the three. It would probably be cool to be around those new AP1000 plants.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2012, 09:53 by Drayer »

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:59 »
Your constellation link didn't work - seems to be a problem I have with all the companies that use peoplesoft as their gateway - but I searched their careers and all I saw was a nuclear intern posting.

Fermi2

« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:59 »
Both Exelon and Progress were willing to accept POSS scores from another company for what it's worth.  Getting a utility to give up your scores is another matter entirely.

FPL as well....

EEI keeps the scores on file. There's a formal request form (sent to EEI) that does not require the former utility's permission to obtain.

Assuming the utility sent the scores to EEI which in many cases they don't. Neither of the utilities I have worked send them to EEI.

DTE graded it as you took it and as soon as you were done you were either selected for an interview or they sent you home.

Some utilities, like TVA grade it for a variety of jobs. In the past they have sent out a sheet that says what TVA Jobs your results qualify you for. DTE didn't do that, it was simply Go No Go.

Wanna bet EEI asks the utility permission as the utility paid for the tests.?

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:02 »
What's a Profiles XT test? One of those tests that tries to predict what sort of leader you will be?

drayer54

« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:04 »
DTE graded it as you took it and as soon as you were done you were either selected for an interview or they sent you home.

I like it when companies do this. It's much nicer than making me fly out twice and less wondering. Not all were organized enough to do this....

Your constellation link didn't work - seems to be a problem I have with all the companies that use peoplesoft as their gateway - but I searched their careers and all I saw was a nuclear intern posting.

It works for me... I don't know what to tell you, it could be that I'm logged in somewhere.
« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2012, 10:05 by Drayer »

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:10 »
You need to try a few different browsers if it isn't working for you.  Between firefox and safari I was able to search every companies nuclear careers section.

Fermi2

« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:31 »
The same SM who hired me was still running the NLO hiring program when I left. He was an RO when he made the best decision of his life in hiring me. :)

Even in 1990 he had a degree or organization that I did not see from other utilities and by the time I left he had it down to a T.

First he'd distribute the resumes to SMs, SROs and ROs so we could screen them and to see if there was anyone we'd recommend from past experience. The NLOs would get a shot too.

Assuming we were hiring 15 I believe we'd ask up to 40 for interviews. As a rule you'd lose about 10 on the POSS.

Everyone stayed at the same hotel. Kevin would usually have a couple SROs, 2 or 3 ROs and 2 or 3 NLOs for interviews.

The first night there'd be a big reception with food and drinks. The members of the interview team would eat with the candidates, the candidates could ask questions and get more comfortable with the team. It is also an excellent arsehole filter.

The next day half the candidates would take their POSS while the other half did physicals. In the afternoon they'd switch.

If you didn't pass your POSS you left then.

Then the following day was interviews. In most cases Kevin had job offers out within about 3 weeks.

All in all DTE may have been the most professional and efficient organization I have seen when it comes to NLO hiring probably because they had a Shift Manager in charge who knew his stuff.  Also, we rarely hired dirt bags. (Though in truth I think that's the norm, I have yet to see TVA hire a true dirt bag either).

When I was hired in the big difference was they did not have the reception, the interview was pretty low key. I figured I had the job when after the interview Kevin told me he  had Tigers tickets for that night but couldn't make the game so he wanted to know if I wanted them.

The biggest shocker to me was when I showed up I knew 3 other guys taking the POSS. Two were in my nuke school section and graduated with 3.6 averages. They failed the test. The other was a guy named Don. Great guy. I knew him at Mare and he was the first to get the patented Mikey What The F do you want? when he approached me about something at Mare.

Got to DTE and he walks in. During my interview they asked if I knew anyone else who was interviewing. I told them, Yep Don and if there's still a position open after you hire me I'd hire him too. Turns out he said the same thing. (Yes after our first meeting at Mare we got along fantastically, Don is awesome) They ended up hiring us both. Last I knew Big Daddy was an RO at Fermi. (He was one when I left) Great guy, in fact my entire class was great guts. I still have our class picture on my sitting room wall.

There were a few issues and moments of monumental ignorance. For example, for the 15 years I was at Fermi one of the guys who I hired in with, an otherwise very intelligent individual who also licensed with me as an RO, SRO and was a fellow SM, could never seem to understand what a great Quarterback Jim Plunkett really was. He's now the Ops Engineer at Fermi despite his lack of understanding of Hall Of Fame potential NFL Quarterbacking :)

Offline drewcwsj

• Very Lite User
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:41 »
Great stories!! None of my old shipmates that I can find are in Nuke Power. Think that has something to do with the nuclear climate when we were getting out in the early nineties. Not much going right in the press and a whole bunch of seasoned operators that were dug in. These are the guys that are starting to retire now I think.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:49 »
None of my old shipmates that I can find are in Nuke Power. Think that has something to do with the nuclear climate when we were getting out in the early nineties.

There were always spots at shipyards, DOE sites etc. Perhaps they only looked in one geographic area?

Fermi2

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:56 »
I got out in 1990 and until maybe 1993 there was a hiring craze going on.

It is odd how you'll find ex shipmates in the industry. One of my best friends stayed away from nukes for about 14 years or so after getting out. We stayed in contact and I finally convinced him to apply at DTE. He did and is still there. He had a knack for operating and was smart as heck.

Went on an industry visit to Columbia Generating Station in 2004. Turned out a guy I used to stand watch was the training manager there. Also when I was walking to one of the plant spaces I heard a guy behind me say "Hey do you happen to know if it's possible to fit 800 gallons of water into a 400 gallon tank?" (A reference to a social faux paux I had in the Navy) I started laughing and turned around to find a guy I stood watch with many times at A1W back in the mid to late 80s. BTW he had a great talent for being able to imitate the sound of any alarm at A1W and would drive the feed station watches NUTS by walking behind the SGWLC Panel and making alarm sounds.

This is truly one big incestuous industry.

Offline bobo1erv

• Lurker
« Reply #22 on: Apr 19, 2012, 01:48 »
hello I was wondering is there any contact number to get in touch with the hr at h b robinson station. I took an interview with them back in feb. and I keep checking my profile an it only says "under consideration" thank you

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?