Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Info about STA 21

Author Topic: Info about STA 21  (Read 30132 times)

HeavyD

Re: Info about STA 21
« Reply #25 on: Feb 27, 2012, 08:43 »
Before applying to STA-21, there is one very important question that you need to ask yourself.

“Why do I want to be a Naval officer?”

The reason is quite simple.  You are going to be asked this again and again and again.  Why, you may ask yourself?  The reasoning is very simple.  The purpose of the STA-21 program is to find and groom men and women within the Navy to serve as officers, be directly responsible for the performance and behavior of their subordinates.  In short, the Navy is looking for people to be LEADERS.

When your response to the interviewer is “Officers make more money.” well, you have revealed to them, in their eyes mind you, that money is your top motivating factor.  Not being a leader of men and women, not commanding a warship defending America’s interests worldwide, not utilizing your leadership skills to serve your country (see how those sound much better than more money?.

STA-21 requires you to attend any NROTC affiliated college, except for Nuke, Nurse and Civil Engineer (get used to the “except Nukes” thing, you will see it again).  You will continue to receive base pay, BAH and BAS and you will still be eligible for advancement.  You also incur a 6 year obligation upon receiving your PCS (Permanent Change of Station) orders.  If you reenlist to attain this OBLISERV (Obligated Service) you will NOT receive an SRB.  That last statement is current as of about 7 months ago, while I was still on Active Duty.

Take everything with a grain of salt.  The Nuclear community, Navy and civilian, are made up of like minded people who want all of us to succeed, but also want us to establish a good deal of independent thought and self motivation as well.  Doing things on one’s own and digging for own answers before asking the community is vital to success as a Nuke, anywhere.  Knowing where to find an answer is almost as important as the actual answer.

Find YOUR answer to the big question above.  Stay focused on Power School or it will chew you up, spit you out and move on the next poor soul.  Best of luck and Welcome Aboard  8)

P.S. – Here is the link to the STA-21 website, just as a breadcrumb : http://www.sta-21.navy.mil/.

Offline Adamdg51

• Light User
Re: Info about STA 21
« Reply #26 on: Jun 22, 2014, 11:37 »
"hush" and "save us the lecture"... why bother responding to posts that you clearly have no desire to help in.  Does it hurt that I want to answer his questions?  What does it cost you? /rant

Definitely agree with this and with what Justin said. I wasnt on the boards back then but I can see why people have left. People like HydroDave just ruin kids (and smite them into the ground) for asking valid questions. If theres one person that is willing to answer the question without saying "go search it" then its worth asking. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?