Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shift Hour Question honeypot

Author Topic: Shift Hour Question  (Read 11287 times)

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
Shift Hour Question
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 08:13 »
After reading a lot of posts in this forum, I learn that NLO/SRO work in shift hours. I am wondering how tiring it is to be working 12 straight hours a day? How do you deal with flipping morning and night shifts? Also, when someone works 4 shifts a week of 12 hours shift, i.e. 48 hours total a week, is this the normal working hours, or is the 8 hours what they call the "built in overtime" or what exactly is considered overtime?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Shift Hour Question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:55 »
It's not exactly like you're chopping firewood for 12 straight hours.  But it is still physically demanding.  With the rotating from nights to days and back, there is a serious disruption in the sleep cycle that has to be managed.  Some people simply cannot manage it.  Others have no trouble at all.
The key to staying awake on a night shift is to stay active.  Keeping the heart rate up is necessary to avoid falling off at the controls.

Flipping is really not as bad as it may seem if your body and brain can tolerate it.  Being inside a windowless building actually helps, since you can't tell night from day by the sunlight level.  Night shift workers need to sleep during the day, so an environment free of light and noise is absolutely essential.  The longer "weekends" (which may happen at times other than Saturday and Sunday) are meant to facilitate the change.  If you don't treat them like mini-vacations, you can gradually adjust your sleep times.

As far as the OT question, it depends on the local contract and the schedule.  "Built-in-overtime" violates the labor laws for non-exempt employees.  You have to pay hourly workers for each hour, and you have to pay OT for all hours over 40 in a week.  Even for salaried employees, scheduled hours wouldn't be considered built-in.  But the rules for salaried people are different, and averaging is not necessarily a violation for them.  Since their overtime doesn't have to be paid at time-and-a-half, they can simply base their salary on 48 hours (or whatever the average is) as opposed to 40.

Still, you have to refer to the local contract to see what any given plant will do in this case.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:34 »
I have never had an issue on either schedule and if you ask guys the best way to cope you'll get 4678765678976543 different answers. The best I can say is tons of overtime is a game for the young :)

In other words you'll figure out a way of coping that best suits your body, age, and psychology.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:51 »
I first worked at a plant that did 12s. I now work at a plant that does 8s. I MUCH prefer the 12s. Flipping between nights and days was easy for me, I'm not too keen on flipping between mids, days and afternoons. I also don't like working 7 days straight. A 12 hour shift can fly by depending on what is going on. Sometimes it drags too, though. The 7 day off every 5 weeks made for a nice recovery period. :)

12s is a much better rotation, IMO, and I'm hoping that one day my plant gets to go to that. But, there is enough older people that say they will quit if we do so who knows when that will be.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:58 »
I agree. I much prefer 12s.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:06 »
I agree. I much prefer 12s.

5 crews where I'm at, 7-on 7-off 12s. Mega vacation, and once you are on the sleep pattern it is easy to hold it for 7 nights.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2012, 11:15 »
12s are the best as long as you get the time off. If manning is low then it is a challenge till it is recovered.

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:46 »
I first worked at a plant that did 12s. I now work at a plant that does 8s. I MUCH prefer the 12s. Flipping between nights and days was easy for me, I'm not too keen on flipping between mids, days and afternoons. I also don't like working 7 days straight. A 12 hour shift can fly by depending on what is going on. Sometimes it drags too, though. The 7 day off every 5 weeks made for a nice recovery period. :)

12s is a much better rotation, IMO, and I'm hoping that one day my plant gets to go to that. But, there is enough older people that say they will quit if we do so who knows when that will be.

Could you elaborate on what you mean by 7 days off every 5 weeks?
Normally for a shift of 12s, do we work for 1 day and off for another day, rinse repeat, or work for several days straight, then off for several days straight?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:21 »
No, here is an example of a 5 week 12 hour shift schedule;

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,25964.0.html

That particular example the plant worked it so they had an 8 day break. My plant had a 7 day break.

"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline silverstar808

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:29 »
Are there any known long term health related problems from messing up the circadian rhythm?

Offline BroadStreetBully

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:20 »
Are there any known long term health related problems from messing up the circadian rhythm?

Google "shift work sleep disorder." In my experience, some people have a harder time with the hours than others, but for most people it is manageable. My girlfriend's father worked his entire career on shiftwork for PECO and he's still extremely active at 82 years old.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:41 »
Insomnia
Hypersomnia
Dysthymia
Major Depressive Disorder
Seasonal Affective Disorder
Shift Work Sleep Disorder
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

IPREGEN

« Reply #12 on: Jan 27, 2012, 03:01 »
For some it ends in with a reductions of assets via divorce.
But that can happen on any job.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:39 »

If you are worried about work hours in the commercial nuclear industry where there are established laws governing just how much any individual is allowed work in a certain timeframe, you may want to re-evaluate your desire to work for Uncle Sam.

« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2012, 09:42 by cheme09 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?