Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Why joining the navy was the best thing you did honeypot

Author Topic: Why joining the navy was the best thing you did  (Read 10066 times)

Offline RCMomto4

• Very Lite User
Why joining the navy was the best thing you did
« on: Jan 13, 2012, 01:24 »
I've been reading all I can about Navy Nucpoc, as my son is interested.  I've gotten the best and most accurate info from this forum and I thank you for your honest answers.  From what I read, I find a lot of opinions that it's not that great.  I'd love to hear what makes/made it a good time in your life.

Thank you!

Offline Mike_Koehler

• Heavy User
  • I love nukeworker.com!!!!
Re: Why joining the navy was the best thing you did
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2012, 02:12 »
It taught me discipline and hard work..... and the rewards that come from that hard work.
It allowed me to see almost every part of the world...... And realize how fortunate I am to be an American.
It gave me marketable skills...... so that I can support my self and family.
It taught me about all kinds of other people and cultures...... And how much the same we all are inside.

Without my time in the Navy, I would probably be some self centered deadbeat living off of society and I am greatful for the life experiences that it gave me.

Thank You and your son for his service and be proud and supportive of all he accomplishes while serving our country.

Mike Koehler
"Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented
  immigrant" is like calling a drug
  dealer an "unlicensed Pharmacist."
unknown
"If you seal the borders and you stop giving federal benefits to people who are in the country illegally... many of them will simply go home."
Lou Barletta, Mayor of Hazelton, Pa.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:15 »
Put food on the table.
Gave me direction.
Gave me a huge amount of responsibility at an incredibly young age.
Post Navy benefits opens a LOT of doors. From Nupoc, I can only imagine the amount of doors opened is higher. I will get paid money to go to college for free.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:18 »
I owe everything I have to the navy nuclear program.  I enlisted over twenty years ago when I was 17.  I got through high school by the skin of my teeth, a classic nuke....smart...but lazy...

Navy gave me life skills....made me grow up.....and made me realize that I had to work hard if I wanted to succeed. 

Now, 21 years later, I've got a bachelors degree and three masters degrees...... all paid for by the US Navy.

It hasn't been all fun and games, but all in all....the good far outweighs the bad.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

drayer54

« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:20 »
I was able to experience France, Portugal, Dubai, Bahrain, Italy, Greece, & Turkey. 4 of those were experienced on multiple visits. I also got to live in SC, NY, VA, & CA. Some of those sucked, but it got me out Texas for awhile and I got to experience some stuff.

I had a great sense of pride when I completed the nuclear pipeline. I actually had to put a little work in for once.

Uncle Sam paid for my bachelors degree with tuition assistance and I have only begun to tap into my GI Bill.

Finding a job isn't the most difficult thing in the world with this experience.

I even dodged airline baggage fees there for awhile. That's cooler than it sounds.

I also get to go to the VFW with my Grandpa now and actually belong there.

I smiled for every second on the day that I got my DD-214, but I am still glad that I did it.

« Last Edit: Jan 13, 2012, 04:23 by Drayer »

Offline RCMomto4

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:40 »
Wow, you all are awesome!  I thought it would be a great opportunity for a young person and now I know it is.  Hard work, Honor, Courage and Commitment will pay off!

Thank you for your service!

Janet

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:41 »

I am of the opinion that the Navy can change some things but it will take the right woman in his life to change other things.

Most likely a screaming chief will work on that change first!  ;)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?