NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu dose  

Author Topic: dose  (Read 6047 times)

duke99301

dose
« on: Mar 06, 2012, 11:03 »
ok tell me about this
Lung Deposition
                                   Inhalation           Abssorpotion            wound
Pu-alpha (as PU-239)      5.5 Nci
PU -241                          45  nCi
Am -241                          0.29
systemic uptake
Pu - 239                         1.95 nCi              0.85 nCi                      0.85nCi
Pu-241                           15.5 nCi                6.7 nci                       23 NCi
Am-241                           0.10 Nci
50-y CDE based on ICRP
effictive                           54 Rem              3.4 Rem                        4.7Rem
lung                                420 Rem             0                                    0
bone surface                       69 rem             69 rem                             94 rem
liver                                  7.7 rem               7.4 rem                       9.7 rem
red bone marrow                5.5 rem                5.5 rem                      7.5  rem
Gonads                               0.85 rem               .094  rem                 1.3 rem
subject recived this intake in 1964 as a nuclear chemical operator with DOE  in 1987 subect retired for the last 9 years his deep dose was 120 each mth. worker was assigned office duty and was not working in a rad zone.
what can be the long term health effects to the worker he still has the transit in his lungs and a slive of PU in his thumb. subject in 85 years old left hanford when he was 58. starting to show signs of parkinson and has asthma problems since he retired.  what will this do to a workers lungs plus working in the tank farms in the 70's

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Re: dose
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:15 »
what will this do to a workers lungs
It would appear that an elevated chance of lung cancer may occur, based on the 50 year CEDE of 420Rem.
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2012, 08:17 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2012, 10:07 »
In most parts of the world living a relatively healthy life until you're 85 would be a heck of an accomplishment. Looks like he has skirted effects for almost fifty years. Whatever elevated probability he might have had would now be overshadowed by common age related facators.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:19 »
In most parts of the world living a relatively healthy life until you're 85 would be a heck of an accomplishment. Looks like he has skirted effects for almost fifty years. Whatever elevated probability he might have had would now be overshadowed by common age related facators.

Poster child for hormeisis? ;)

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2012, 01:40 »
It would appear that an elevated chance of lung cancer may occur, based on the 50 year CEDE of 420Rem.

The 420 appears to be CDE not CEDE!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2012, 04:01 »
The 420 appears to be CDE not CEDE!
My apology, and thanks to the great seer of HP.  I accidentally mistyped (very bad move, I know) the extra E this AM.  Can't believe I did that.  But, I was thinking that the dose to the lung would be from the Pu and not the AM.  My understanding is that Am gets taken up by bone more than Pu, and the biological half life is quite short compared to Pu, so that the CDE of 420 Rem must be from the Pu.  Since this is a significant increase in dose over the "threshold" for estimating the risk of cancer increasing from Pu I felt that there would be an elevated chance of occurence. 
Again, my bad and a most sincere apology for switching up the CDE and CEDE acronyms.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

duke99301

« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2012, 12:11 »
the worker  was still working in mixed field for over ten years  after this incident . my question who belives he was over expsoed?
And the wound is from a broken  item of pure PU in his thumb they could not  recover. the item is still emebed in his thumb
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2012, 12:14 by duke99301 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?