Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu future navy nuke

Author Topic: future navy nuke  (Read 21349 times)

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: future navy nuke
« Reply #25 on: Apr 13, 2012, 09:23 »
[2cents] IMHO, these teenagers who are looking for information on their future aren't searching, but they will have LPO's, Instructors or Shift managers and training department personnel to shape their nuclear character. It's not our job nor needed at all to jump on everyone of these guys. They'll learn. I think we could use a little less of unhelpful posts. Older guys should be fair game...
 [2cents]

I agree. Coddle them here because that is what they are used to and let them get it full in the face when they get to the semi-real world of the USN.  ::)

(OK, I lied. I don't agree.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

drayer54

« Reply #26 on: Apr 13, 2012, 09:59 »
I agree. Coddle them here because that is what they are used to and let them get it full in the face when they get to the semi-real world of the USN.  ::)

(OK, I lied. I don't agree.)
As far as operational standards and consequences go, the commercial nuclear industry is the real world.

However, the amount of individual scrutiny and all around "taking shit" would be most experienced in what can be a slightly less than professional navy environment. At least on a personal level and in a developmental way. Control room scrutiny is intense yes, but by then it is not new.

A teenager out of high school who googled his way here is not a salty sailor/hp/op/security guy who should know better.
There are better ways to guide these guys than jumping on them with the same old scrutiny.

Also, the idea of the forum is to help people. You can search on an informational site and pull up research. The forum is designed to mix seasoned veterans with motivated newcomers to discuss career goals, industry events, advice, outages for the roadies, and general topics for those of similar backgrounds. At least that's my take. Some things have been beaten to death and can be found already, which is why I am a huge fan of merging all of the similar topics into one threads and highlighting the really good ones at the top of the category.

This site was tremendously beneficial to me in my transition from the Navy to commercial ops. I would like to see it do the same for others. I think it gets lost on some of the salty dogs in here that some of these guys are fresh out of high school and really don't know better. These guys who are Navy bound will get it in the face soon enough. I have no excuses for the guys who should know better.

I just think there has to be a better way to redirect people than the less than pleasant crap that I have seen flooding the threads lately.
« Last Edit: Apr 13, 2012, 10:01 by Drayer »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #27 on: Apr 13, 2012, 10:38 »
There is nothing unpleasant about
Proper capitalization and use of the search function would be a good start.

It is a realistic request. Is it not mean, discourteous, rude or even challenging. It is also very true.

I guarantee that the typical teenager that is intelligent enough to graduate high school and get into the nuclear Navy is perfectly capable of using a search function (particularly one who 'googled his way here.') I am not as confident about recent graduates bring able to master the spelling and punctuation part but it helps to know how to do that. It is particularly helpful to have that skill if you plan to leave the Navy later and enter the commercial world.

There certainly have been a few cases where initial 'Learn how to search' responses have been less than courteous. This thread is not one of them. Not telling people that searching, spelling, punctuating and generally being able to communicate above a third grade level is important just to save their feelings from the crushing blow of being corrected does not do anyone any good. If they can't take some direct coaching they do not belong in the Navy and they will never survive in the commercial nuclear world.

I admit that this is not the proper time to start teaching that lesson. It should have been part of the learning process all through school, but unfortunately that is no longer being taught in favor of the 'unique snowflake' school of thought. So the time to start is 'As soon as you can.' Like -- now.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline ohio7

• Very Lite User
« Reply #28 on: Apr 13, 2012, 12:50 »
Thank all of you for your responses,

my question is, Is there any classes I should take/things to study in the 9 months before I leave for recruit training?

Broadzilla's 2 criteria stated earlier are ones you should remember.  With only 3 clicks of the mouse (from the forum homepage - 4 clicks from nukeworker.com) I was at a post where 7 more links to info on how to prepare/what to study for the nuclear pipeline are listed.  I didn't even use the search feature.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17568.0.html#msg98984

Is this what you are talking about? The funny thing is I found this through google.

If you have to study regardless, go memorize the entirity of the Applied Engineering Principles handbook. You'll basically be doing that as part of your training anyway. Luckily, you get 2 months of boot camp to forget everything you might get out of that.

I pulled up a PDF of the Applied Engineering Principles Handbook and was about to hit print...

Offline cheme09

• Moderate User
« Reply #29 on: Apr 13, 2012, 01:56 »
Is this what you are talking about? The funny thing is I found this through google.

That's the post.  Google can be a very useful tool, but I always find it best to get to know how to use all of the tools at your disposal. Like I said, you can arrive at that post with just 4 clicks from www.nukeworker.com

It's my belief that the best way to learn is to do.  This forum is full of good information about the nuclear navy, ops, hp, schools, etc; if you decide to stay in the nuclear industry it can be a useful research tool.  So take some time to poke around avoiding the use of the search feature and get to learn about what this forum has to offer.

Best of luck to you in your future.

Offline patrickodang

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: Apr 17, 2012, 01:03 »
Awesome man, I enlisted a few weeks ago too, ship date is Jan 8, 2013 -.- seems so far away. From what I've read, you don't need to have prior knowledge before you go. I'm sure it will help though. And I am going for subs. I think sub vs carrier depends on how you like to live. City vs small town.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?