Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Charges on Hot Particles

Author Topic: Charges on Hot Particles  (Read 41977 times)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Charges on Hot Particles
« Reply #50 on: Mar 06, 2012, 05:38 »
Sometimes I wish it were a mere 38!   ;)

Only 3?  I'm also glad the flea problem had not hit the boards when we were doin some major plugging (10 ea x 5)!  And not even one recordable contamination incident.

I'm not talking about 3 charges in the tubes -- I am talking about them loose in the bottom of the bowl. The equivalent of a full stick of dynamite just laying in the bottom after they fell out of the tubes. We blew a bolted-on steel blast cover across the S/G bay. When I went in to investigate and grab an air sample, my brother told me I disappeared in to the cloud that was rolling out of the channel head. Fun stuff.

No contaminations on that one, either. Of course, that was back in the 'tape-up-the-respirator' days.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #51 on: Mar 06, 2012, 06:06 »
I'm not talking about 3 charges in the tubes

I forgot about that incident!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #52 on: Mar 06, 2012, 09:52 »
came across this article, seems to be aligned to what you guys are discussing.

http://www.anl.gov/Media_Center/News/2010/news100225.html 

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #53 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:04 »
came across this article, seems to be aligned to what you guys are discussing.

http://www.anl.gov/Media_Center/News/2010/news100225.html 

Only if the workers are soaked in water and cesium...

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #54 on: Mar 06, 2012, 10:45 »

Nah, just meaning the general idea of attracting charged radioisotopes. I thought it was neat anyway, not really implying its use (or lack thereof) in a nuclear plant setting.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #55 on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:13 »
The conundrum would be that any combination of blown ionized air strong enough to remove the DRPs is also going to have safety warnings of  'avoid face and eyes, avoid bare skin' etc. Assuming the IH folks agree with the precautions, some of these babies could do the trick:

http://www.ccsteven.com/Static_Control/Ionizing_Blowers/ionizing_blowers.html

or

http://www.esdproducts.biz/Ionization/IonizingGuns/ionizingguns.html
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 11:17 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
« Reply #56 on: Mar 07, 2012, 03:13 »

How could that ever happen?  ;D

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #57 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:51 »

Would this deionizing air knife installed above the passage way prior to the RCA exit point reduce PCEs?
I am pretty sure that using both or either of these items at the CA exit of containment would give the station CHP a cardiac condition.  I don't ever remember being told to send a hot particle airborne as a matter of decontamination.  I do remember that we were taught to tightly contain and control said particles. 

« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2012, 07:56 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #58 on: Mar 07, 2012, 10:37 »
I am pretty sure that using both or either of these items at the CA exit of containment would give the station CHP a cardiac condition.  I don't ever remember being told to send a hot particle airborne as a matter of decontamination.  I do remember that we were taught to tightly contain and control said particles. 

Well.... having it inhaled will contain and control it.... :-> [prize] ROFL :stupidme:
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #59 on: Mar 08, 2012, 01:57 »
I'm just glad we didn't know about DRPs when we set off the three explosive charges in the bottom of the SG Bowl at a certain New York power plant and blew the blast cover off. I can only imagine the fun we would have had collecting them all...

Jeez you are older than dirt  ;)

From what I recall one of the plugs fell out of the tube and landed on the blast bag prior to detonation.... oops

IMHO that was prior to the invention of DRP's but that certain plant was known for having pieces of fuel lodged in various valves like a certain 800+ R/hr drain on a letdown heat exchanger.

I think DRP's actually became more prominent in the industry when our regulators started requiring utilities to fully offload the core for fuel inspections instead of just replacing the spent and doing incore reshuffles but again IMHO.

To the actual question the charges are positive and I have never seen any of the electrostatic devices work worth a hoot.  A massillen or a tacky mat roller is what Ive seen most effective.

Ill also add I have never seen one on an air sample so I would guess that instead of being blown out by an open door, the the fleas are carried out by workers and perhaps moved around a bit by airflow during PC removal.

My two cents
sf

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #60 on: Mar 08, 2012, 06:45 »
Jeez you are older than dirt  ;)

From what I recall one of the plugs fell out of the tube and landed on the blast bag prior to detonation.... oops

IMHO that was prior to the invention of DRP's but that certain plant was known for having pieces of fuel lodged in various valves like a certain 800+ R/hr drain on a letdown heat exchanger.

I think DRP's actually became more prominent in the industry when our regulators started requiring utilities to fully offload the core for fuel inspections instead of just replacing the spent and doing incore reshuffles but again IMHO.

To the actual question the charges are positive and I have never seen any of the electrostatic devices work worth a hoot.  A massillen or a tacky mat roller is what Ive seen most effective.

Ill also add I have never seen one on an air sample so I would guess that instead of being blown out by an open door, the the fleas are carried out by workers and perhaps moved around a bit by airflow during PC removal.

My two cents
sf

Actually, as I stated before, all three fell out (the boilermaker didn't understand what an over-center cam lock was) and the 'blast bag' was a HEPA Hose attached to a steel collar bolted to the manway. The whole thing was blown off the S/G, toward the S/G bay wall and down to the floor. Very loud. That was how we knew something was wrong before we looked. Everyone was wearing a Full Face Respirator and all you could see in the facepieces were eyes. Fairly comical looking back on it... not so much at the time.

I agree that moving the fuel around extraneously probably contributed to the DRP problem, but I also think longer fuel cycles didn't help either.

BTW, I am only older than some dirt.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?