Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Study Study

Author Topic: Study Study  (Read 7462 times)

Offline Firefly

• Very Lite User
Study Study
« on: Mar 20, 2012, 11:25 »
I am in a position where I have a TON of free time to study (1st Limdu period, and it's looking like I'm going to be permanently disqualified). I have been trying to prepare for my future, specifically if the Navy gives me the boot. I have been reading this forum and I am using the advice: I've gathered a few resumes from friends in my rate that have got jobs in the past 4 months, I'm going to be taking the next TAP class offered on my site, I wish I could do college but I can't commit to college courses right now with ALL the uncertainty. I have a lot of respect for all the secretaries in the world but seriously...I need something to balance the mindless work I am doing.

I have been taking the quizzes and reading the DOE manuals under the Study tab on this site, but is there anything I can order online-college textbooks, DOE manuals, Navy training manuals. Or any sites I can visit other than this one to prepare for getting out and getting a nuke job or just to keep my mind sharp. I am familiar with the Google search function, ;) but recommended sites by fellow people in the community sounds way better then weeding through all the crap.

I'm not the typical Nuke, no 99 asvab scoring, no photographic memory, and absolutely NEVER had my eyes roll to the back of my head, black out and recite paragraphs from RPMS. I gotta stay sharp by studying.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Study Study
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2012, 12:09 »
I'm not the typical Nuke, no 99 asvab scoring, no photographic memory, and absolutely NEVER had my eyes roll to the back of my head, black out and recite paragraphs from RPMS. I gotta stay sharp by studying.

Sounds like RP Tech potential...  8)
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:01 »
You may be in a position to pursue a TESC NET degree. I know you don't want to take classes because you may be getting out, but that process does take longer then you'd think, unfortuantely. Perhaps even just one class would be prudent?  Calculus is Calculus and transfers to pretty much any major.

How long have you been in, how many quals do you have?  If you've been in the navy for 2 years and haven't qualified anything; your advice will be different if you've been in for 5 years and fully qualified.

Offline Firefly

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Mar 20, 2012, 01:11 »
I've been in for just under 5 years, (ET1) I've qualified SRO, instructor, and QAI. I went to school for 4 years prior to the Navy and am just shy of a Mechanical Engineering degree. A lot of the college classes I would need to take aren't offered online :(

I guess as an alternative to school are there any tests I could take where I could study on my own and help me out? (The whole 5 years I've been in comparred to my peers is a handicap)

I was very strong in Maintenace and have experience planning.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20, 2012, 02:59 »
Really sounds like you're going through similar things as I had to go through.  Pending your medical condition doesn't disqualify you from civilian plants, you would be hire-able as an operator or some kind of tech as you stand.  Finishing your degree would make you incredibly desired, not to mention, if you have 2 years qualified and standing RO... you could theoretically jump to SRO as well.

Are you worried about career prospects, or just bored and biding your time? 

Fermi2

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20, 2012, 04:20 »
Plants are moving away from hiring RO directly out of the Navy into SRO classes. I know my facility has a success rate of zero with them so I believe we are done with ROs who have not been EWS types.

I'll tell you what I did, I had a strong mechanical background so I upped my electrical knowledge particularly in reading electrical schematics and wiring diagrams. Given both are nearly a basic skill at a commercial facility it helped a LOT. (I took  Navy NEETS course) . Also a nice thing to at least glance at are the DOE Theory Modules. They're much better written than the General Physics ones and give a great deal of knowledge on how a real reactor (Commercial) works.

Offline Firefly

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Mar 20, 2012, 09:18 »
I absolutely could not go direct SRO. I do believe I have the work ethic, I'm 100% willing to learn, but I would end up killing myself with stress ulcers! It takes time for me to adapt to new situations before I can truly get good at a job, I'm not one to dive in and kick ass off the bat. That's why I would prefer some sort of stepping stone into the civilian community.

Really sounds like you're going through similar things as I had to go through.  Pending your medical condition doesn't disqualify you from civilian plants, you would be hire-able as an operator or some kind of tech as you stand.  Finishing your degree would make you incredibly desired, not to mention, if you have 2 years qualified and standing RO... you could theoretically jump to SRO as well.

Are you worried about career prospects, or just bored and biding your time? 

I am a bit of both, I don't have any big financial commitments where I would need a job right away, no no I didn't blow my bonus on a Corvette, Harley, and a boat. Work right now is incredibly boring, and I would like to get smart in my spare time. I'm older then most of my peers and time is a ticking! I would really like to start a family but I also cannot stand the thought of being financially reliant on someone else. I have to be able to provide for myself and a wee one independently (Is it 10 out of 10 Navy marriages end in divorce?) So I guess getting a job or finishing up college after the Navy are the only two options I have.
« Last Edit: Mar 20, 2012, 09:23 by Firefly »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Mar 21, 2012, 05:14 »
For classes, look at University of North Dakota. I know they offered almost a full Engineering degree program via correspondence, although that was several years ago, and the cost is fully covered by TA.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?