Career Path > Tax Q&A

Feel free to post your tax questions

(1/3) > >>

traveltax:
Good discussions are very informative!

LaFeet:
Finished a job for my company in northern California,  they reassigned me to Houston Texas.  The family took this as a sign to move back to Florida.

While in California and in Houston I maintained a separate household, I am still paying for a mortgage in Oklahoma. 

Can I deduct expenses away from home as well as the cost of moving for job relocation?

traveltax:

--- Quote from: LaFeet on Feb 01, 2012, 02:29 ---Finished a job for my company in northern California,  they reassigned me to Houston Texas.  The family took this as a sign to move back to Florida.

While in California and in Houston I maintained a separate household, I am still paying for a mortgage in Oklahoma. 

Can I deduct expenses away from home as well as the cost of moving for job relocation?

--- End quote ---

Is this a permanent job (>12 months) or a temporary job (< 12 months)

Starkist:
Technical resident of michigan, payed taxes in louisiana. Doing my tax return,  turbo-tax is appearing to give me credit for ALL of louisiana, and instead taxing me in michigan. I.e. payed LA 8k. Getting 8k back from LA, but now I owe 3k to MI.  Net profit, but confusing. I hope you understand what Im asking haha.

traveltax:

--- Quote from: Starkist on Feb 01, 2012, 04:37 ---Technical resident of michigan, payed taxes in louisiana. Doing my tax return,  turbo-tax is appearing to give me credit for ALL of louisiana, and instead taxing me in michigan. I.e. payed LA 8k. Getting 8k back from LA, but now I owe 3k to MI.  Net profit, but confusing. I hope you understand what Im asking haha.

--- End quote ---

1) You should not be getting back all of your withholding from LA
2) MI taxes worldwide income as you are a resident- they credit you for taxes paid to LA. MI taxes are higher than LA so you owe the difference

Something is amiss in the data.

Turbo tax does not handle multistate taxes that well and all almost all software products from TT to the kinds I use occasionally require an override in a multistate environment

How are you getting everything back from LA?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version