Reference, Questions and Help > Computer Help

Computer Won't Boot Up

<< < (2/3) > >>

GLW:
Check for an "Enter" key stuck in the depressed position,...

I'm not kidding,...

Old Laptops,...soda spills,....rtl sticky keys,...last user just gives up on it,...

been there, done that,....stuck "Enter" key,...whodathunkit?  8)

UncaBuffalo:
Okay, I haven't had time to try everything suggested, because I'm having to swap CRTs around to have enough computers working when the kids are here.

But, let me tell you where I'm at and see if it rings any bells...

I can get to the 'safe mode' choice by F8, but...computer keeps looping on all choices except 'debugging mode'.

If I use 'debugging mode', computer seems to boot normally.  Once I am logged in, things seem to work fine.  I attempted to 'restore' computer to a couple of different restore points, but both times it freezes about 1/3 of the way through the restore process.

Anyway, that's where I'm at right now.  I do have two similar computers that seem to work fine, so thinking next I'll try method #1 from the techrepublic.com article.  Does it really have to be on a floppy (the computer doesn't even have a floppy drive...it does have a CD drive), or will it work the same off a USB thumb drive?

Thanks again for all the help.  :)

Rennhack:
A brand new computer is $400 at dell's outlet.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

hamsamich:
I've used a thumb and an external to fix friends computers

UncaBuffalo:

--- Quote from: Rennhack on Mar 17, 2012, 11:38 ---A brand new computer is $400 at dell's outlet.

http://www.dell.com/outlet

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I've been thinking about going that route, but there are rules against me just randomly buying things for the school.  Probably have to write a grant proposal to get it done...which puts us several weeks from having the new computers...  Seemed worth playing with what I've got on hand...even if I can't fix them, I might learn something...  :) 

--- Quote from: hamsamich on Mar 17, 2012, 02:38 ---I've used a thumb and an external to fix friends computers

--- End quote ---

Cool.  I'll give it a try as soon as the students bring my thumb drive back.  They said (...at least, I thought that's what they said...we were speaking Khmenglish...) that they were walking over to the copy shop to get some things printed.  That was two days ago...   :D

THANKS, GUYS!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version