Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting "official" termination documentation. I was given ONLY "verbal" reasons
honeypot

Author Topic: Getting "official" termination documentation. I was given ONLY "verbal" reasons  (Read 33571 times)

blackballedsnake

Hey everyone, what's shakin'? So, who's "behind" do I have to "light on fire" to get an official copy of why I was "generally" terminated at D-B during in-processing this past fall? I was told (verbally ONLY) by D-B security (a Mr. J.V.) that it was NOT a "denial of access" situation. He said it's "a stop-the-proccess" situation. I want to call some various company higher-ups to get more specific advice, but I can't simply tell these people what was verbally discussed...it's only hearsay...plus how do I know if I'm being 100% accurate without the "written" word? (I smell another "potential" trap on the horizon) I welcome ANY and ALL advice at this point. You may email me privately if you so desire. Thanks much.  - Mike "Snake" Shaffer.     btw: Yo Graphic, any help you could provide to me about this would be greatly appreciated!

blackballedsnake

I see this thread is a virtual "hot potato"...no one's willing to put their "money where their mouth is"...I actually expected this result. Well, I suppose it's off to D.C. to "rattle a cage or two" I have nothing to lose...it's already gone. Wish me luck.  - Snake.

Fermi2

blackballedsnake

Hey Broadzilla, my POINT exactly. You couldn't have summed it up better. - Snake.  ;)

IPREGEN

Call the company that had hired you, Bartlett, Atlantic or whatever and ask them if you are employable. You're reason for termination would have been communicated to them.

blackballedsnake

Thanks much IPREGEN, I have been emailed some upper management contacts at the company which was involved in this disappointing "mess". I had some of my recent posts removed yesterday...I was only describing the timeline of events as they occurred. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, or point fingers (in a negative way) but it's apparent now...I had done so.  :(  Anyway, to those individuals whom were "offended" by my posts on 3/20...I sincerely apologize.  :-[  You have to put yourself in my shoes to really get a grasp on how this situation makes me feel.  :'(  All I seek is the written documentation...and some accurate guidance on what to do next. Nuke power (et al) is all about precise detail(s) and 110% accuracy. I'm simply trying to live up to that high standard. Period.  - Snake.  :)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
I had some of my recent posts removed yesterday...I was only describing the timeline of events as they occurred. I wasn't trying to offend anyone, or point fingers (in a negative way) but it's apparent now...I had done so.  :(  Anyway, to those individuals whom were "offended" by my posts on 3/20...I sincerely apologize.  :-[  You have to put yourself in my shoes to really get a grasp on how this situation makes me feel.  :'(

I deleted them for being off topic.  You posted your story on some one else's question/post, and it had nothing to do with his question, and there was no answer for HIM in your post.  That's great, but that was not the appropriate place to post it, you already had posted your story HERE.  THIS the the proper place.  Re-posting your issue on everyone else's post isn't the answer.

This however is YOUR thread, pretty much anything you post here is on topic.  If john Doe starts to litter YOUR post with his issues, I'll delete his posts so that this post can stay on topic.  Which is YOUR issue.

Summary: I deleted your posts because they were in the wrong place.
« Last Edit: Mar 21, 2012, 10:57 by Rennhack »

blackballedsnake

Rennhack, I  understand your rationale for the deletion. The topic(s) in question were dealing with derogatory background info., and the disparaties (in policy) that exist NOW between nuke plants. I believe that going to these "corporate management companies" instead of public utilities, has unleashed a "harbinger of doom" on individuals with negative past, or present "infractions" attached to them. (i.e. FFD, criminal history, FICO, etc.) I have been in private communication with multiple techs about this very issue. I'm hearing the stories of how a past DUI or FFD, which was dealt with back then, has come back to haunt and hurt!! Summary: The proliferation of corporate P.C. policy (in nuke power) has now excluded "old guard" techs, etc. from gainful employment. (or at best...made it sporadic on who will be granted UA) To add insult to injury, the "corporate utilities" of today won't even TRY to assist a person in getting the "issue" resolved. (especially a contractor) They just spout off their rhetoric about how "it's our policy at OUR plant...you can work elsewhere?!" Yeah...right. (sarcasm) How exactly? If your denied...your denied. Period. The writing is on the wall people. The commercial industry (apparently) wants only workers with "virginal-puritanical" lifestyles and backgrounds!! (Food for thought: "Grandfathering") Hey, seems kinda "plain vanilla" to me. Hell...what do I know? I'm just a f*ck-up...according to the "new-and-improved" nuclear power industry.  ::) So sad...but SO true. Keep it real and watch yer backs.  - Snake.  ;)   

Offline Safety Matt

• Moderate User

Summary: I deleted your posts because they were in the wrong place.

