Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Leads for Summer Work

Author Topic: Leads for Summer Work  (Read 5904 times)

nsz8

Leads for Summer Work
« on: Mar 11, 2012, 02:15 »
As a Jr Tech it can be a daunting task to find enough work to transition from Junior to Senior in a timely manner. I have been at it since September 2008 and have only amassed around 2800 hours. 4 months of which were at a dirt job.

Anyone have any solid leads on some summer work? Dry cask, dirt sorting, etc.  ;D

With work lined up through the end of May in outages, adding some summer work for the "hot months" might help me head into the Fall of 2012 as an 18.1 technician.

And we all know the shortage of qualified Senior techs can hurt everyone come outage season!

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User
Re: Leads for Summer Work
« Reply #1 on: Mar 11, 2012, 03:32 »
As a Jr Tech it can be a daunting task to find enough work to transition from Junior to Senior in a timely manner. I have been at it since September 2008 and have only amassed around 2800 hours. 4 months of which were at a dirt job.

Anyone have any solid leads on some summer work? Dry cask, dirt sorting, etc.  ;D

With work lined up through the end of May in outages, adding some summer work for the "hot months" might help me head into the Fall of 2012 as an 18.1 technician.

And we all know the shortage of qualified Senior techs can hurt everyone come outage season!

Maybe it is not too late for you to get on the Grand Gulf outage.  DZ hired a boat load of Juniors who are now racking up the hours towards being labeled a Senior.

ArthurRyan

« Reply #2 on: Mar 11, 2012, 04:33 »
 [Flamer]

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Mar 11, 2012, 08:13 »

When I was a Jr, trying to get my time to be a Sr, I called Bartlett every week, and told them that I need the time.  That no job was too low, either work or pay wise.  Eric rewarded me with 7 jobs in 7 states that year.  Granted, I didn't get paid squat, but I got experience and hours logged on the resume.  I was a HP with a shovel at some jobs. (Wait, that was ICESOLV with the shovel).  Some of the jobs I took should have paid $12/hr and I got $8 (back in the day) -- But I got all the work I wanted.  Look at me now, I have enough time to be a 3.1.  ;)

My advice is to FIRST call Bartlett, and talk with each recruiter.  Tell them your 'deal', that you want the hours and experience, and that you will turn no offer down.  That you just have to stay working, no matter what.  They WILL keep you working.

Step 2, Call every other company that has ever hired an HP, and call them every week.  Ask them whats new, whats commign up, tell them that you will take anything that will count towards Sr. time.

Step 3, call all your HP friends, and ask them what they have heard.  Post on NukeWorker.  Ask them:
Anyone have any solid leads on some summer work? With work lined up through the end of May in outages, adding some summer work for the "hot months" might help me head into the Fall of 2012 as an 18.1 technician.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2012, 09:53 »

...everyone...except for the techs that go "cha-ching" because some plants had to up the pay to staff!  ;)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

nsz8

« Reply #5 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:13 »
Thanks Rennhack! I've been trying that in a slightly less aggressive form for a while. Had a couple of longer jobs just miss for me the past couple of seasons, due to making other commitments and sticking to them. At least right now I am hitting a back-to-back with Fermi & Davis Besse and they are both basically in my backyard.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 12, 2012, 09:51 »
Thanks Rennhack! I've been trying that in a slightly less aggressive form for a while. Had a couple of longer jobs just miss for me the past couple of seasons, due to making other commitments and sticking to them

Go the more aggressive route, it keeps you in their mind.

Keep on keeping the commitments, people at the plants and the staffing company remember that.  Again it keeps you in their mind!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 13, 2012, 01:39 »
Fermi & Davis Besse and they are both basically in my backyard.

What part of Michigan you from?  The east side I assume.

nsz8

« Reply #8 on: Mar 13, 2012, 05:19 »
I live in Monroe County. I am about 15 miles Northwest of Fermi.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?