Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Salary for Naval Reactors Engineer  

Author Topic: Salary for Naval Reactors Engineer  (Read 11281 times)

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
Salary for Naval Reactors Engineer
« on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:49 »
I was recently selected to be a Naval Reactors Engineer as part of the NUPOC program. I didn't do too much research into this before applying, but what exactly is the salary for NR engineer and how does it change with experience? I would have looked this up in detail before I was finalized in the program, but I wanted my decision to be based on the work I was doing, not the pay, and I felt it might bias my opinion. From looking around, I think I've found that the starting salary for O-1 is a little under 60k per year, but that is all I can find. If anyone is currently in the program or has gone through it, your input would be greatly appreciated!

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Salary for Naval Reactors Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:39 »
I was recently selected to be a Naval Reactors Engineer as part of the NUPOC program. I didn't do too much research into this before applying, but what exactly is the salary for NR engineer and how does it change with experience? I would have looked this up in detail before I was finalized in the program, but I wanted my decision to be based on the work I was doing, not the pay, and I felt it might bias my opinion. From looking around, I think I've found that the starting salary for O-1 is a little under 60k per year, but that is all I can find. If anyone is currently in the program or has gone through it, your input would be greatly appreciated!

The salary is the same as for any other O-1. You aren't special just because you work at NR.  You'll make O-2 two years later...and you'll make O-3 about  two years after that.

You also will get a housing allowance based on rank and whether or not you have dependents.  I don't know what that is for an Ensign, but you can find out if you look.

You also get a food allowance...but that isn't very much.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:40 »
The salary is the same as for any other O-1. You aren't special just because you work at NR.  You'll make O-2 two years later...and you'll make O-3 about  two years after that.

You also will get a housing allowance based on rank and whether or not you have dependents.  I don't know what that is for an Ensign, but you can find out if you look.

You also get a food allowance...but that isn't very much.

After five years...you can convert to civilian and then you'll start to get paid more.

“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:34 »
I was thinking something along those lines. Thanks for the info!

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:40 »

After five years...you can convert to civilian and then you'll start to get paid more.

Unless you start at a plant in GA or AL.... [coffee]
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2012, 09:24 by HydroDave63 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?