Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Getting "official" termination documentation. I was given ONLY "verbal" reasons honeypot

Author Topic: Getting "official" termination documentation. I was given ONLY "verbal" reasons  (Read 33565 times)

blackballedsnake

Hey there peoples, what's new out there in "nukieland 2.0"? The mechanic job didn't pan out as expected. I spoke too soon about my new boss (being a good man)...he actually turned out to be a MAJOR crook-and-a-half! (to put it lightly) He released me one week before the 90-day probationary period was to end. I could tell my side of the story, but it's useless to do so. At least I didn't quit...so I can collect unemployment. (some money is better than none, right?) I have drafted a letter that will be sent to the USNRC, and a select few (nuke staffing) upper management persons. I must try to find out why I was unable to reenter the biz...(i.e. Davis-Besse in 2011) and what I can do to get back in. (if necessary) What really infuriates me is that BNI's recruiters called me for work this fall!! That's a real slap-in-the-face...OUCH! Anyhoo, I'll keep doin' the do. Peace be with you. - Snake.

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Maybe you can pick up a position for next year's Intitial Stage of Decommisioning for the Kewaunee Power Plant?  When you talk to you Dad, tell him I said hi.
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

blackballedsnake

Thanks for the tip Pete...and I will pass on your salutations to my dad. Wow, that would be a real co-inky-dink. My very first outage was at Kewaunee...now it's "in planning" for a decommissioning. I will call a few house tech friends there for the low-down info. Catch ya later! - Snake.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Let me start off by agreeing with you in advance: No I do not know you or any of the people you have spoke about in any of your posts. I also do not know the exact circumstances surrounding your situation.

However, from the outside looking in (which is the view all prospective employers have of you) it does appear that you are setting a trend with your employment history. For your sake, I hope you do something to improve your "employment image" soon.

By the way, bad mouthing past employers never goes over well no matter how big of  [poo] bag they are.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
Snake,

I don't know you, but I can certainly empathise with your circumstance. While I haven't had a FFD question, I was once "let go" at Bessie on trumped up allegations that were proven by a federal investigation to be false.

One thing that I've not seen in any of the replies is that commercial nukes are not the only game in town.  There are many facets to this business with most (IMHO) being preferable to commercial nukes.

Look around, there's plenty out there.  Less stress, less arogance and attitude with comparable pay and benefits. Personally I have no desire to ever see the inside of a power plant again. Again, they're not the only game, in fact they're not even the preferred game.
Best of luck!
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

blackballedsnake

Okay, let me put this better focus...I did what was required of me to do. (as per 10CFR26 part 69) Now, I realize that each plant can be more "restrictive" about FFD than what is listed in the USNRC policies/guidelines. I cannot get any further info. on what was lacking in my attempt to correct the issue from 2006. I could get another SAP assessment completed, but I fear that the same result (i.e. Davis-Besse in 2011) will occur. Maybe I'm being too "black and white" about this issue. Where I come from, if there's a problem...there's usually a solution. This is the wall I'm hitting. I do appreciate all the help I'm getting through others at this site. To ksheed12: I don't see what I'm posting as "badmouthing". When a staffing company says that I'm "100% good to go"...then, once I get to the plant...suddenly I'm not. It makes me feel like a total fool. Wouldn't you agree? I just seek guidance to successfully correct the issue. Isn't that what a staffing company's security department is for? (to verify that the employee IS indeed employable) As far as setting an "employability trend"...you do have a valid point. I want it to stop...and I know how to achieve that goal, but getting the opportunity to prove it is turning out to be much harder than expected. To HousePuke: Thank you for understanding how quickly a [bad] "situation" can affect your livelihood. I'm happy to hear that the past issue (at D-B) resulted in you being acquitted of any wrongdoing. I have tried to get into some DOE/non-commercial jobs, but I'm still being told that I'm "not employable"...even though I (successfully) completed an SAP evaluation/assessment in August of 2011. I will keep on...keeping on. Karma to yinz both.  - Snake. :)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
To ksheed12: I don't see what I'm posting as "badmouthing".
This is what I was talking about.
I spoke too soon about my new boss (being a good man)...he actually turned out to be a MAJOR crook-and-a-half! (to put it lightly) He released me one week before the 90-day probationary period was to end. I could tell my side of the story, but it's useless to do so.
On a professional level the way he terminated you may have been wrong, but I would guess that he was well within his legal rights and he knew it. So he's a jerk, no one is contesting that. My advice was simply to not mention it when speaking about that job, not even on forums, because your future employer may very well be reading. Isn't that right Eric_Bartlett (heavy user since 10/6/03)?

