Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu B&W PWR

Author Topic: B&W PWR  (Read 9963 times)

wlrun3@aol.com

B&W PWR
« on: Apr 04, 2012, 12:10 »

What is the difference between a raised loop, Davis-Besse, and a lowered loop, Arkansas Unit 1, B&W PWR?
These are the descriptions provided on the NRC website.

thenuttyneutron

Re: B&W PWR
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2012, 04:56 »
Raised loop means the bottom of the SG is at about the same level as the reactor.  This makes the thermal center higher.  In the lowered loop design, the SG sits lower relative to the reactor than the raised loop design.  The thermal center is not as high in the lowered loop plant.

The benefit of a raised loop is with natural circulation in the event that you lose forced flow.
« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2012, 04:58 by Nutty Neutron »

wlrun3@aol.com

« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2012, 06:50 »

Is the raised loop B&W PWR the more advanced of the two in the B&W product line?

« Last Edit: Apr 04, 2012, 06:53 by wlrun3 »

Fermi2

« Reply #3 on: Apr 04, 2012, 07:30 »
Yes it is. In fact Bellefonte is a raised loop design.

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2012, 09:24 »
Raised loop means the bottom of the SG is at about the same level as the reactor.  This makes the thermal center higher.  In the lowered loop design, the SG sits lower relative to the reactor than the raised loop design.  The thermal center is not as high in the lowered loop plant.

The benefit of a raised loop is with natural circulation in the event that you lose forced flow.

The lower loop design still develops natural circulation.  But the raised loop is more conducive to NC.

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2012, 10:25 »
Was all of this a natural progression in engineering or was it part of (made my career) TMI mods?

Fermi2

« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2012, 11:40 »
Natural Progression. DB was in service when TMI happened, in fact DB had a TMI type event before TMI did.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2012, 01:04 »
Natural Progression. DB was in service when TMI happened, in fact DB had a TMI type event before TMI did.
so did oconee.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Frankie Love

• Very Heavy User
  • You don't miss the water...until the well runs dry
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2012, 01:39 »

Interesting...since my career began the September following TMI, I thought I would have heard of the DB and Oconee incidents. I'll check Wiki but is there other methods of interesting research or reading?

Thanks. Learn something new everyday still holds true.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Apr 05, 2012, 01:42 »
Interesting...since my career began the September following TMI, I thought I would have heard of the DB and Oconee incidents. I'll check Wiki but is there other methods of interesting research or reading?

Thanks. Learn something new everyday still holds true.

Yeah had the industry communicated its lessons learned back then, TMI could have been prevented, or at least handled correctly based on what happened a few months earlier at DB.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2012, 08:56 »
B+W ECCS department had actually compiled a great synopsis on the DB event, including some recommendations that appeared in various forms in virtually all PWR EOPs, but it was sitting in B+W customer service as they wanted to ensure it didn't commit B+W to anything and so it would be worded as a  "Hey we're doing this as a service to our customer and not sitting hard and fast recommendations for which we may later be held accountable for" sort of thing.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?