Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Old Companies  

Author Topic: Old Companies  (Read 33135 times)

Offline rcr26

• Very Lite User
Old Companies
« on: Apr 02, 2012, 05:37 »
What ever happened to GTS, IRM, Numanco, Rad Servives ans ARC? Been out of buisness 19 years and getting back in. 13 years as a nuke and comming back.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Old Companies
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2012, 11:16 »
GTS merged with Duratek, which was bought by EnergySolutions.
ARC went out of business, anything left of them was purchased by Numanco.
Numanco was bought by Bartlett when Bartlett bought Sun -- Bartlett is no longer owned by Bruce.  Some of the talent from Numanco went to Atlantic Group.
Rad Services went out of business.
IRM went out of business.

You didn't ask about PSESI or Hydro Nuclear, and many others.

Shaw Grp and Atlantic Group have joined Bartlett as players in the Power Plant  rad tech business.  EnergySolutions is trying to get in there also.

« Last Edit: Apr 02, 2012, 11:17 by Rennhack »

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2012, 11:58 »
Just an add in:

Numanco was first bought by Westinghouse, along with Hydro-Nuclear, etc. to become Westinghouse Radiological Services (WRS), then the tech portion sold off to Nuclear Support Services (NSS).  Before becoming NSS-NUMANCO, Numanco managed certain IRM assets (valid contracts) for Liberty Engineering.  Sun bought a good portion of NSS then sold out to a Utility, from whom BNI bought the services portion of the business.

As for Rad Services, when the management and the other side of the business came under legal problems most of the folks moved over to (new company) GTS, which is now (as Mike said) through mergers/by-outs/etc part of Energy Solutions.
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2012, 12:28 »
The utility was AEP. 

I worked for WRS during that transition period.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2012, 09:14 »
Just an add in:

Numanco was first bought by Westinghouse, along with Hydro-Nuclear, etc. to become Westinghouse Radiological Services (WRS), then the tech portion sold off to Nuclear Support Services (NSS).  Before becoming NSS-NUMANCO, Numanco managed certain IRM assets (valid contracts) for Liberty Engineering.  Sun bought a good portion of NSS then sold out to a Utility, from whom BNI bought the services portion of the business.

As for Rad Services, when the management and the other side of the business came under legal problems most of the folks moved over to (new company) GTS, which is now (as Mike said) through mergers/by-outs/etc part of Energy Solutions.

Rad Services was sold to NSS.  The people, and most of their business, went to HPTS which became GTS when it was bought by General Physics.  Then it was GTS-Duratek, which is no longer in the contract HP tech staffing business.

AEP bought NSS-Numanco-Sun, then spun off Numanco, which was bought by Bartlett.

Somehow, through all that, if you call the 1-800 number for Rad Services, someone at Bartlett will answer.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2012, 04:12 »
I was reading this earlier today  [coffee], and some of the companies interactions seemed a little out of whack   [sherlock] by my memory.  However, I did not want to trust my memory alone  :old:  with such vaunted posters as have already written here.  So, I consulted with "a reliable source" as the person wishes to remain.  

General Physics started a new division called General Technical Services (GTS) for HP and QA staff augmentation.  GTS developed its own division for HP support called HP Technical Services and bought Fauth Associates which was a QA Services provider.

Some of the management of RAD Services left RAD when the other side of the business came under legal problems and joined HPTS.  RAD Services went out of business and the Rad Services contracts were taken over by NSS including as well all the employee records.

GTS folded the HP and QA Group together becoming just General Technical Services without the divisions

GTS bought Duratek which was a publically held business doing power plant water cleanup and had a line of excellent resin for water cleanup.  This became GTS Duratek, a publicly held company, and was soon separated from General Physics.

GTS Duratek bought SEG from Westinghouse.

GTS Duratek took over running of Barnwell for the State of South Carolina

The HP staff augmentation group of GTS Duratek was shut down when they lost the Duke Power contract.  Soon after the QA group dissolved.

Energy Solutions bought GTS Duratek.

No idea about how the 1-800-number got to Bartlett, but it may have been through the buy out of NSS etc.

Now this is more the way I remember things <3.  Of course, one of my favorite memories of the days when Rad was running under many different banners, was the nicknaming of HPTS as Happy People Techs and Services.  [GH]

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2012, 04:16 by Atomic Archeologist »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2012, 04:46 »
What ever happened to GTS, IRM, Numanco, Rad Servives ans ARC? Been out of buisness 19 years and getting back in. 13 years as a nuke and comming back.

