Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New RCT
honeypot

Author Topic: New RCT  (Read 11508 times)

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
New RCT
« on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:47 »
Greetings,

I will be graduating in April with an Associates of Applied Science degree in Radiological Protection Technology.  I have experience with lab counting, instrument calibration, routine and special surveys, etc.  By the time I graduate, I will have my 40-hour HAZWOPER and DOE RCT Core certifications. 

I would like some input from you all about how I can begin my job search.  I do not mind travel, and I would not mind a temporary/outage job.  I am leaning more towards a career with the DOE, but of course am more than willing to take a job with a nuclear generating station.  Most job listings that I find require 3+ years experience, as well as a myriad of other certifications.  Where can someone like me begin his or her illustrious career in the nuclear industry?

Respectfully,

Jason Conner

seahawk

Re: New RCT
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14, 2012, 06:32 »
i would go back to school and get a different degree! lol 25 yrs Exp. in da bussiness.. good luck my friend

Offline let-it-ride

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14, 2012, 08:03 »
   I too have 25 years in Da Bidness. I would do it all again.
   Call Bartlett 1-800-225-0385. Ask to talk to Eric. The other recruiters are
   good, but Eric can start the ball rolling. Tell them you will go where ever
    they need you.  Once you get in,there will be lots of people that will help
    you. That has been my experience.
    Good luck.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Feb 14, 2012, 09:39 »
I will be graduating in April with an Associates of Applied Science degree in Radiological Protection Technology.  I have experience with lab counting, instrument calibration, routine and special surveys, etc.  By the time I graduate, I will have my 40-hour HAZWOPER and DOE RCT Core certifications. 

A little shy on information: graduating from which school and where is home!  Talk to the folks at the school they normally will have leads that can get you employment fast!  Also apply to any utility and/or DOE site close to where your home base is located, always nice to have friend/family support when starting a new job.  And certainly get your resume to Bartlett and Atlantic and others that post on this site for techs. 
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 14, 2012, 10:24 »
I agree with OldHP (not a rare occurrence, being one myself) and between us we have far more than 25 years in 'Da Bidness' (like over 75 years total.)

It is an interesting way to make money, particularly if you are young, single, and free to move about the Country (or even a few others.) Look at all the options, try a few of them and figure out which ones (or maybe none) of them you like. Make your decisions after that.

Just please don't bitch about everything just because no one is spoon feeding you or if some decisions made by other people don't go your way. Being flexible is the key to enjoying the industry. That and keeping your eyes open. Recognizing opportunity when it presents itself to you is an invaluable skill and very much worth developing.

Good luck.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Content1

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2012, 11:25 »
Greetings,

I would like some input from you all about how I can begin my job search.  I do not mind travel, and I would not mind a temporary/outage job.  I am leaning more towards a career with the DOE, but of course am more than willing to take a job with a nuclear generating station.  Most job listings that I find require 3+ years experience, as well as a myriad of other certifications.  Where can someone like me begin his or her illustrious career in the nuclear industry?

Respectfully,

Jason Conner

You don't mention your age, but I will point out why it is better to get a house job then be on the road.  If you have a family, and especially small children, do wish to be at an outage when you child is learning to walk and talk and maybe can tell them over Skype, "Hi, this is your Daddy."  I have come back to the road and no matter if you have 6 months a year off when the outage season ends, you still have the half-a-year hole in your relationship and being home for 6 months does not make up for it.   Time lost with the family is still lost.  There is a high divorce rate for traveling techs.  If you are having trouble getting house jobs that is only because the economy is so bad.  It would be ideal if you could get a house job with places that are building new units to grow with them.  DOE sites for stability would be your next choice.  Think about operations, like a Nuclear Plant equipment operator.  That is a decent career path too.  As I write this I am working night shift for a little over a week more then travel to my next outage.  I will have been gone from my family for over 3 months.  The pay is Ok, but is this the kind of life you want?

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:20 »
A little shy on information: graduating from which school and where is home! 

Fountainhead College of Technology is the school, and I am in East Tennessee. 

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2012, 08:31 »
You don't mention your age, but I will point out why it is better to get a house job then be on the road.  If you have a family, and especially small children, do wish to be at an outage when you child is learning to walk and talk and maybe can tell them over Skype, "Hi, this is your Daddy."  I have come back to the road and no matter if you have 6 months a year off when the outage season ends, you still have the half-a-year hole in your relationship and being home for 6 months does not make up for it.   Time lost with the family is still lost.  There is a high divorce rate for traveling techs.  If you are having trouble getting house jobs that is only because the economy is so bad.  It would be ideal if you could get a house job with places that are building new units to grow with them.  DOE sites for stability would be your next choice.  Think about operations, like a Nuclear Plant equipment operator.  That is a decent career path too.  As I write this I am working night shift for a little over a week more then travel to my next outage.  I will have been gone from my family for over 3 months.  The pay is Ok, but is this the kind of life you want?