Graphic

Snake,

I don't know you, but I can certainly empathise with your circumstance. While I haven't had a FFD question, I was once "let go" at Bessie on trumped up allegations that were proven by a federal investigation to be false.

One thing that I've not seen in any of the replies is that commercial nukes are not the only game in town.  There are many facets to this business with most (IMHO) being preferable to commercial nukes.

Look around, there's plenty out there.  Less stress, less arogance and attitude with comparable pay and benefits. Personally I have no desire to ever see the inside of a power plant again. Again, they're not the only game, in fact they're not even the preferred game.
Best of luck!

There are plenty of other places to go where money can be made. I don't think you hear many people talking about the other places here simply because this site is mostly dedicated to 'nuke workers'

blackballedsnake

To ksheed12: You need to read my posts again...the job I was referring to was non-nuclear. He IS a crook. (owner of the automotive repair shop) He's being sued by three customers, and the state is investigating his "business" ethics. Are you up-to-speed now?  btw: What the "H" does Eric Bartlett have to do with this? He's heard more than enough flak from people throughout the years... and he's a big boy. I don't think he loses any sleep over it. Am I right, Eric? - Snake.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
To ksheed12: You need to read my posts again...the job I was referring to was non-nuclear. He IS a crook. (owner of the automotive repair shop) He's being sued by three customers, and the state is investigating his "business" ethics. Are you up-to-speed now?  btw: What the "H" does Eric Bartlett have to do with this? He's heard more than enough flak from people throughout the years... and he's a big boy. I don't think he loses any sleep over it. Am I right, Eric? - Snake.

Thank goodness the Nuclear Industry doesn't review your nonnuclear work history. Good luck on your job search.

blackballedsnake

Yeah...I hear you ksheed12, my frustrations fall upon deaf ears. This conversation is getting way off topic. Eric Bartlett is not the issue. He employs technicians that will be an asset to BNI and the industry as a whole. I may have screwed up in the past, but those days are over. (an have been for many years) The industry is always short on technicians to staff outages...especially in experienced senior RP's. I want to work, but for some reason I cannot. That's the topic of this thread...getting some answers. I could get SAP evals, treatment, testing, etc. "until the cows come home" and it will most likely be (again) worthless. Human performance "issues" (i.e. FFD, tech spec violations, etc.) will occur, regardless of how many "preventative" policies are put in to play. The key is to aid in getting these problems resolved. In my case, it's following the guidelines in 10CFR26 part 69. Which I did exactly as specified. In reality, it was not honored at D-B. That doesn't bother me too much...but what does, is finding out what to do next to satisfy the industry standard. I need to spend what money I have wisely. Graphic has given me some relevent guidance on the subject, but it only gets me so far. For instance: BNI security says to do what Davis-Besse security advises...an I have already done that. I have the proof in writing...so what then IS the real hold-up? If my being very blunt, and straightforward in my "questioning process" is the problem...then say so. I do not play the "touchy-feely" politically correct game. Unfortunately, a whole bunch of people do. I remember some advice I received from an "old school" technician in the late 1980's. He said, "If you're not willling to have people quote you, [or to put it in writing] you really haven't said anything worth saying." He was a great tech too. He's dead now. At least he was willing to stand up for accountability, help others to correct a situation, and then move forward. We need more people like him. If anyone has noticed, I post my own photo, private email address, and my full name. I do not hide behind an avatar, or make any of my profile settings hidden. I'm not afraid to show who I am, or what I've done...past or present. I take full responsibility for it. Isn't that part of the core values of obtaining UA? (honesty/integrity/credibility) Anyhoo, I will keep on "knocking on doors" until someone answers. - M. Shaffer "Snake".  ;D

Graphic

Thank goodness the Nuclear Industry doesn't review your nonnuclear work history. Good luck on your job search.

They don't? Sure they do. They verify any place you may have worked since your last access.