I think you will find that the companies and their owners are less colorful than the original body shops. I remember meeting Chuck Pierce prior to my first commercial job, he had long hair, he was heavy set, looked like he was dressed more for Vegas than New England and he had a very small office and staff. It made more sense when I found out he was an ex-Navy Nuke.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Apr 03, 2012, 08:57 »
AEP bought NSS-Numanco-Sun, then spun off Numanco, which was bought by Bartlett.

Bartlett also bought Sun.  They really wanted Sun, and just took Numanco in the deal as an add on.

Offline HousePuke

• ALARA Coordinator / Rad Engineer
  • Heavy User
  • If you don't like it here, go somewhere else!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2012, 08:29 »
Does anyone out there remember Allied Nuclear?
Irish diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell such that he looks forward to making the trip.

Inspite of inflation, a penny is still a fair price for most peoples thoughts.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2012, 08:37 »
   I think you will find that the companies and their owners are less colorful than the original body shops. I remember meeting Chuck Pierce prior to my first commercial job, he had long hair, he was heavy set, looked like he was dressed more for Vegas than New England and he had a very small office and staff. It made more sense when I found out he was an ex-Navy Nuke.

The industry was certainly more interesting back then...
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2012, 08:38 »

I remember them, but I never worked for them.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2012, 08:41 »
I also remember them but never had the opportunity to work for them.  I was a Numanco person for a very long time (first site coordinator I had was Short Stick at IP II) until it got so bad when NSS bought them.  It wasn't great under Westinghouse but tolerable.
LM

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2012, 09:46 »
   The number of companies back then was much larger but so was the profit margin. I remember an outage with one Prime contractor and six backups to fill all the slots. A few of us may remember QMI the company we signed individual contracts with but negotiated as a group (Co-op), a one trick pony but good pay checks for an outage.

I really miss those days, I must be a sick puppy.  [beer]

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2012, 11:11 »
   The number of companies back then was much larger but so was the profit margin.....

The industry was certainly more interesting back then...

Two sea changes,...

Deregulation,...

FFD,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline spentfuel

• Moderate User
« Reply #14 on: Apr 04, 2012, 12:53 »

Yes I worked for them one outage at Trojan, think it was the first refuel back in 77 or early 78.  Pay checks were at times rubber and as I recall I was promised future employment with them but I think they fizzled out after another contract or two.

I also remember them but never had the opportunity to work for them.  I was a Numanco person for a very long time (first site coordinator I had was Short Stick at IP II) until it got so bad when NSS bought them.  It wasn't great under Westinghouse but tolerable.
LM

I also worked for ss at IP2 what a (what to say a bad word) he was.  Worked with him elsewhere as a tech and he was not much different that way either.

Meet Chuck Peirce and was invited to the office in Pawtucket to meet Sue and the rest of the "staff" like six of them.

Yep the old days is long gone.

sf

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2012, 01:08 »
I first met the Numaco staff when the office was in the Pawtucket Chamber of Commerce building.  The new headquarters at the Marina were very nice.
LM

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2012, 02:44 »
   I really miss those days, I must be a sick puppy.  [beer]
eye am with yew on this won!  [beer]  the daze of getting a call from a recruiter who had a plane reservation for you, getting to the end of the flight, getting greeted by someone sent to pick you up.  no sign, he just knew a hp when he saw an hp. 
daze when if you told a recruiter to call back when she had a better deal, it was understood that she would call you back and there would be a better deal.
daze when you negotiated a deal, that was the deal.
daze when you didn't carry a fore cubic foot duffle bag to go to work, you put that in the car for the drive away from home.  you went into work with a lunch box, and maybe an extra set of underwear.

barkeep!  we knead another round here!
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #17 on: Apr 04, 2012, 02:57 »
memories! [dowave]  worked with them off 'n on for a decade or so, mid80s to mid90s.  i don't think their was one job that wasn't a d.o.d. deal.  good times with that group.  won of the best stories  [prize] was when we got run off one site in 92 when the feds ran out of money.  site co-ordinator went to the brass [salute] at an army base we were on wanting more money the same day congress cut the cord. [spank] he was told they had just been talking about how they were going to break the news that we were gone due two lack of funding. [stop]  i was laughing so hard it was tough to break his stones [dink] over the issue.  i mean, i managed too, it was just tough two due it with a straight face. [agree]

