Career Path > Tax Q&A

Feel free to post your tax questions

<< < (2/3) > >>

LaFeet:

--- Quote from: traveltax on Feb 01, 2012, 04:19 ---Is this a permanent job (>12 months) or a temporary job (< 12 months)

--- End quote ---

Both jobs are greater than 12 months.  Same company, different places, different positions (not a raise either).

traveltax:

--- Quote from: LaFeet on Feb 02, 2012, 09:53 ---Both jobs are greater than 12 months.  Same company, different places, different positions (not a raise either).

--- End quote ---

Since the job is considered permanent and indefinite (> 12 months), then you cannot deduct travel related expenses for your job even though its away from your personal home. If the job was less than 12 months, it would be considered temporary and we would have a different set of rules to consider. A permanent home and tax home are 2 different things and this job site is your tax home even though your permanent home is elsewhere. A tax home is where you work, not where you live, unless the job is temporary and then the "away from home" expenses are judged differently.
However, you do have the following

1) Moving expenses to the new place of work
2) Mortgage interest and taxes for up to two homes

traveltax:

--- Quote from: Safety Matt on Feb 02, 2012, 07:51 ---Joe -

First, thanks for your help in this forum and well beyond (waiting for a few more docs to show up before I ship them off to you).

My question:  after we elect Ron Paul as our President and he does away with the IRS and this insane notion that penalizing productivity is a good thing, will you be looking to join us and make your living at a power plant or do you have grander ideas?

--- End quote ---

I am almost finished with my Masters in International Taxation. Plenty of jobs in the transfer pricing, cross border arena. I spent 25 years in patient care and still have my Respiratory Therapy license. I could go back to that too......  :)

Seriously, I would love to see a tax policy that wasn't designed around wealth redistribution and class warfare. The people that gravitate to that think anyone who makes more them is rich. Am I allowed to state this as a forum expert :)

Starkist:

--- Quote from: traveltax on Feb 01, 2012, 05:14 ---1) You should not be getting back all of your withholding from LA
2) MI taxes worldwide income as you are a resident- they credit you for taxes paid to LA. MI taxes are higher than LA so you owe the difference

Something is amiss in the data.

Turbo tax does not handle multistate taxes that well and all almost all software products from TT to the kinds I use occasionally require an override in a multistate environment

How are you getting everything back from LA?

--- End quote ---

I have NO idea whats going on with it.  I'll be contacting turbotax tomorrow to speak with a representative there, and I will let you know what they are saying.

thenukeman:
Is an  Education Credit  for  taking  a class  relating to  health physics   such  as  a  class  to  pass The Certified Health Physics Exam allowable?  I  understand  the maximum is 2,000 dollars.  Is this  still  the case?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version