Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Scaffolding

Author Topic: Scaffolding  (Read 9980 times)

RT@OPG

Scaffolding
« on: Mar 23, 2003, 06:08 »
Any comments good or bad about Excel scaffolding.  They are thinking of using it here and we'd like to know what users think.  

hambone

Re: Scaffolding
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2003, 07:12 »
Excel scaffolding is great if your using it in open areas, but can never completey replace tube lock & knuckles.

DainJer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2003, 10:13 »
I disagree, Excel is faster and easier, once you get used to it.
the deciding factor being what components the plant buys.
at most outages using Excel, they do not buy enough different types of Excel components, which then requires us to use Pole/Knuckle in combination with Excel....and even then its faster than brand, or straight Pole/Knuckle. Ask any tech that has crawled up on a 60 foot Excel scaffold nd they will tell you they felt safer than Pole/Knuckle, it is the only scaffolding that the manufacturer will allow builders to tie off to while erecting.
It is also considered medium-duty, we use it for any rigging below 1000lbs using swivels and a 3 pole triangle set-up.
A single 5 ft TR5 Excel truss will hold 3000lbs
Excel is also the only scaffold OSHA will allow to be built and hoisted to the work location.
As you can tell i like Excel. Talk to anyone that does Byron outages, 85% of the scaffolding is Excel....but remember it is faster, we generally build 400 scaffold in a week. Excel will shorten outages.

Surveyors_mato

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2004, 08:16 »
I have, befor coming over to HP, worked in plants as a carpenter. Excel scaffold is very versital. Very heavy but easy to install. Very, FAST. Still, you will have to use tubelock in some instances and where you can put it will depend on how much room you are working with. Carpenters are easily trained with it(usually pick it up in less than a day)

And lends itself well to a variety of configurations. Also very strong. $$$ is the only problem that I have seen and that is solved by knowing how to use it to it's potential. We somtimes want to use use more than we really need because thats the way it was done with tublock. Once it is installed though, it's so easy to repeat.

harleygirl

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2004, 07:37 »
As an HP, all I know is that excel is a pain in the arse when it comes time for smear and clear in demob. Give me straight poles and knuckles any day please....

duke99301

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28, 2004, 04:30 »
there was nothing like Bamboo at Chin Shan during the pipe replacement in 88.

Austria

« Reply #6 on: Mar 28, 2004, 06:29 »
When it comes to smearing and clearing...well...it all sucks.  ;)

As for climbing around, I agree with DainJer, Excel feels stronger and safer. Very important for an HP like me who doesn't really like heights.  :o

And..... I will personally vouch for the quality of DainJer's scaffolding.
DainJer...you build it. I'll climb it.  ;D

DainJer

« Reply #7 on: Mar 28, 2004, 11:37 »
Hey!   I wiped and cleaned every piece of scaffolding from the pump rooms at Quad Cities, I'm quite aware that it's no fun.

It's impossible to find scaffolding that works for every aspect, but from the trades view, I can build excel quicker in almost every situation.

This keeps the ALARA people happy, keeps me happy when the temp. is above 95.

Austria, I have to work on my scaffolding as well as the next person. I won't build something that will kill myself or others, although I cannot say that for a few other scaffolds I've seen.

Any of the Clinton ps scaffold builders on here? :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?