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #18 on: Apr 04, 2012, 02:59 »
Yes I worked for them one outage at Trojan, think it was the first refuel back in 77 or early 78.  Pay checks were at times rubber and as I recall I was promised future employment with them but I think they fizzled out after another contract or two.
Good thread. Al Lied Nuclear hung around in name 'til the early nineties. They also had a waste reduction process in Richland, WA that would later undergo several name changes, changes in owners, bankruptcy, criminal charges, etc. The facility is still there doing business.
Funny story, Allied had a contract at the Shippingport D&D project next to Beaver Valley in the mid to late '80s. Senior techs would show up there thinking they were getting $12 and $50 a day per diem only to find out they were getting $12.50, period. Some of the $12.50 was being paid in per diem and the rest in hourly. Essentially, junior HP wages to do senior job coverage. Some years after the project was completed, the US Dept of Labor Wage and Hour Division got wind of the contract, work scope and wages paid at Shippingport during those years and techs who had worked there got a nice little surprise in the mail the following Christmas from Santa. Ah, the good old days.

duke99301

« Reply #19 on: Apr 04, 2012, 05:07 »
But who rally cares now is today most of the same faces are still around, humm who bough NSS stock?
the company I work for now pays every week and even has hp back ups that pays them more than the others.
best theng thatever happend is wehn I had the DOL take on bruce and I won hehad to pay back payplus diem. do to the fact I was on site and on the payroll.
best thing to rember come 1990 it cleaned the herd , money did go up but not do to a wild cat walk out.
I still have the choice of flight in motel and rent a car or go on  full diem and sty in my rv milage in out and time for driving. there some good choices out there and good money to be made  it how you ask for it

IPREGEN

« Reply #20 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:31 »
That was back when you could hear people like Benny Kiman say, " I don't need this job, I got $15 in the bank and could work anywhere starting tomorrow."

Offline snowman

• Moderate User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #21 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:52 »
Another major player from those days was Combustion Engineering. They had a lot of contracts in the eighties. They went the way of the Dodo bird but resurfaced for a short time in Florida under a different name that escapes me now. DNI had one or two steady contracts back then, Turkey Point being one of them. Seems like Quadrex had work for HP's back then, too. They're all gone.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: Apr 05, 2012, 11:05 »
Another major player from those days was Combustion Engineering. They had a lot of contracts in the eighties. They went the way of the Dodo bird but resurfaced for a short time in Florida under a different name that escapes me now....

PSESI IIRC,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

surf50

« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2012, 12:07 »
My first employer in those days was Atlantic Nuclear Services, ANS.
They supplied Westinghouse with S/G jumpers, of which I was one.
Not sure what ANS morphed into, or what company swallowed it..
Most of us migrated over to IRM after that gig ended..good old Pete McCallister, Sr. hired us.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2012, 12:59 »
My first employer in those days was Atlantic Nuclear Services, ANS.
They supplied Westinghouse with S/G jumpers, of which I was one.
Not sure what ANS morphed into, or what company swallowed it..
Most of us migrated over to IRM after that gig ended..good old Pete McCallister, Sr. hired us.
worked with atlantic out at songs on the u1 resleeving project.  wasn't there site coordinator busted for rad tools in his garage?

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2012, 01:02 »
That was back when you could hear people like Benny Kiman say, " I don't need this job, I got $15 in the bank and could work anywhere starting tomorrow."
tom stacy said it first, about 1978, at the beav.  aye am thinking the exact quote went, "i don't need this job, i got 14 dollars and 85 cents in the bank".  then he dragged up.

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2012, 12:26 »

Chuck was a colorfull character with no doubt, but he also had a lot of Character!  He was one of my best friends.  Met him when he was NNPP & I was SY.  He did a couple of outages for a mutual friend before forming NUMANCO.  Very proud to say that I got him his first contract outside NE.

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2012, 10:59 »
Chuck was a colorfull character with no doubt, but he also had a lot of Character!  He was one of my best friends.  Met him when he was NNPP & I was SY.  He did a couple of outages for a mutual friend before forming NUMANCO.  Very proud to say that I got him his first contract outside NE.

Yes he was good to his word, I think it took a lot of people by surprise when he sold his company and took up selling jet skis. I believe his contract required him to stay out of the business for five years unfortunatley he did not make it that long and went too young.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:13 »
   Yes he was good to his word, I think it took a lot of people by surprise when he sold his company and took up selling jet skis. I believe his contract required him to stay out of the business for five years unfortunatley he did not make it that long and went too young.

I will always remember Chuck fondly. He was always good to me and insisted on talking to me personally every time I called the office (even if I just called to talk to Sue.) He asked me to do a favor once and he repaid me by giving me a series of plum jobs. Like you said, true to his word. He was also the first to get off of the old standard $30 perdiem that had lasted so long. I remember having to tell him what $44 x 7 days equalled when he hand wrote me the first 'new, improved' pd check in 1979.

