Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I am amazed by the ignorance of people

Author Topic: I am amazed by the ignorance of people  (Read 26261 times)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: I am amazed by the ignorance of people
« Reply #25 on: Mar 04, 2012, 05:59 »
Shoot, you guys have it easy. I work in Vermont, and live in western Mass, near Northampton and Amherst. When the fruits start anti-nuking me, I ask what they do. Then I generally get to state " I no longer argue technology with Art History majors, it hurts my head" and walk away.   ;) [whistle] [dowave]

But really, even here, I have found most people are open to at least discussing it, and as long as I am patient and knowledgeable, I find that at worst, we agree to disagree. Like BZ, I represent my employer wherever I am, and being obnoxious does nothing beneficial to our operation.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2012, 06:14 »
......Like BZ, I represent my employer wherever I am, and being obnoxious does nothing beneficial to our operation.

that is the best attitude to take away from all the answers to the OP,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2012, 06:36 »
Shoot, you guys have it easy. I work in Vermont, and live in western Mass, near Northampton and Amherst. When the fruits start anti-nuking me, I ask what they do. Then I generally get to state " I no longer argue technology with Art History majors, it hurts my head" and walk away.   ;) [whistle] [dowave]

But really, even here, I have found most people are open to at least discussing it, and as long as I am patient and knowledgeable, I find that at worst, we agree to disagree. Like BZ, I represent my employer wherever I am, and being obnoxious does nothing beneficial to our operation.

I did one outage at VY in the late 70s and was shocked at the number old hippies living in the area, not a nuclear friendly crowd. I was told that talking to many of the locals was not a worthwhile effort, this was in the publicity shy phase of nuclear power when law suits for being stung by an ionized bee were settled rather than go public in court. Perhaps if there was a more aggressive public information effort early there would be a more positive view of nuclear power and realistic understanding of radiation.  [pigfly]

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #28 on: Mar 06, 2012, 01:15 »
When asked what I do for a living, I usually responde with "as little as possible and still get paid."  Most often, that's enough of a joke to let go of occupations and move onto other, more fun type topics.  When I get pressed further, I'll inhale deeply and exhale.  Then I'll tell them I work in Health Physics which, in layman's terms, is Radiation Safety.  That will take out another 20% or so.  After that, it's free form discussion until my patience gets tried.  Then I'll let them in on the hormesis theory and how cave men evolved faster than plains dwellers due to the extra radiation they received as a result of their receipt from the 360 degree NORM geometry during mating activities.  That usually ends the discussion.   ;D
« Last Edit: Mar 06, 2012, 01:31 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline spikeree

• Light User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 02:14 »
After > twenty years in this field, I lie! i tell them i pump the turds out of porta-jons.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2012, 03:22 »
Why not?  It pays better.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

stownsend

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2012, 03:37 »
After > twenty years in this field, I lie! i tell them i pump the turds out of porta-jons.
If you work at Pilgrim you would be telling the truth. How many marinelli's does it take to release the porta john swill?

Offline Wojo

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2012, 03:58 »
Steve,

It depended on who you knew.  The number changed daily depending on who had the desk

Wojo
Lost my boots in transit, pile of smokin leather, nailed the retreads to my feet and prayed for better weather - J Garcia

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?