Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Question on how to focus my resume

Author Topic: Question on how to focus my resume  (Read 8763 times)

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
Question on how to focus my resume
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:43 »
Maybe this has been answered before but I couldn't find any recent posts when I searched for Resumes.

Anyways, I am an MM with ~ 11 years experience, qualified EWS/ LPO at Sea/ BS in NET from Excelsior. I am looking to go in as an NLO when I get out in about 9 months and I am working on my resume. I don't want to go direct SRO because of the advice I see from a lot of people on here (get the experience in commercial plants before going to SRO). My question is how I should focus my resume. I have been qualified EWS for almost seven years now and I have been playing the role as supervisor for a majority of that. So when I write my resume is it going to look less attractive if I'm writing "Supervised operations outside control room" etc, vice "operated plant equipment outside the control room" etc?

Thanks for any advice,
Josh

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
Re: Question on how to focus my resume
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 03:45 »
To add something else, the reason why I'm bringing this up is because I really haven't been operating since ~2007, just been supervising.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 04:14 »
Don't sell yourself short, go for SRO if you have the opportunity. Even if you don't, you might get asked anyway. :)

This is a tough one though, that I'll have to give some thought. Normally I see guys focus on their highest qual and work down from there. Like you said, they are going to be supervisor. But, I doubt that it would make a difference. I'd probably just stick with that plan. Start with your highest, most recent qual and go back from there. Don't forget your degree.

When you have a draft, feel free to PM me and I'll give it a perusal for some other recommendations.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline DDMurray

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:19 »
Network - find somebody that's done what you want and use their resume as a foundation.  Look at job descriptions for SRO and AUO and use the same terminology where possible.

Get your resume on one page.  If you state something, have proof.  I've seen recent job postings that state that copies of fitreps/evals/DD-214 may be required.  The DD-214 will be required - make sure it is 100% accurate.

I applaud you for wanting to qualify as a NLO first, but I suggest you think hard about turning down an opportunity for SRO if it comes up. Instant SRO is not easy.  For me, the job offers for Instant SRO candidate were significantly higher than for NLO candidate.   In my SRO class, two of our best students who have done very well on shift were around the same experience level as you.
The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
T. Roosevelt

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:23 »
I always advocate starting out as an NLO first, but if offered SRO I would take it. Keep in mind if you do not make it through the SRO training many companies are booting people.

Offline DontGoToNPTU

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:51 »
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I think I might have to consider an SRO position if the opportunity is there but not really my preferred route. I showed up at NPTU and was placed in the MARF prototype initial EWS quals. I got through quals just fine but it felt really out of place and it took me a while to get to where I didn't feel awkward supervising someone who's been operating the plant for three years where as I had been qualified a month. Luckily I had a lot of people who were willing to teach me about the ins and outs of the abomination that is MARF.

Another resume question. Before I came to NPTU, I was on the Emory S. Land (sub tender) for about 9 months. I literally didn't do anything to further my professional career because I really didn't have any time there. Should I just exclude that part from my resume (in order to make it shorter) and just explain to any potential employers why there is a gap in employment history?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 09:04 »
I'd leave it off the resume, but remember to put it on the personal history questionaire for any background investigation you go through.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12 »
Don't sell yourself short, go for SRO if you have the opportunity. Even if you don't, you might get asked anyway. :)...

I always advocate starting out as an NLO first, but if offered SRO I would take it. Keep in mind if you do not make it through the SRO training many companies are booting people.

Pride or groceries, it comes down to that sometimes,...

That's a bigger decision than it might appear at first glance,...

I wonder if the OP is married with kids, if you drop out of an SRO program and do get booted is that prejudicial to starting as an NLO (or the equivalent) with another utility?

(sic)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:02 »
Pride or groceries, it comes down to that sometimes,...

That's a bigger decision than it might appear at first glance,...

I wonder if the OP is married with kids, if you drop out of an SRO program and do get booted is that prejudicial to starting as an NLO (or the equivalent) with another utility?

(sic)

I'm not sure about that, Mike would know better. But Mike is right, a few years ago a guy dropped from SRO might have been rolled into an NLO class, but these days, if he has no other industry experience except Navy, he is likely to be shown the door. So I agree, before just jumping on direct SRO, he must decide if he has the dedication and ability to complete an SRO class.

Justin
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 11:09 by Higgs »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 12:23 »
I'm not sure about that, Mike would know better. But Mike is right, a few years ago a guy dropped from SRO might have been rolled into an NLO class, but these days, if he has no other industry experience except Navy, he is likely to be shown the door. So I agree, before just jumping on direct SRO, he must decide if he has the dedication and ability to complete an SRO class.

Justin

I find that perceptive from the notion of getting out of the USN to spend more time with your family only to jump into the intensity of SRO quals.

At some future point it must be well worth it, yet it still carries even more sacrifice from a family too accustomed to sacrificing.

It deserves due consideration.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 04:54 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Fermi2

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 04:24 »
I am not certain how it would affect being able to get into an NLO class elsewhere. What I do know is many utilities stance is we hired you in to be an SRO, if you can't, then you're out. Most cannot simply roll an SRO back into an NLO class simply because it is an interviewed, bid, and Union position and the timing rarely works out.

Also, true statement, do not get out of the Navy, then hire into an SRO class believing you'll get more time with your family.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?