Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Thinking Nuke honeypot

Author Topic: Thinking Nuke  (Read 3358 times)

Offline DanaDark

• Lurker
Thinking Nuke
« on: Mar 26, 2012, 03:54 »
Hello there!

I have been trolling these forums for a few days now and figured I should at least say hello. I recently began looking into the Navy as a legitimate career move. Certain national policies in place regarding the military had turned me off before, but times are changing.

Anyway, I am a healthy 27 year old with a Bachelor's in Computer Science and Mathematics minor. I recently went to a Navy recruiting station where I told the recruiters I was interested in joining the Navy but had little idea where exactly I would fit in. After they found out I already have my degree with a 3.1 gpa, they told me I have to talk to an Officer instead.

As an aside, my gpa is a little on the lower side due to having taken a great deal of pre-nursing courses and not doing so hot before switching majors. Yay for being a computer science major with neural anatomy, human physiology, biology, human anatomy, and various other medically related classes in the transcript...

Anyway, the LT immediately began pushing me towards the Nuke program and OCS, giving me some links to relevant sites and information as well as a NUPOC study guide. I decided to ponder it over. This is after all, something I had never even remotely considered. After reading more about the opportunities, the life, responsibilities, and so on, I have come to the conclusion that this is something that does really interest me. I have not felt this excited about a possibility in a long time. After two weeks of just thinking about it, I decided it is something I must pursue and cannot allow to be something that remains a "what if" memory.

I was given a brief overview of the application process with the LT, where I need to fill out a seemingly endless number of pages for security clearance, a smaller application for the position itself, take a trip to see a nuclear powered vessel, get a medical workup, hope to be invited to the interview process at Washington D.C., interview with some technical staff and the Admiral, and if accepted, go to OCS.

So far, this is all just preliminary work up for me. I have not signed anything nor have I committed to anything. I just started filling out paperwork and studying the NUPOC Study guide... which makes me feel incredibly rusty in my math and physics... thankfully I have kept half of my notes from college and have thrown myself in full study mode.

I do have a few questions I was wondering about that I am not sure if the recruiters are fully correct on...

The enlisted men at the recruiting station said that given I already have a degree with an O.K. GPA, I wouldn't need to take the ASVAB. The LT never mentioned anything about the ASVAB either. I have actually taken it twice before in my life and got 98 both times I took it. They did have me take a "practice ASVAB" right there at the station within 15 minutes of walking in the first day and got a 95 on that. Now for the question: Do I actually need to take the ASVAB and the recruiters just mistaken? As well, are there other tests I would need to take? There was no mention of ANY testing besides the interview process at Washington D.C. which could be seen as a test of sorts.

As for my desires, I would like to become a nuclear officer on either a submarine or aircraft carrier (I have no preference as I find both completely fascinating in different ways). I am told that this is called a "SWO-nuke" (Surface Warfare Officer Nuke). Is this outline that the LT has given me going to be the route best taken to fit my desires? I have absolutely NO interest in the Enlisted route (the enlisted guys suggested I got enlisted then try to become an officer). I would much rather be an officer in the nuclear field, station aboard an aircraft carrier or submarine than take an enlisted route that would leave me in who knows where. Plus, I have no interest in becoming a power school instructor or a naval reactors engineer (and doubt I would qualify given my background is more science than engineering).

I am also leaning towards possibly a career long path. I cannot be certain until the initial 5 year commitment is up (as I am told is required), but the idea of making this a career and not just a 5 year job does intrigue me greatly.

Anyway, I apologize for the lengthy post, but I just have so much to say! I would appreciate any answers to my inquiries as well as any advice that anyone may have.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Thinking Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Mar 27, 2012, 09:45 »
For enlistment stuff :
All enlisted persons take the ASVAB..... 
If you don't do well enough on certain sections of the asvab, you will have to take the NAPT

If you go as an enlisted person, you can work your way into a mid 100's income in 8 years as an SRO. Barring that, you can do your 6 and out and get a 60-70k starting job as an operator and wind up in the SRO position. 

Others will chime in on the officer stuff.

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
Re: Thinking Nuke
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2012, 08:14 »
ASVAB is for enlisting.

If you're trying to go NUPOC, focus on learning the material in the study guide - especially the calculus and physics.  For NUPOC, you submit all your papers and hope for an invitation to interview.  If you get an interview, you'll have to prove yourself via two or three technical interviews with engineers and one personal/non-technical interview infront of the admiral.

If you pass, you're in.  You'll sign enlistment papers.  You'll get a bonus (subs and surface) and you will be considered active duty.  You'll go home and pretty much just wait around until it's time to class up to OCS.  Don't get confused though, you're not enlisting to become an enlisted sailor.  You're accepting admission into the NUPOC program.  Once in you are considered active duty, pulling in a regular pay check at the E-6 payrate.  But if, you drop from the program anytime after signing and before earning your comission, those papers you signed on day one say you owe the Navy some time.  That time will be spent as an enlisted sailor.

Both SUBS and SWO(N) start at OCS.  The general progression for the initial 5 years is as follows. For subs, after you earn your commission you'll head to nuke school then prototype then to the fleet.  For surface, after you earn your commission you go to the fleet on a convential powered ship.  Then you'll head to nuke school, prototype and then to a carrier.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?