Lots of good times with him. I was really sad when I found out he was gone.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:33 »
If I recall correctly, my first PD was $28 a day at TMI.  I remember going to 33 then 44.  After Chuck sold NUMANCO, he went into selling water recreation toys.
LM

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:38 »
I started at $30/day in 1974, went to $44 in 1979.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #32 on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:47 »
I started at $30/day in 1974, went to $44 in 1979.

210 a week with rad from '76 until i went with bruce four 44 per day in spring of '80. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:01 »
I worked for them in 1985 at Duane Arnold.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline guido.nyc

• Very Lite User
  • Keep it...you needed one anyway!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:35 »
I sounds like you guys know your old company course of history...and some real old trivia!
Here a couple of Trivia questions?  :)

1) Who was the lead at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when CLENCO was the decon company?  [Hint: FishLips)

2) What year was the Union Strike at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when they allowed the HP Rent-A-Techs to bring in tents and set camp on-site so they didn't have to cross the picket line in an effort to keep the plant in operation?

3)  Which company did the HP staff augmentation during the Union Strike in early 80's ?

4) During that Union Strike what did they name the HP camp site?

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2012, 07:37 by guido.nyc »
Eating, loving & digesting are, in truth, the 3 acts of the comic opera known as life & they pass like bubbles of a bottle of champagne.  Whoever lets them break without having enjoyed them is a fool.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 »
I sounds like you guys know your old company course of history...and some real old trivia!

1) Who was the lead at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when CLENCO was the decon company?  [Hint: FishLips)

2) What year was the Union Strike at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when they allowed the HP Rent-A-Techs to bring in tents and set camp on-site so they didn't have to cross the picket line in an effort to keep the plant in operation?

3)  Which company did the HP staff augmentation during the Union Strike in early 80's ?

Having not been to IP2 since 1978 (and trying hard to forget about most of that trip) I can tell you that the company was CLEANCO, not CLENCO and that I believe that the site coordinator had the same first name as me.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:57 »

1) Who was the lead at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when CLENCO was the decon company?  [Hint: FishLips) Jack

I wouldn't cross the picket line so I didn't answer the call to go.
LM

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #37 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:15 »

pure guess, c-e? 

hatrai07

« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:07 »
Question #1  I'm guessing Roger "Catfish" Littleton

Chimera

« Reply #39 on: Apr 18, 2012, 04:49 »
CleanCo was there in the '70's also.  Pete Krepps was one of the Site Coordinators in the early '80's for Numanco.

Offline hope

• Lurker
« Reply #40 on: Apr 24, 2012, 01:21 »
Hmmmm.  I'm thinking that "Fish Lips" is none other than my man Louie.  And "guido" is maybe PP?

What they called the famed tent city is lost on me.  We were at Fitz, watching Turkey Pointers cross our picket line.

stownsend

« Reply #41 on: Apr 24, 2012, 02:49 »
Worked for them at Brown's Ferry 82. How about ATBI of Barnwell at Arkansas 85.That job sucked. I remember me, Bill Mahony, Joe Guido, Rick Dorety,Grandma Nuke,  Joann Thaer all got our 5 to 15 cent raises and we all made reservations to Mexico . They were surprised when we clocked out.Good times.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012, 03:00 by stownsend »

Offline rcr26

• Very Lite User
« Reply #42 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:38 »
How many of you old timers still have your Numanco belt buckle?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:20 »
Better yet how many of you old timers made money with NSS stock ?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:59 »
How many of you old timers still have your Numanco belt buckle?

I think I have mine somewhere... mint condition, never worn.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:03 »
CleanCo was there in the '70's also.  Pete Krepps was one of the Site Coordinators in the early '80's for Numanco.

Pete was a supervisor there in '78. Mel Hensch was the site coordinator during that outage.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #46 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:42 »
Pete Krepps? Haven't heard that name since 79-80...wow...brought back a wave of memories...

Chimera

« Reply #47 on: Apr 25, 2012, 11:47 »
Pete was a supervisor there in '78. Mel Hensch was the site coordinator during that outage.

When I was there in 1981, Mel had moved on to Pilgrim and Pete was running the show for NUMANCO.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:03 »
When I was there in 1981, Mel had moved on to Pilgrim and Pete was running the show for NUMANCO.

Mel went on to Pilgrim at the end of the spring outage in 78 and stayed there for a while. The only time I saw Pete again was when he dropped in to visit me in Maryland a couple of years later.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?