Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Food Irradiation

Author Topic: Food Irradiation  (Read 7099 times)

TxnHawk

Food Irradiation
« on: Mar 10, 2002, 09:14 »
???  Does anyone out there know of any Food Irradiation work sites and / or a web site that is displaying info concerning this field  ???  Any input would be greatly appreciated ...

TxnHawk

Re: Food Irradiation
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2002, 04:23 »
I have seen that alot of you have read this post, but noone has provided a direction for additional info concerning this subject ... I really need this info ... Thanks

RT@OPG

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2002, 05:06 »
My first response was to tell you to calm down and learn to use your search engine.  

But since I'm such a nice guy try typing in ISOMEDIX, they have the largest facility in Canada located in Whitby, Ontario.  They have about 15 - 20 plants in the US and run electron beam, gamma and chemical sterlization units for stuff that can't take radiation.

DainJer

« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2002, 09:08 »
on a whim...check out Dairy Queen websites...they have a "no bacteria" guarantee on there meat products through food irradiation...i helped build a few...maybe they have something on the site about it.

mykeyw1

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2002, 04:25 »
Food irradiation is nothing more than using radiation to kill all the bacteria in food of any kind.  It has been available for many years but due to the public's reaction to the word "radiation" has not been used extensively.  It is safe as long as the packages of irradiated food are not broken open and exposed to the air.  Meat, for example, can be irradiated, sealed and does not need to be frozen as any frozen food requirements.
I hope that helped. :)

Marvin

« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2002, 05:11 »
I have heard that there are two primary reasons that food irradiation has not become more popular with big business:

1.) There are scientific studies indicating that food irradiation causes chemical changes in some foods, thereby reducing the nutritional value.

2.) Food industry workers took a "what the heck, we don't have to keep everything clean now that the radiation kills the germs approach" in the early food irradiation years.

I'm sure there's lots of related articles on the net as a previous post indicated.    I am no food irradiation expert.

Marvin :)

Atomtime

« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2002, 11:30 »
Check out this link. It should help get you started:

http://www.foodtechservice.com/aboutus.asp

I did a report on this subject years ago in college. I'll try to dig it up and post any references.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?