Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Air Force Power Production honeypot

Author Topic: Air Force Power Production  (Read 8724 times)

Offline RyanPease

• Very Lite User
Air Force Power Production
« on: Feb 26, 2012, 07:33 »
Hey folks, I just had a few questions on the likelihood that I might be hired as an AO (specifically at Palo Verde) as an Air Force Power production technician... I work with diesels only and work with 5kW to 1.25 MW diesel units. High voltage experience. We run mini power plants in austere locations (Antarctica and Afghanistan for example). I have an AAS in mechanical and electrical technology. I have taken math up to calc I and chemistry II. Plan on taking physics classes and more math... still have 3a years of my enlistment. How does that look and what else do I need to do to be more competitive? Thanks in advance!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Air Force Power Production
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:51 »
Looks like you'd be competitive to me, and you have a good plan for bolstering your resume in the next 3 years. What it will come down to is timing and the size of the applicant pool. Good luck.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline RyanPease

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:08 »
Cool thanks for the heads up! Is there any certification I should try and get or schooling that will give me an edge?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:30 »
If you could manage turning one of your aas into a 4 year degree, that would help. And see if you can find some nuke tech classes.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2012, 10:15 »
Unless you are dead set on operations, consider trying for an I&C position.  We have a former AF power production tech in our shop and he does just fine.  Of course his father also works in the shop, so that may have given him a slight edge.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline RyanPease

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:03 »
Yes, I have definitely considered I&C. What are hours like? Any overtime? How is the pay? I know PVNGS has a position avail for $34 an hour. Would it be advisable to apply for both positions? I think ultimately ops is the direction I would like to go in.... I think. Lol. Thanks for all the helpful tips btw!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: Feb 28, 2012, 01:08 »
Apply for what you want to do. It isn't always easy to cross to other departments, but it is doable.

Offline IRLFAN

• Moderate User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:43 »
As far as hours and overtime, each facility varies.  I have no first hand knowledge of Palo Verde, but I do have friends working there.  Even if you are dead set on operations, it still might be a good idea to explore a maintenance position.  It could be easier to move from one department to the other than to get into the one you want to start with.  And if you do get into maintenance vice operations, you might just come to your senses and stay there.  Good luck and thank you for serving.
Democracy is 4 wolves and 1 sheep
voting on what's for dinner.

Liberty is the sheep with a .357 magnum
telling the wolves where to stick it.

Offline RyanPease

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2012, 11:44 »
Haha! Well I sense a bit of rivalry. I'll tell you what, I will definitely look into both and not be so closed minded about the whole thing. Thanks for the input and your insights!

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:32 »
Haha! Well I sense a bit of rivalry. I'll tell you what, I will definitely look into both and not be so closed minded about the whole thing. Thanks for the input and your insights!

That is the best thing to do.

No rivalry here..., people need to do what they want and be happy. Period.

Justin

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Feb 29, 2012, 12:34 »
still have 3a years of my enlistment. How does that look and what else do I need to do to be more competitive? Thanks in advance!  

It's good that you are looking down the road!  However, a lot changes in three years, (from your other posts - wages, posting/hiring cycles, etc.), based on the needs at the time!  They are generally looking for someone that will be available in 30 to 60 days.

As Justin responded: Turn one of those AS's into a BS and you have several options open.  By then you may have a different viewpoint, i.e., not wanting to work rotating shifts typical to OPS or wanting to persue the Electrical/Mechanical Engineering side of things.

Good luck!

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?