Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Knee Problems...is this going to affect me?

Author Topic: Knee Problems...is this going to affect me?  (Read 8953 times)

Offline c3neely

• Very Lite User
Knee Problems...is this going to affect me?
« on: Mar 12, 2012, 07:49 »
So a year ago I broke my leg doing brazilian jiujitsu...long story, left with a metal plate and 6 screws in my right knee...tibial plateau fracture.  It takes forever to feel better, and im still putting in work on it, and honestly, its never going to "be the same" as it used to be...its always going to give me problems, and when im in my 40/s 50's ill "probably need it replaced" (im 27 now).

So this is my deal:  my orthopedic says "you'll need a desk job"...but i hate desk jobs.  I currently work in education and I want to get out, and ironically a lady I work with's husband hires Equipment Operators at the Peach Bottom Plant in PA - Exelon.  A friend of mine works there, and I asked him "how much physical labor" do you do? and he said that while hes not doing a lot of heavy lifting, he is on his feet all day.  I can get around fine, im just nervous long term

So thats my question...am I setting myself up for a problem getting into the field with my knee...when im older, and am I not going to be able to do the work? I cant for the life of me figure out if Im overthinking this, or not thinking about it enough.  Im currently taking accounting courses...and while I dont hate it, i really dont want to spend all this money and time if I can get into this field and be ok in it

Any opinions?  What do you guys think? Thanks

Fermi2

Re: Knee Problems...is this going to affect me?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2012, 08:19 »
I have bad knees and trust me my time as an NLO did not help them one bit.

drayer54

« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2012, 10:37 »
My knees are fine and after going up and down both cooling towers, down to the corner rooms, and walking the transformers..... Well, it's a lot. 12 hours of it too, sometimes you got to be flexible too. Id look at desk jobs if it's that much of an issue.

Edit: I think Justin said PB is an 8 hour shift plant, either way....lots of walking.
« Last Edit: Mar 12, 2012, 10:40 by Drayer »

Offline c3neely

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 12, 2012, 11:30 »
i was afraid of this, haha.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I finally get an opportunity for a real career...which would be perfect for me...and I have this stupid ass knee problem.   My god.  I still have some time to rehab it..i guess theyd be hiring in November.  But honestly, I mean, I cant even be on my feet right now for more then a few hours...let alone 12.  here we come accounting

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:04 »
PB is 12s, BV is 8s.
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #5 on: Mar 13, 2012, 12:23 »

I currently work in education and I want to get out, Any opinions?  What do you guys think? Thanks 

i was afraid of this, haha.  ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.  I finally get an opportunity for a real career...which would be perfect for me...and I have this stupid ass knee problem.   My god.  I still have some time to rehab it..i guess theyd be hiring in November.  But honestly, I mean, I cant even be on my feet right now for more then a few hours...let alone 12.  here we come accounting 

I sincerely hope you're not teaching English or any subject/class that 'our' children/grandchildren might be in! ::)

To answer your question:  You should probably not consider a power plant future on the floor!  Your friend's husband may be able to put you on to something else where you wouldn't have to be on your feet most of the time.  There are other opportunities that are not 'desk jobs', but do not require the 'on the feet/legs' time of an NLO.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

IPREGEN

« Reply #6 on: Mar 13, 2012, 07:33 »
A few years ago I broke my ankle in 3 places, 1 rod and 12 screws put me together again. Walking around the station was tough. Physical therapy was torture. But to heal best you need the blood flow going and to work the joint. It will be tough and you will find your own limits, but it can be done. 
By the way the metal in my leg only sets off the hand held wand they use at airport and station access, not the walk through metal detectors.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?