Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Exelon Pension Plan honeypot

Author Topic: Exelon Pension Plan  (Read 21537 times)

Offline Jake1134

• Very Lite User
Exelon Pension Plan
« on: Feb 17, 2012, 10:47 »
Greeting everyone, I am new to this site and the industry. I am in the hiring process with Exelon for a security position and am wondering if anyone knows anything about their pension plan. All it says on the benefits page is that we are entitled to a pension plan at no cost to us (the employee). Anyone know exactly how the pension if formulated? They also offer a 401K with up to a 5% match. Thanks.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Exelon Pension Plan
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:04 »
Greeting everyone, I am new to this site and the industry. I am in the hiring process with Exelon for a security position and am wondering if anyone knows anything about their pension plan. All it says on the benefits page is that we are entitled to a pension plan at no cost to us (the employee). Anyone know exactly how the pension if formulated? They also offer a 401K with up to a 5% match. Thanks. 

They are all different, you need to go back to HR with the question.  I would surmise that they will provide additional information when you are actually hired.

Re: the 401K, if you can do it put in the 5%, it's like getting a 5% raise from the get-go!   ;)
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Jake1134

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:08 »
Thanks, and I already plan on contributing 5% right off the bat. I would be stupid not to.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:12 »

Exelon has gone to a 7% cash balance pension plan.  They put 7% of your base pay into a fake account which is then invested in a long-term bond (or something similar).  I don't recall which specific investment it was, however, I thought it was a decent, safe choice for something such as my pension.  You cannot change where they put that money.  You will be fully vested after three years. 

The 401k match is slightly more complicated than a 5% match.  As long as you put in 5%, they will immediately match 3%.  At the end of the year you can earn up to 3% more based on the company's EPS (earnings per share) for the year.  This year, we received 2.2%, and last year it was the full 3%. 

You will be able to purchase Exelon stock at a 10% discount, either for your 401k or as a separate investment.  They also pay a yearly bonus based on the performance of your site and the company as a whole.

Congrats on the new job!

Offline Jake1134

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2012, 01:35 »
So how much can you expect to earn from your pension once you retire and is it based on a percentage of your highest average monthly salary or your ending base pay? Let's say that I work 34 years and want to retire at age 62, what would my pension amount be per month assuming I am a regular officer making 60,000.00? I am assuming the 401K will be around a couple hundred thousand if I contribute 5% and it is matched by at least 5%, that is not calculating interest or any other growth, just the contributions. I am new to the private sector retirement benefits, so thanks for any clarifications.

DSO

« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2012, 02:27 »
So how much can you expect to earn from your pension once you retire and is it based on a percentage of your highest average monthly salary or your ending base pay? Let's say that I work 34 years and want to retire at age 62, what would my pension amount be per month assuming I am a regular officer making 60,000.00? I am assuming the 401K will be around a couple hundred thousand if I contribute 5% and it is matched by at least 5%, that is not calculating interest or any other growth, just the contributions. I am new to the private sector retirement benefits, so thanks for any clarifications.
Cash balance is invested at long term treasury rat (30 yrs) plus an additional 1% I believe...so thats 4% interest at $4200/yr for 34 years which is about $300,000 lump sum. For the 3% match on your 401k investing at 8% stock market return it would be another $300,000 after 34 years. You can plug these numbers in 401k calculators on line and change the assumptions. And no it doesnt go off a formula percentage of final pay......thats a defined benefit pension. Of course the 5% was your own money you have placed in the 401k, so I didnt calculate that as a company benefit...but that would be another $500,000 or so at the ened of 34 years investing at 8% annual assumption.
« Last Edit: Feb 18, 2012, 02:33 by DSO »

surf50

« Reply #6 on: Feb 18, 2012, 03:10 »
 The cash balance pension is basically an IRA in your name run by the company. There's no magic number of years of work to reach. When you leave the company, whether after 3, 17, or 32 years of service, you get whatever's in that account in the form of a rollover IRA. Which means you can't access it til you're 59 1/2.( Well, you can, but it'll cost you a bundle in penalties and taxes).

Someone told me long ago to throw as much money as I could into my 401K, and to take advantage of any other company sponsored stock discounts or tax sheltered accounts...it was good advice.

Congrats on the new job.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Apr 28, 2012, 02:06 »

Someone told me long ago to throw as much money as I could into my 401K, and to take advantage of any other company sponsored stock discounts or tax sheltered accounts...it was good advice.

!!!  !!!  !!!
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?