Graphic

Yeah...I hear you ksheed12, my frustrations fall upon deaf ears. This conversation is getting way off topic. Eric Bartlett is not the issue. He employs technicians that will be an asset to BNI and the industry as a whole. I may have screwed up in the past, but those days are over. (an have been for many years) The industry is always short on technicians to staff outages...especially in experienced senior RP's. I want to work, but for some reason I cannot. That's the topic of this thread...getting some answers. I could get SAP evals, treatment, testing, etc. "until the cows come home" and it will most likely be (again) worthless. Human performance "issues" (i.e. FFD, tech spec violations, etc.) will occur, regardless of how many "preventative" policies are put in to play. The key is to aid in getting these problems resolved. In my case, it's following the guidelines in 10CFR26 part 69. Which I did exactly as specified. In reality, it was not honored at D-B. That doesn't bother me too much...but what does, is finding out what to do next to satisfy the industry standard. I need to spend what money I have wisely. Graphic has given me some relevent guidance on the subject, but it only gets me so far. For instance: BNI security says to do what Davis-Besse security advises...an I have already done that. I have the proof in writing...so what then IS the real hold-up? If my being very blunt, and straightforward in my "questioning process" is the problem...then say so. I do not play the "touchy-feely" politically correct game. Unfortunately, a whole bunch of people do. I remember some advice I received from an "old school" technician in the late 1980's. He said, "If you're not willling to have people quote you, [or to put it in writing] you really haven't said anything worth saying." He was a great tech too. He's dead now. At least he was willing to stand up for accountability, help others to correct a situation, and then move forward. We need more people like him. If anyone has noticed, I post my own photo, private email address, and my full name. I do not hide behind an avatar, or make any of my profile settings hidden. I'm not afraid to show who I am, or what I've done...past or present. I take full responsibility for it. Isn't that part of the core values of obtaining UA? (honesty/integrity/credibility) Anyhoo, I will keep on "knocking on doors" until someone answers. - M. Shaffer "Snake".  ;D

As I told you before the doors you need to knock on are the ones who denied you. They are the only ones who will be able to tell you why you were denied access. Don't try to go through whatever company hired you, they don't know. You have to go through site security of whatever plant you were trying to gain access from. It's pretty simple, you said you were charged in 2006 and you tried to gain access in 2011. That's 5 years. Sure, it was a little over 5 years but in their eyes you obviously still didn't meet their requirements simply based on the letter from the substance abuse counselor. If you weren't officially 'denied access' then you wouldn't have ever received a letter in the mail. They only do that for people who were actually denied.

So if you want to gain access this is what you do. Fill out a PHQ from a nuclear plant you'd like to gain access (readily available on many plant websites). Then you fill out the phq and all relevant information regarding your previous history. From there, fax or mail it in and on the cover sheet you state that you want it to be reviewed to see if you are eligible to gain access. There is no need to try and go through a company that is working for the utility when you can go straight to the source.

Those are your only two options really -- Fill out a phq and get it reviewed, or call the plant that denied you(not a real denial as you say.. more of a 'no') and ask them why. It isn't that hard to get the information.

I don't mind helping but you are either leaving something out of the story or you aren't trying hard enough to get answers.

Good luck

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
They don't? Sure they do. They verify any place you may have worked since your last access.

Sorry, I assumed everyone would see the sarcasm dripping from that post thereby eliminating the need to insert a  :->
Going forward, I will make sure to use the appropriate smileys.

Graphic

Sorry, I assumed everyone would see the sarcasm dripping from that post thereby eliminating the need to insert a  :->
Going forward, I will make sure to use the appropriate smileys.

lol. No problem I definitely missed it  :-X --- I never claimed to be smart  :D
« Last Edit: Oct 26, 2012, 04:03 by Graphic »

blackballedsnake

I caught the oozing sarcasm...but it doesn't help with getting answers to the question(s). ::) Anyway, thanks much to Graphic...he IS being helpful. I have called Davis-Besse to get answers (in the past)...to no avail. I keep getting transferred to dead-end departments, etc. :( When I ask to speak with a security/access supervisor, I get (you guessed it) their voicemail. I will take Graphic's additional advice, and see how it goes. I have nothing left to lose...and everything to gain, right? BTW: If anyone [truly] knows who I need to speak with at D-B, please email me the appropriate contact info. :) To Graphic: I'm not leaving out any details. It's all been laid out (to you) as it happened...and I will press harder for an answer. Okay then, I think enough has been discussed, etc. for now. I'm off-and-running...to where exactly? Time will tell. - Snake. 8)   

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
There are plenty of other places to go where money can be made. I don't think you hear many people talking about the other places here simply because this site is mostly dedicated to 'nuke workers'

I was talking about nuke work, not outside of nuke. Power plants are only a part of the industry. There is lots of nuke work other than power plants and the same rules do not apply across the board.
The comments are too centered on power plants as though that's THE only game. It's far from it.  ;)
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?