Why then, are other posts deemed to be in the wrong place simply relocated and the relocation is announced publically? Deletion of a post without an explanation leads the author of the post to come to his/her own conclusion as to why the post was deleted; conclusions that may be inaccurate and create hard feelings unnecessarily.
« Last Edit: Mar 22, 2012, 04:14 by Safety Matt »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Why then, are other posts deemed to be in the wrong place simply relocated and the relocation is announced publically? Deletion of a post without an explanation leads the author of the post to come to his/her own conclusion as to why the post was deleted; conclusions that may be inaccurate and create hard feelings unnecessarily.

He isn't being singled out. Many of us have had off-topic posts removed (and rightly so.) Posts that are relocated are usually of some use on their own and just belong somewhere else to live on as another topic. Some comments just are there for no reason other than a bit of (often misplaced) humor or the desire to take a shot at some perceived target.

Sort of like the last couple of posts on this topic...  :D
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Graphic

Sorry I haven't had much time to check my email lately.. nevertheless Nukeworker. Outage hours are killer as everyone knows.

I really can't give you an exact answer to your question as I don't really have any details. I mean what did they tell you the reason to stop processing was? Not getting denied is way better than being denied. Typically once they start the process they have to complete it. So in your case they must have looked at your PHQ and decided that you wouldn't meet their requirements and decided not to process you (my theory). Some sites actually will do that.. which is good for the applicant because then he/she doesn't have a denial on record. Other than that I don't really know how to help. Your best bet is to contact corporate security/access authorization for the plant you were denied at. Each plant has an access supervisor but they also have people over them that are typically at other plants or areas in the country. For example, FPL plants have access supervisors at each plant.. but the guy in charge of all of them is located at Juno Beach. So it just varies with each utility. Since everything is confidential it is pretty hard to get answers unless you are that person or are deemed to be privy to that information.

If you weren't denied though there will not be any information in pads. If you try to apply at another plant I wouldn't put that I was denied.. I would simply put that I never finished in-processing. That's where you need to be cautious and make sure it wasn't a denial though because if it was and you don't list it as a denial.. well then you will get denied for failure to list. Lots of rules but that's the nuke world for you.

Goodluck let me know if you figure anything out.

blackballedsnake

Good call Graphic. I am okay with what happened to me this past September. I hold no grudges, or "ill will" towards anyone. It is crystal clear that each plant(s) "owner/management company" can put in place more restrictive policies (i.e. FFD) than what's listed in 10CFR26 part 69. This is apparently what happened to me. I was approved/confirmed for this outage in June 2011. I was assured by the contract company that my FFD (preemployment) failure from 3/2006, would be irrelevant because it was > 5 years old. (NEI self disclosure forms (current REV) backs that statement up 100%. (3 choices of how to answer the questions: 1.) "Since your 18th birthday" OR 2.) "Since your last [successful] granting of UA" OR 3.) "WITHIN the last 5 years". WHICHEVER PERIOD OF TIME IS THE SHORTEST. I chose to answer the questions using choice #3...because it fit my situation. I even had a full SAP (substance abuse professional) assessment completed. I was given a release letter which stated that I was open AND forthcoming, passed all testing/screenings, and was told that no further treatment was required at the present time. (He noted that I had a history...which was already known, and dealt with. I had been granted UA SINCE those two non-nuclear related "infractions" occurred. I also provided [him] all documents from the utility that denied me UA (in 2006) I endured my 3 year suspension...as required. I think what screwed me (this past fall) was the "after thought" from the SAP. He also added that "based on the sensitivity of the field (nuclear) of which you seek to reenter, I recommend adult education classes AND an 18 month to 2 year "monitoring" of unannounced urinalysis testing/screening." Huh? Wha?! He didn't tell me to NOT go to the outage. I even asked him to explain his letter [to me] because it was essentially saying one thing in the first paragraph (ready to go with flying colors)...then another in the second part (needs more classes, etc.) He said if the plant's people need further info. to call him. (I took this as a "green light" to get back my career in nuke power) Obviously...he did not have my back. I was "thrown under the bus"...so to speak. I was highly upset with this guy (the SAP)...and rightfully so. I QUIT a job to go to this outage. I came back home to try and get the job I had back, but my position was already filled. Aw...nuts! Anyway, all this confusion could have been avoided if 1.) The contract company ASKED the utility IF my assessment letter would be accepted (OR NOT) BEFORE I reported on-site, AND 2.) The SAP should have been more direct with me by saying, "Mike, I want you to take these classes, etc. FIRST...THEN I will "back your play" to reenter the nuclear/HP/RP field. See what happens when you get "faulty" assurances? Once bitten, twice shy comes to mind right about now. I will get these classes done, but up to two years of random testing? Can a person work while doing this, or am I going to have to wait until 2014 to reenter the field?! (God I hope not) In reality, I would be automatically enrolled [under 10CFR26 part 69's guidlines] to be observed (through the CBOP) at a higher frequency AND to be randomly tested more often (while badged for UA) for a period of 5 years! (starting with my FIRST outage since the FFD violation) IT'S A PRE-REQUISITE TO GET BACK IN!! Any comments, advice? Feel free to contact me privately. Keep yer "eyez on the prize" people.  - Snake.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
highradsnake, am i reading this write?  that your sap wrote you a letter with paragraph one saying you were ok as far as his assessment and another parpagraph in which he recommended the 18-24 month period of classes and monitoring?  because if that's the case, you should have taken those classes and monitoring while sitting out for 3 years.  he covered his ass re: you by his letter and gave you what he could to get you out his door for the fee.  I imagine he probably had a fee in mind (teaching that class) and new someone (girl friend, otherwise known as a jr. sap ) who had a fee in mind (unannounced monitoring) for the balance of the 3 years. 
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

