Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Still miss it after 20 years - is the competition very fierce in the south east?

Author Topic: Still miss it after 20 years - is the competition very fierce in the south east?  (Read 5162 times)

Offline sportzy1964

• Very Lite User
I've been coming to this site for a little over a week now and first want to say how much I really enjoy reading from everyone posting here.  A truly wide spectrum of personalities and its very obvious how high a level of knowledge everyone in the nuclear field has here.
  I've wanted to ask the community a question pertaining to my current situation relative to a possible attempt to reenter the nuclear field.  I'll try to keep it as short as I can and appreciate your insights and thoughts.
  I entered the Navy in Nov of 1983 and left in July of 1992.  Was an ET and qualified RO/SRO on the Eisenhower and then on the Enterprise;  left as an E6.  I came back home to family in Cincy Ohio and made a go at that over staying in the field.
  I obtained my 3rd class stationary engineer's license here in 1992 in Ohio and have worked in conventional power plants for all but 4 years since being out of the Navy.  I've worked on instrumentation at each of the places I've worked as well as operate.  For the 4 years I didn't operate, I went to work for Siemens in their service department in building automation and controls. I just started with Excelsior to at least complete my 2 year Applied Science degree and have 3 classes left for that.
  I'd like to ask the community here what they think the chances would be to try again after all of this time.  I've had the misfortune of not living close to a nuclear plant so I feel that any facility I'd apply to would think more than once at that issue let alone that fact that I've not worked in the field for so long.  From what I've read so far, it is even a greater challenge than what I had while in the Naval program but I admit the challenge is what I miss the most.  To date, nothing I've done since I've been out has been nearly as rewarding though I do remember the long days of study.
  Has anyone here reentered and had to relocate as well?  Any insights would really help me get a better idea of the challenge I face.  I really enjoy operations and I enjoy the instrumentation too. 

Offline sportzy1964

• Very Lite User
I want to bump my own thread and just ask what the longest time away from the nuclear field anyone you might know was away and successfully came back in.

Fermi2

I know a guy who was away from it for 15 years. Worked as an I+C Tech at a tire factory (they use boilers, he had been an MM) I finally talked him into coming back into the industry as we are good friends. He came back and it was like he never missed a day. If you're good, you're good.

Offline sportzy1964

• Very Lite User
wow, now that's pretty encouraging.  Thank you for your response.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?