Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Computer Won't Boot Up honeypot

Author Topic: Computer Won't Boot Up  (Read 4080 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Computer Won't Boot Up
« on: Mar 16, 2012, 03:52 »
I inherited a computer lab with some semi-ancient desktops that have had a hard life.  I got a few of them running, but issues on the others...

First issue, computer that starts to boot up...gets to Windows XP screen...then drops out and starts over...ad infinitum...

Ideas?
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Computer Won't Boot Up
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2012, 04:40 »
Google "windows safe mode", that should get you started down the right path.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2012, 05:19 »
Google "windows safe mode", that should get you started down the right path.

Thanks!  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2012, 07:38 »
Make sure there is no disc in the drive!  That one got me a few times...More recently a flash drive in my usb port caused this as well.  Not usually this simple but sometimes you get lucky...

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2012, 08:29 »
Check for an "Enter" key stuck in the depressed position,...

I'm not kidding,...

Old Laptops,...soda spills,....rtl sticky keys,...last user just gives up on it,...

been there, done that,....stuck "Enter" key,...whodathunkit?  8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 17, 2012, 05:17 »
Okay, I haven't had time to try everything suggested, because I'm having to swap CRTs around to have enough computers working when the kids are here.

But, let me tell you where I'm at and see if it rings any bells...

I can get to the 'safe mode' choice by F8, but...computer keeps looping on all choices except 'debugging mode'.

If I use 'debugging mode', computer seems to boot normally.  Once I am logged in, things seem to work fine.  I attempted to 'restore' computer to a couple of different restore points, but both times it freezes about 1/3 of the way through the restore process.

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.  I do have two similar computers that seem to work fine, so thinking next I'll try method #1 from the techrepublic.com article.  Does it really have to be on a floppy (the computer doesn't even have a floppy drive...it does have a CD drive), or will it work the same off a USB thumb drive?

Thanks again for all the help.  :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Mar 17, 2012, 11:38 »
A brand new computer is $400 at dell's outlet.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2012, 02:38 »
I've used a thumb and an external to fix friends computers

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2012, 08:30 »
A brand new computer is $400 at dell's outlet.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

Yeah, I've been thinking about going that route, but there are rules against me just randomly buying things for the school.  Probably have to write a grant proposal to get it done...which puts us several weeks from having the new computers...  Seemed worth playing with what I've got on hand...even if I can't fix them, I might learn something...  :) 

I've used a thumb and an external to fix friends computers

Cool.  I'll give it a try as soon as the students bring my thumb drive back.  They said (...at least, I thought that's what they said...we were speaking Khmenglish...) that they were walking over to the copy shop to get some things printed.  That was two days ago...   :D

THANKS, GUYS!  :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2012, 10:53 »
Did you try booting into safe mode, then reinstalling the Operating System from scratch, or just booting to the operating system CD?

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2012, 12:13 »
Did you try booting into safe mode, then reinstalling the Operating System from scratch, or just booting to the operating system CD?

It won't boot in safe mode, only debugging mode...

...and I looked everywhere to see if I could find a copy of the operating system, but no dice.  The computer shop that originally provided the computers did all the software installations, so doubt the school ever had a copy.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Mar 18, 2012, 02:15 »
I suppose you could use an 'alternative' download site to get a fresh copy.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Aug 02, 2012, 04:12 »
So...I played with the ideas you gave me and finally came to the realization that I should let the pros take over.  All the computers are cleaned up and running great...for only $10 per machine!  Sometimes it's really nice to be in an inexpensive country!

Thanks again for the help!  :)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?