blackballedsnake

Hey SloGlo, yeah...I feel ya. Me thinks he (the SAP) wanted to ride the "gravy train" at my expense too.  :o   The SAP's "recommendation" was because of the TYPE of industry I was attempting to reenter. It was not based on my ability to follow FFD policy, or any indications of underlying abuse, etc. In essence, he's saying that I can be employed in any other field (which implements a drug/alcohol free workplace policy) EXCEPT NUCLEAR POWER!! I am starting to wonder if he's an anti-nuclear "NIMBY" eco-nut!  :-\  Hmmm...maybe I should have checked him out BEFORE I handed him $300+ for an assessment that does nothing more than give conflicting info., eh?  :-\  The reason I could not do the assessment between 2006 and 2011 is that the 3 year ban ended 3/2009...which would have been doable then, but unfortunately, I had been involved in a severe auto accident. (10/2008)  :(  I wasn't fully released to return to work until Jan. 2011.  ;D  I had the assessment done in the summer of 2011. Again, I asked him to explain his motives for writing such a letter, and he said it shouldn't be an issue with the utility...and if it was being questioned, to have the security dept. call him for further clarification. Now, how would YOU take that explanation?  :-\  I called an atty. last week...he said the SAP may have violated my civil rights by "singling me out" from work in the nuke industry, but documents that I'm "clean and sober" enough for any OTHER "safety oriented" jobs w/FFD policies in play.  >:(  That's messed the hell up...Ya think?!  >:(  I'll catch ya later 'Glo.   - Snake.  8)   P.S. - "Big Shaffe" AKA "Flappy" is doin' well...he nods off more than usual. (like Grandpa Simpson?)  ;D    (disclaimer: my humor is my own, and may not necessarily be in line with nukeworker.com and it's clientele)  :-X            
« Last Edit: Mar 27, 2012, 08:33 by Nuclear NASCAR »

blackballedsnake

Here's the latest...I've got some true blue friends on the inside, trying to get to the heart of the matter. [through PADS, etc.]  ;)  I love these individuals.  :-*  Why? They KNOW the REAL me...they know that I NEVER, EVER had any substance usages. (which caused the preemployment FFD in 2006)  ::)  I am glad to know that someone [out there] cares enough to help me reenter the nuke field. I swear on my mother's soul, that I will run in the other direction from those who COULD put my career AND integrity at risk. (i.e. - strangers, even family...like an ex-girlfriend's "vindictive" daughter?)  ::)  :)  Amen to that!! I'll keep on "doin' the do" until this gets straightened out FOR GOOD!! Peace to all of yinz.  ;)   - Snake  8)

blackballedsnake

What's shakin' peoples?  ;)  I am also preparing for a plan "B"...career wise. I should be eligible to get a student loan to get my CDL for tri-axles. My neighbor is a big boss at an agregate facility. He said the company is hurting BADLY for qualified CDL drivers. He also suggested that I also get my hazardous, and tanker endorsements. (i.e. -for hydraulic fracturing water hauling) He knows me VERY well...and is willing to vouch for me.  ;)  I better make damn sure that I keep things on the "straight and narrow" from now on...Why? He's an "old school" Spec. Ops. Recon. Marine! (Vietnam)  :-X  He has the "skills" to make me "disappear" if I make HIM look bad. Ya think?! Ahhh...finally. Things are starting to unfold for me in a positive way.  :)  Amen!  - Snake.  8)

