Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Any Chem Techs out there?
honeypot

Author Topic: Any Chem Techs out there?  (Read 4553 times)

Offline bach13

• Lurker
Any Chem Techs out there?
« on: Apr 27, 2012, 11:17 »
Hello all,

I am new to the nuclear plant world and just trying to understand the environment a bit more. I am being recruited for a chem tech position with Exelon. I just took the TECH test, and I am waiting to hear back how I did. Anyways, I wanted to know what to expect in terms of shift work, overtime, and what my responsibilities would be in the event of an outage. I am currently in a 9-5 salary job, so I know it will be quite an adjustment for me. But I'm guessing the bump in pay and opportunities for advancement would be really rewarding.

Offline tolstoy

• Moderate User
Re: Any Chem Techs out there?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 27, 2012, 04:46 »
Good job with decent benefits. Likely to have plenty of hours during outages depending on the site you are working at. All cookie-cutter chemistry. Absolutely no interest in insight, modification, or experimental chemistry. Depending on the site you could wallow around at the bottom of the seniority list for a very long time. There are a lot worse ways to earn a paycheck.

Offline Papa Nuc

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Apr 27, 2012, 06:43 »
Take it.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 28, 2012, 05:18 »
find out about "rotating shift work".  You might be required to do it.  If you have never done it before, you should give it a try if it is required.  Some people love it some hate it.  I hated it because it required me to switch from days to nights or nights to days twice a month, or more.  I felt groggy and sleep deprived for much of my life constantly changing shifts when I was on this.  Many places do it different ways.  Some have chem techs on days and a few are on rotating shift.  Some have their own rotation.  Some places bid on non-rotating shifts which change each quarter.  Like I said some people love it so you should probably give it a chance.

Offline bach13

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Apr 28, 2012, 11:36 »
Thanks for all the responses. I guess I am a little nervous about the rotating shiftwork, but I am not sure yet how they do it. I'll just have to see if I get an interview and find out how often they rotate. I don't know how well I'll deal with it...I guess you can never know until you try it which is a little scary.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?