Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke News IS back!  

Author Topic: Nuke News IS back!  (Read 16847 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Nuke News IS back!
« on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:08 »
I have some potentially great news.  I think after years and years of our news section being broken, I may have figured out what happened.

For a long time, the news feed has returned a generic news feed instead of what I was asking it to send us.  I assumed Google was mad at me.  It turns out that I had increased the sites security and turned off 'global variables' which killed my script.... because, you know... I suck at programming.  The program for the news feed is very complex.  I have tried time and again to fix it, and never succeeded. Until now.

« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2012, 06:06 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Broken Nuke News may be back!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2012, 07:46 »
Ok, I've done a little testing, and it seems that its ready to go live.

The news page is officially live again.  Holy Smokes!
« Last Edit: Mar 07, 2012, 07:48 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Broken Nuke News may be back!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2012, 08:28 »
The front page news feed is now live.

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
Re: Broken Nuke News IS back!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2012, 11:24 »
Great to see it back.  It was missed!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2012, 08:49 »
hear i thought yinz were just disgruntled with me. ::)  even took spelling classes and every thing. ;) glad two sea it back up, it's one of the great deals on this site! [salute] [coffee]
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2012, 08:51 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:12 »
I also noticed that the GSA site has changed their per Diem stuff, which broke our per Diem links in our facility info section.  I've been working all morning on it, and I've found a solution.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:37 »
The per Diem link fix is now live.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:43 »
I have to say... I've never been really happy with the facility info section.  It's butt ugly.  If anyone has some suggestions, please share them.  I seem to be on a roll, so this is the time.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2012, 03:45 »
Ok, I'm fiddling with the facility info section, so if it acts wonky in the next few hours, don't freak out.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2012, 05:35 »
well, I got the facility pictures to show back up in the facility info section.  Its progress.
What happened (not that you care) is that I change the banners from a java-script include to a php include... and for some weird reason that made the pictures on the facility info pages disappear.  Weird, huh?  Well... that's how it goes.  This stuff that seems totally unrelated breaks each other.

I see the news disappeared again.  I remember that used to happen some times.  I'll have to see if there is anything I can do about that.
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2012, 05:51 by Rennhack »

drayer54

Re: Nuke News IS back!
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2012, 12:12 »
Nuke News would be cooler if it wasn't filled with bunny hugger articles about how dangerous and threatening these soon-to-explode plants are.

However, it has been a solid upgrade to my daily nukeworker experience!

Thanks!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2012, 12:42 »
Nuke News would be cooler if it wasn't filled with bunny hugger articles about how dangerous and threatening these soon-to-explode plants are.

However, it has been a solid upgrade to my daily nukeworker experience!

Thanks!

Tell me which news sources to exclude, and I CAN exclude them.  Thank you.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:09 »
Tell me which news sources to exclude, and I CAN exclude them.  Thank you.

I am of the opposite opinion. It is always good to see all sides of an issue, it helps understand the argument of someone who only reads the bunny hugger articles.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012, 05:38 by Marlin »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2012, 01:34 »
   I am of the opposite opinion. It is always good to see all sides of an issue, it helps understand the argument of someone who only reads the bunny huger articles.

I agree with you both.  I like to see what others see.  Hear what others hear.  Know what others know.

However, some anti nuke articles/ websites are just worthless.  I do not wish to get rid of all of them, just the worst offenders/most annoying sites.  Another thing to consider, our link in to them raises their "reputation" on the web.

Currently, of the thousands of news sources, we filter out:

author:ENS|author:Environment News Service|author:Common Dreams
and author:AlterNet

Also, I can add acronyms like change Nuclear Regulatory Commission to NRC or Nuclear Power Plant to NPP in the titles, so if you see a commonly used phrase in the titles that should be shortened, let me know.  Our software is very powerful, it can do almost anything.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2012, 01:37 by Rennhack »

drayer54

« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2012, 08:49 »
I agree with Marlin that it is right to read some articles of varying opinions, but the amount of nuclear "experts" who are writting on behalf of some anti-nuclear agenda with fear mongering is abundant in the nuclear related news. I also love how every nuclear article must mention Fukushima.

I scoured the site news after Mike's post and couldn't find a single source (like wsj.com or local news) that I would suggest removing. Many of the annoying articles are probably unavoidable anyways and I can only imagine the time spent picking individual authors. The  ongoing VY struggle, Palisades issue, and anti-nuclear sentiment in NY seem to dominate the news these days when big developments are happening in the world of SMR's and Vogtle/Summer.

I was mainly sharing frustration with my appreciation for this portion of the site.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2012, 09:51 »
Unfortunately, most reporters have a tendency to throw in the anti-side, even when writing what should be a positive article.  As much as I'd rather not read the 'junk', it does pay to know what the anti's are hanging their hat on.  This has been true for man-nnn-y years.  If you don't read what their reading, you really can't present the real truth.

If I were voting I'd say leave it there, with the exception of the sources that Mike mentioned, those that gain credibility by being linked here.  Knowing what your next door neighbor or your debate opponent is using as a source is always helpful.

JMO
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Mar 24, 2012, 10:45 »
The term "Author" here is the website not the person, so just report to me any websites that as a source are just totally worthless, if you come across one.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2012, 08:10 »
I am of the opinion that it's probably more of a hassle to clear out the possibly offending stories than it is to delete ones that come through which are totally anti-nuke without scientific merit.  I'm guessing that the news source being used trolls the news feeds for keyword and sends those articles to Nukeworker.com.  So, if "Bunny huggers hate nuclear power" and nuclear power is a search term, then the article appears here.  While if the author is Nuclear News, it may well advocate hooking up with the local NRA chapter and funding a bunny hunt.   ;)  If it's Granpa Earth News, then it may be about how although bunny huggers hate nuclear power, the bunnys don't care.  Both stories have pluses and minuses, neither authors should be deleted from search.
Just MHO. 

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?