Facility & Company Information > West Valley

West Valley

(1/8) > >>

Ikesss:
Can anyone give me an idea about life at West Valley, NY?

DecommMan:
Its a typical Buffalo/Western NY area - snowy in winter - lots of skiing places in area, can be hot and sticky in summer.  Nice area overall - away from city far enuough but close enough if you want to go in to city.

People are friendly.

Decomm Man

Ikesss:
I'm from that area, I'm looking more for working conditions at the site...

--- Quote from: DecommMan on Oct 20, 2004, 11:11 ---Its a typical Buffalo/Western NY area - snowy in winter - lots of skiing places in area, can be hot and sticky in summer.  Nice area overall - away from city far enuough but close enough if you want to go in to city.

People are friendly.

Decomm Man

--- End quote ---

DecommMan:
Sorry - can't help you on that one.  I believe DOE is getting ready to go out for bid again by the though.  Lots of small biz and teaming is typically the result of these things nowadays.

McNavy:
Just started there.  Site is extremely conservative on anything radiological.  Sub-contract techs are limited in what they are allowed to do.  Training program is in disarray.  Plan on taking DOE Core exam as soon as you show up.  And you need a 40 hour Hazwoper, regardless.  House Techs are friendly for the most part, but under a lot of stress.  Voluntary Staff Reduction is going on and no one is sure of the future.  As far as a DOE site, my experience is limited, but this one seems to have budget problems.  They will provide you with what you absolutely have to have, but nothing extra.  I.E. bring your own pen.

As far as living in the area, 4/1 thru 9/30 try real estate offices in Ellicottville.  It is a big ski area and that is their off season.  You can get just about anything you want (1 bdrm - 5 bdrm) fully furnished for really decent rates.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version