Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Leaving from Guam

Author Topic: Leaving from Guam  (Read 9195 times)

Offline 1000rr

• Lurker
Leaving from Guam
« on: Apr 15, 2012, 01:18 »
Hello everyone,
I am going to be getting out of the navy in summer 2013. 6 and out, sir, no ews. My concern is that I will be in Guam, making my search for a NLO position more difficult. It seems that since I will be in Guam with a 90% op tempo I'm at a huge disadvantage for my job search. My question is, am I worried for no reason. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cbr

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Leaving from Guam
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2012, 10:19 »
Thank you for your service.

If you do not already have it save up six months of living expenses.

Spend an afternoon when you're not busy reading through the threads and forums below, take a few notes and PM the users who most resemble where you want to be in five years for input on how to get there.

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,34571.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/board,68.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9266.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4395.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,33141.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,17691.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,3925.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,9339.0.html

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5464.0.html

That is far from an all inclusive listing of good threads for your research, it should be enough to help you refine your own searches towards where you want to be.

Do not preclude the notion that a less desirable locale may be a better place to get in, develop and hone your skills, and then move on to that desirable location later on when you have something more valuable to offer,...

Good luck,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Frank Cable

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2012, 12:24 »
I don't know what an "op tempo" is, but if you're asking if physically being in Guam will hurt your chances for employment I would say yes.  A couple weeks ago I watched a resume get tossed due to a Guam address.

Offline Rod Puller

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 17, 2012, 04:08 »
You wouldn't consider reenlisting for orders to prototype?  It's a lot of money for just a few additional years in the Navy.  I was considering going 6 and out myself but based my boat's op tempo (78% during the 3 1/2 years I was aboard) I didn't think it would be realistic for me to find the job I really wanted in the time frame I was afforded.  Instead I reenlisted and went to prototype in SC.  While there I qualified EWS, EOOW, ACRS, and MTS on top of getting my BS from TESC and LASIK on the Navy's dime.  Prototype was a great experience for me and was well worth the additional few years I spent in the Navy since they were (by far) the most productive years I had from a resume-building standpoint.  I had actually changed my mind and decided to stay in based upon my experiences there until the Navy told me I couldn't take my family with me to Guam.

In any case, evaluate what sacrifices you are willing to make.  The previous posters are spot on about the difficulties associated with transitioning out of the Navy from an overseas command.  Even if you get your finances in order there is still going to be a tremendous amount of risk associated with leaving a job without a guarantee of another one.  I'd say that as long as the industry stays where it is currently at and you aren't too picky about where you work or what you are doing there you won't have any issues finding yourself gainfully employed at some point after you get out.  For me, I wouldn't want that level of stress especially in light of what you stand to gain by staying in just a bit longer.  Thanks for your service!

HalfHazzard

« Reply #4 on: Apr 17, 2012, 06:57 »
It seems that since I will be in Guam with a 90% op tempo I'm at a huge disadvantage for my job search.

Bingo.  A fantastic shore duty that gives you all the time in the world to find a job when you get out isn't a guarantee, but you know that just about any shore duty should give you a better chance at the search than being underway with a Guam boat's op tempo. 

Advice for you:  Find the answers to these questions.

What does your detailer say is available for shore duty? 
What does your Chief/EDMC think?  They should be helping you through this process regardless of your longterm career intentions.

drayer54

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2012, 07:03 »
You wouldn't consider reenlisting for orders to prototype?  It's a lot of money for just a few additional years in the Navy.  I was considering going 6 and out myself but based my boat's op tempo (78% during the 3 1/2 years I was aboard) I didn't think it would be realistic for me to find the job I really wanted in the time frame I was afforded.  Instead I reenlisted and went to prototype in SC.  While there I qualified EWS, EOOW, ACRS, and MTS on top of getting my BS from TESC and LASIK on the Navy's dime.  Prototype was a great experience for me and was well worth the additional few years I spent in the Navy since they were (by far) the most productive years I had from a resume-building standpoint.  I had actually changed my mind and decided to stay in based upon my experiences there until the Navy told me I couldn't take my family with me to Guam.

In any case, evaluate what sacrifices you are willing to make.  The previous posters are spot on about the difficulties associated with transitioning out of the Navy from an overseas command.  Even if you get your finances in order there is still going to be a tremendous amount of risk associated with leaving a job without a guarantee of another one.  I'd say that as long as the industry stays where it is currently at and you aren't too picky about where you work or what you are doing there you won't have any issues finding yourself gainfully employed at some point after you get out.  For me, I wouldn't want that level of stress especially in light of what you stand to gain by staying in just a bit longer.  Thanks for your service!

OR

www.indeed.com then enter "nuclear operator" or "Health physics"  or go to www.power4vets.com OR www.usajobs.gov and look at your options with the government. I've heard a rumor that this site even has a jobs tab somewhere....

The choice is yours!

Search to your hearts desire!
Good luck to you!

Offline bnc1659

• Lurker
« Reply #6 on: Aug 19, 2012, 02:49 »
Hello everyone,
I am going to be getting out of the navy in summer 2013. 6 and out, sir, no ews. My concern is that I will be in Guam, making my search for a NLO position more difficult. It seems that since I will be in Guam with a 90% op tempo I'm at a huge disadvantage for my job search. My question is, am I worried for no reason. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Cbr
)
I'm in the same boat as you except I just got out from Guam. Yeah the op tempo can be pretty crazy and leave you with little to no time to prepare for life outside the navy. Re-enlisting is an option but the detailers I talked to said I'd have to stay in guam for an extra year before going to a shore duty. (5 years on a guam boat is too much)

I got back from an underway and had 2 weeks to process and get moved out of Guam. Flew back to the states, got my DD-214 (discharge certificate) and bam before I knew it I was out of the navy and had no plans for getting a job. I cant stress how important what the poster below you said, save as much money as you can (it shouldn't be too hard with that kind of op tempo). Ill let you know how things go in my job hunt. But while youre in, keep saving!
« Last Edit: Aug 19, 2012, 02:50 by bnc1659 »

Offline tucker0104

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29, 2013, 10:04 »
Good luck.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?