Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Bettis Labs Education as a NR Engineer

Author Topic: Bettis Labs Education as a NR Engineer  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Llewellyon

• Light User
Bettis Labs Education as a NR Engineer
« on: Feb 29, 2012, 01:25 »
I was accepted in January to the NR position in NUPOC. Several of my family members have been asking me, so I thought I would ask, what sorts of things are taught at Bettis Labs as part of the six month post-graduate education given there? I have heard it is more focused on design rather than operation like at regular NPS, but I haven't heard much more than that. Does any of it transfer for degrees at other universities? Are there any specific computer programs that I will learn to use? I don't think any of this would be classified, but if it is just let me know and I'll shut up  :-X.

I've searched the forum and haven't found anything, unless the word "Bettis" is not used in any of the posts explicitly.
« Last Edit: Feb 29, 2012, 01:26 by Llewellyon »

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
Re: Bettis Labs Education as a NR Engineer
« Reply #1 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:13 »
I was accepted in January to the NR position in NUPOC. Several of my family members have been asking me, so I thought I would ask, what sorts of things are taught at Bettis Labs as part of the six month post-graduate education given there? I have heard it is more focused on design rather than operation like at regular NPS, but I haven't heard much more than that. Does any of it transfer for degrees at other universities? Are there any specific computer programs that I will learn to use? I don't think any of this would be classified, but if it is just let me know and I'll shut up  :-X.

I've searched the forum and haven't found anything, unless the word "Bettis" is not used in any of the posts explicitly.

The Bettis Reactor Engineers School (BRES).

If you pass each course with greater then a B, then Penn State has a program that will allow you to transfer credits for a Masters of Science in Nuclear Engineering.

Cheers, GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Feb 29, 2012, 05:48 »
Courses are Math, Statistics, Materials, Structures, Heat Xfer, Thermo/Fluids, Nuclear physics, Reactor Dynamics, and a design course.
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline klj3827

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2012, 09:30 »
There is also an electrical engineering course, though it is relatively new.

Credits additionally transfer to Old Dominion (master's in engineering management) and Naval Post-Graduate School (a variety of different degrees).
« Last Edit: Mar 02, 2012, 09:30 by klj3827 »

Offline Tzel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:49 »
The Bettis Reactor Engineers School (BRES).

If you pass each course with greater then a B, then Penn State has a program that will allow you to transfer credits for a Masters of Science in Nuclear Engineering.

Cheers, GC

I am going for my interview for NR this week.  I have some graduate-level credits from various Engineering departments (ABE, BioE) at Penn State that I took as elective courses (all A's), all 2010 or later.  If accepted, will these be transferable as electives into the MS of Nuclear Engineering program, or will I need to take/re-take some (additional) courses to obtain the MS degree?  I could not find an answer on the Penn State website as to what counts and what does not.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?