blackballedsnake

Hey there peoples, I know this may be off topic, but I was in New Kensington, PA this morning...getting some paperwork filed. When I was leaving, some older lady stopped and asked me, "Where can I go in this town for some fun, and companionship?"  :o  [She was driving a newer mint green BMW...worth about 70K, and dressed very well with Jackie O style sunglasses]  ;)  I told her that I didn't know...I'm not from New Ken. area. My dad thinks she was "lookin' for a boytoy...and she saw me!  :P  Dammit...I coulda had me a "sugar momma".  :(  Oh, well...I musta been "off-my-game" this mornin'.  :(  (I was waiting for someone to say..."Your on candid camera!")  ;D  Keep it real out there!  - Snake.  8)

blackballedsnake

Hey there all yinz "in 'da biz", I'm changing careers...permanently. I was just hired at a local auto repair shop yesterday. The owner loves my "shadetree" mechanical skills. He also said I get a full (paid) benefits package, AND he will send me to school (for free) to acquire my ASE certification, inspection/emission licenses....plus my advanced inspection endorsement. (for reconstructed/customized vehicles) The shop is also less than 2 miles from my home! Awesome! I really enjoyed my time as an HP/RP tech. It's too damn bad that the industry "regulations" have become so nitpicking critical that it's almost impossible to know which plant will take you, and which ones won't!! (I thought there was once a term called...standardization?) Not anymore...apparently. I want to thank all the people I've met throughout the years. You guys (and gals) are the best...I will NEVER forget who yinz are, and what you've done for me. Kudos! Please keep in touch if you so desire. I'll be okay. I've come to a "crossroads in life"...time for me to venture elsewhere. God speed to yinz all.  Sincerely,  Michael T. Shaffer. "Snake"    P.S. - I did a little celebrating last night (responsibly) and I met a really cute 36 yr old Italian girl. We have our first date tonight. Woohoo!

Fermi2

Just some insight. My brother, who has every substance abuse problem imaginable, could have wrote every one of your posts nearly word for word. Found it interesting you obtained your new career (Congrats BTW I do hope you do well, just hope you never work on one of my vehicles) then went out to celebrate and felt you had to post the word responsibly. I submit a guy who had to gop through something that is akin to rehab cannot "celebrate responsibly".

blackballedsnake

As usual, I can ALWAYS count on you (BZ) to be the "arse-hole of reason". It's simply who you are. I wouldn't work on your vehicle if a gun was pointed at my head. I am an EXCELLENT mechanic. I've never, EVER had a rework job to do in my life. (you have NO right to judge my skills...you don't know me...thank God) I was just "lazy" enough (in my youth) to be a road HP tech...that's all. (i.e. EASY big money...lotsa free time...and tax free perdiem) - Snake.  P.S. - Maybe you should try being a "talking head" in politics...you're MORE than qualified!

blackballedsnake

Hey there everyone in 'da "nukie" biz, I have finished up with my first two weeks as a "new" auto/truck/machinery mechanic. My new boss is more than pleased with my raw (mechanical) skills, attention to detail/safety, and my (pleasantly) personable interactions (with customers and staff). I am now in my TRUE element. Awesome!! Nuclear power outage work, (with all it's "constantly changing" regulations, etc.) is now just a faded memory. My stress level has now been reduced by 50%!! Again, I want to thank everyone who were ALWAYS my friends, and the management-type personnel who ALWAYS had my back...and you know who you are! I will check in at nukeworker from time to time...so drop me an email if you so desire. God speed to all of yinz. - Michael Terence Shaffer.  aka "Snake".

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Congrats - my kid brother has had a wonderful time in his career as a mechanic. Started in parts, got every ASE cert there is, now runs his own shop and builds engines for TA/FC on weekends. And his commute is 47 steps....

I hope you have as much fun as he does.

:)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Congratulation Mike.  If I had Larry Smith's phone number, I'd tell him to bring you his vehicles for inspection.   ;)  Wrenching is better than OTR, you know when you'll start, where you'll be, and when you'll get done.  Watch those knuckles.  [salute]
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

blackballedsnake

Thanks much for the supportive comments. (i.e. HouseDad and peteshonkwiler) I'm livin' the good life now...it's a drop in pay, (slightly) but the "perks" are worth it. My dad, (Terence) says "hello" to you. (peteshonkwiler) He's enjoyin' his retirement. Anyhoo...keep on doin' the do! I'm keepin' my knuckles as injury free as possible! To HouseDad: Your little brother and I could talk "shop" anytime! Nothing is more exhilarating than NHRA style "wrenching"...Yeah baby! - Snake.

Offline cajunbaby84

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Glad things are going good for you Snake.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?