I am 31, and no family.  If I had a choice between a local house job and an OTR job, of course I would pick the former; but I figure since i'm just starting out, I will take whatever I can get.  :-)

X-radcon30

« Reply #8 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:19 »
If your in Tennessee, Try SEC here in Oak Ridge. They are trying to staff up for some upcoming jobs. Good place to get your foot in the door..

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:38 »
Bartlett is also staffing in the in the Oak Ridge area I believe they are having a Job Fair today (3 to 8 PM Feb 16th) at the Chamber of Commerce.
« Last Edit: Feb 16, 2012, 09:40 by Marlin »

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #10 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:43 »
I'm in agreement with OldHP, RDTroja, X-radcon30, and Marlin.  Not mentioning how far over three digits we are, but we are! 
The first thing I would recommend is to analyze whether you want to work away from home.  If you are of single status and want to see the countryside in the U.S. of A., then being a RadCon Rental is a very good way to do so.  It is not always considered a good way to launch a corporate career.  Many times, it is best to go "house" and do the coporate spit and shine routine.  If you want a corporate career, you are in a great area of the country to do so.
The second thing I would recommend is to analyze your answer to the above and make sure it is what you want to do. 
The third thing I would recommend is to open a favorite beverage and contemplate your answers to the above.
Then do it.  :)
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
« Reply #11 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 »
Greetings,

Thank you all for your replies and insight.  I am for sure going to Bartlett's open house after school.  I spoke to a very nice lady and she invited me.

Respectfully,

Jason Conner

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Feb 16, 2012, 05:39 »
I'm in agreement with OldHP, RDTroja, X-radcon30, and Marlin.  Not mentioning how far over three digits we are, but we are! 

Darn Pete you're making me feel old!  Troja was being nice when he said 75 between us!  Have to get back to research, I told the young-un I'd get back to him. 

Kudos to Marlin, I forgot the Big Blue had an open house tonight!

[beer]
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:43 »
Thank you all for your replies and insight.  I am for sure going to Bartlett's open house after school.  I spoke to a very nice lady and she invited me. 

Jason:
I hope you had a successful visit at the Bartlett/Babcock Open House.  Sorry I didn't mention it earlier or make it, but I had other commitments today and kind of forgot about it.  I was going to PM this since I said I'd get back to you, then I thought, you may have classmates with the same questions.

I checked out Fountainhead and I'll recommend:

Talk to your instructors - I know three of them personally - they are good sources of information and leads;
Talk to the Department Head, I don't know him; but, - EnergX sponsors the program at Fountainhead, he is on the EnergX staff, - could be the break you are looking for!
Get involved with the East TN Chapter HPS!
As I said earlier visit every company in OR!
Beat feet for Watts Bar!

Offline JasonConner

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2012, 01:40 »
Greetings,

Thank you kindly for your advice.  I am aware of the EnergX connections, and I always pull what information I can from my instructors, just as I am trying to find leads from you all.  One can never have enough information.  I am a member of ETCHPS, and I helped to found Fountainhead's own radiation protection society, which I currently preside over.  EnergX seems to be in the same boat as so many other companies right now when it comes to available job openings.  However, I shall remain positive and ever diligent in my search.  I have learned a great deal since beginning my journey, and I know that it will eventually pay off.  I have given my resume to Denuke, Spectra Tech, Bartlett and Babcock.  I have also sent my resume to Quality Nuclear Services for the upcoming Wolf Creek outage.  Whom do I send my resume to for Watts Bar?  I understand #2 is about ready to open.

Regarding the open house, it was a fabulous opportunity to meet some of the people from both Bartlett and Babcock, and to get my name out there.  If nothing else, they have seen my face and are aware that I am looking for opportunities.

Which of my instructors do you know?  I have not met the ones who lead the night class, but the ones who instruct the day class are fantastic.

Thanks again for your time and consideration, and I look forward to hearing from you again.

Respectfully,

Jason Conner
« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2012, 02:02 by JasonConner »

Offline Schiner

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Feb 17, 2012, 04:20 »
Jason
If you are graduating in a couple months, you should be beating the pavement now.  Here are some tips that I tell students:

-Send a thousand resumes and make ten thousand calls. Start in the advertisers list right here on nukeworker.
-Search all the forums - here, the other site, monster, even the local job center since you live in a DOE city.   I'm a CFCC grad and found my first job from the radsafe listserv.
-Network with the other students that graduate before you.  They will have an idea of what's out there.
-DON'T TURN ANYTHING DOWN.  Even if you have to be a lowly safety/IH tech (joke).  Getting in the door is the hardest part.  Take advantage of the paycheck until you can find your next job.

When you find a job, do these things:
-Show up to work on time - everyday.
-Have an good attitude and be eager to learn.
-Identify the slugs and bad attitudes and don't be like them.  Try to cipher out the good things they do and learn from both.
-Network with co-workers.  Alot of them have been around for along time and know where to find the jobs.  If they like you, they might even help bring you along to their next job.  At worst they might recommend you for a job later.

Good luck.  I don't think you'll regret the path you've chosen.

DN

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?