Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Old Companies

Author Topic: Old Companies  (Read 33048 times)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
Re: Old Companies
« Reply #25 on: Apr 05, 2012, 01:02 »
That was back when you could hear people like Benny Kiman say, " I don't need this job, I got $15 in the bank and could work anywhere starting tomorrow."
tom stacy said it first, about 1978, at the beav.  aye am thinking the exact quote went, "i don't need this job, i got 14 dollars and 85 cents in the bank".  then he dragged up.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #27 on: Apr 06, 2012, 12:26 »
I think you will find that the companies and their owners are less colorful than the original body shops. I remember meeting Chuck Pierce prior to my first commercial job, he had long hair, he was heavy set, looked like he was dressed more for Vegas than New England and he had a very small office and staff. It made more sense when I found out he was an ex-Navy Nuke. 

Chuck was a colorfull character with no doubt, but he also had a lot of Character!  He was one of my best friends.  Met him when he was NNPP & I was SY.  He did a couple of outages for a mutual friend before forming NUMANCO.  Very proud to say that I got him his first contract outside NE.

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #28 on: Apr 06, 2012, 10:59 »
Chuck was a colorfull character with no doubt, but he also had a lot of Character!  He was one of my best friends.  Met him when he was NNPP & I was SY.  He did a couple of outages for a mutual friend before forming NUMANCO.  Very proud to say that I got him his first contract outside NE.

Yes he was good to his word, I think it took a lot of people by surprise when he sold his company and took up selling jet skis. I believe his contract required him to stay out of the business for five years unfortunatley he did not make it that long and went too young.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 06, 2012, 11:13 »
   Yes he was good to his word, I think it took a lot of people by surprise when he sold his company and took up selling jet skis. I believe his contract required him to stay out of the business for five years unfortunatley he did not make it that long and went too young.

I will always remember Chuck fondly. He was always good to me and insisted on talking to me personally every time I called the office (even if I just called to talk to Sue.) He asked me to do a favor once and he repaid me by giving me a series of plum jobs. Like you said, true to his word. He was also the first to get off of the old standard $30 perdiem that had lasted so long. I remember having to tell him what $44 x 7 days equalled when he hand wrote me the first 'new, improved' pd check in 1979.

Lots of good times with him. I was really sad when I found out he was gone.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #30 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:33 »
If I recall correctly, my first PD was $28 a day at TMI.  I remember going to 33 then 44.  After Chuck sold NUMANCO, he went into selling water recreation toys.
LM

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: Apr 06, 2012, 01:38 »
I started at $30/day in 1974, went to $44 in 1979.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #32 on: Apr 09, 2012, 10:47 »
I started at $30/day in 1974, went to $44 in 1979.

210 a week with rad from '76 until i went with bruce four 44 per day in spring of '80. 

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #33 on: Apr 09, 2012, 09:01 »
Does anyone out there remember Allied Nuclear?
I worked for them in 1985 at Duane Arnold.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline guido.nyc

• Very Lite User
  • Keep it...you needed one anyway!
« Reply #34 on: Apr 13, 2012, 07:35 »
I sounds like you guys know your old company course of history...and some real old trivia!
Here a couple of Trivia questions?  :)

1) Who was the lead at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when CLENCO was the decon company?  [Hint: FishLips)

2) What year was the Union Strike at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when they allowed the HP Rent-A-Techs to bring in tents and set camp on-site so they didn't have to cross the picket line in an effort to keep the plant in operation?

3)  Which company did the HP staff augmentation during the Union Strike in early 80's ?

4) During that Union Strike what did they name the HP camp site?

« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2012, 07:37 by guido.nyc »
Eating, loving & digesting are, in truth, the 3 acts of the comic opera known as life & they pass like bubbles of a bottle of champagne.  Whoever lets them break without having enjoyed them is a fool.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #35 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:49 »
I sounds like you guys know your old company course of history...and some real old trivia!

1) Who was the lead at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when CLENCO was the decon company?  [Hint: FishLips)

2) What year was the Union Strike at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when they allowed the HP Rent-A-Techs to bring in tents and set camp on-site so they didn't have to cross the picket line in an effort to keep the plant in operation?

3)  Which company did the HP staff augmentation during the Union Strike in early 80's ?

Having not been to IP2 since 1978 (and trying hard to forget about most of that trip) I can tell you that the company was CLEANCO, not CLENCO and that I believe that the site coordinator had the same first name as me.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #36 on: Apr 13, 2012, 08:57 »

1) Who was the lead at IP1/IP2 in early 80's when CLENCO was the decon company?  [Hint: FishLips) Jack

I wouldn't cross the picket line so I didn't answer the call to go.
LM

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #37 on: Apr 17, 2012, 09:15 »

pure guess, c-e? 

hatrai07

« Reply #38 on: Apr 18, 2012, 11:07 »
Question #1  I'm guessing Roger "Catfish" Littleton

Chimera

« Reply #39 on: Apr 18, 2012, 04:49 »
CleanCo was there in the '70's also.  Pete Krepps was one of the Site Coordinators in the early '80's for Numanco.

Offline hope

• Lurker
« Reply #40 on: Apr 24, 2012, 01:21 »
Hmmmm.  I'm thinking that "Fish Lips" is none other than my man Louie.  And "guido" is maybe PP?

What they called the famed tent city is lost on me.  We were at Fitz, watching Turkey Pointers cross our picket line.

stownsend

« Reply #41 on: Apr 24, 2012, 02:49 »
Does anyone out there remember Allied Nuclear?
Worked for them at Brown's Ferry 82. How about ATBI of Barnwell at Arkansas 85.That job sucked. I remember me, Bill Mahony, Joe Guido, Rick Dorety,Grandma Nuke,  Joann Thaer all got our 5 to 15 cent raises and we all made reservations to Mexico . They were surprised when we clocked out.Good times.
« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2012, 03:00 by stownsend »

Offline rcr26

• Very Lite User
« Reply #42 on: Apr 24, 2012, 07:38 »
How many of you old timers still have your Numanco belt buckle?

Offline Old HP

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #43 on: Apr 24, 2012, 11:20 »
Better yet how many of you old timers made money with NSS stock ?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #44 on: Apr 25, 2012, 08:59 »
How many of you old timers still have your Numanco belt buckle?

I think I have mine somewhere... mint condition, never worn.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:03 »
CleanCo was there in the '70's also.  Pete Krepps was one of the Site Coordinators in the early '80's for Numanco.

Pete was a supervisor there in '78. Mel Hensch was the site coordinator during that outage.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #46 on: Apr 25, 2012, 09:42 »
Pete Krepps? Haven't heard that name since 79-80...wow...brought back a wave of memories...

Chimera

« Reply #47 on: Apr 25, 2012, 11:47 »
Pete was a supervisor there in '78. Mel Hensch was the site coordinator during that outage.

When I was there in 1981, Mel had moved on to Pilgrim and Pete was running the show for NUMANCO.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Apr 25, 2012, 12:03 »
When I was there in 1981, Mel had moved on to Pilgrim and Pete was running the show for NUMANCO.

Mel went on to Pilgrim at the end of the spring outage in 78 and stayed there for a while. The only time I saw Pete again was when he dropped in to visit me in Maryland a couple of years later.

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?