Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Eli Crosby

Author Topic: Eli Crosby  (Read 22935 times)

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
Eli Crosby
« on: May 15, 2012, 07:25 »
Eli Crosby passed away yesterday, May 14, 2012.  Eli interviewed me for my first position in the industry, and we have worked alongside each other many times.  I will miss him greatly.

Eli H. Crosby, Jr., 67, of North Apollo, passed away on Monday, May 14, 2012 at Alle-Kiski Medical Center, Natrona Heights. Born September 18, 1944 in Natrona Heights, he was the son of the late Eli H. Crosby, Sr. and Betty (Bodnar) Crosby. Eli lived in North Apollo since the early 70's, and was a 1962 graduate of Apollo High School. He was a member of Pleasant View Brethren Church, Vandergrift. Eli worked several positions in the nuclear industry. He started in the Radiation Protection Division at NUMEC from 1968-72, and with friends, started Rad Services in Monroeville, where he worked until the early 80's. He and a group of friends then started General Technical Services in Murrysville, where he worked for several years, before last working in the Radiation Protection Division of Bartlett Nuclear, Plymouth, MA. Eli was a disc jockey for www.allrequestradio4u.com, well known for his opening song- Eli's Coming by Three Dog Night. He enjoyed spending time with his grandchildren. In addition to his parents, Eli was preceded in death by his wife: Roberta “Beeb” (Held) Crosby, who passed away on February 5, 2010. He is survived by his son: Eli H. “Duke” (Jana) Crosby, III of Baden, grandsons: Robert Anthony Crosby and Nicholas Eli Crosby, both of Rural Valley, stepfather: John Bodnar of Kiski Township, sisters: Bonnie (David) Schrecengost of Apollo and Bobbie Lou Maldonado of Apollo, brother: William “Bill” (Brenda) Crosby of Lititz, PA sister in laws: Vicki Held of North Apollo, Shirley (Ed) Dezich of Hollidaysburg, PA, nieces and nephews, his special caregiver: Lisa Steadman, his beloved poodle: Ruby Dooby Doo, and his beloved cat: Jiggs. Friends will be received on Thursday, May 17, 2012 from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Curran-Shaffer Funeral Home and Crematory, Inc., 100 Owens View Ave., Apollo, Pa. Services will be held Friday, May 18, 2012 at 10:00 a.m. at the funeral home with Reverend Todd Ruggles officiating. Memorial Contributions may be made in Eli's memory to Operation Homefront, 8930 Fourwinds Drive, Suite 340, San Antonio, Texas 78239.

Correction made, thanks for the phraseology.  Eli did work at Beaver Valley, among other plants (TMI Recovery comes to mind).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:46 by peteshonkwiler »
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Eli Crosby
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 07:42 »
Thank you for letting us know,...

Eli will be missed,...

( your welcome, for the phraseology that is  :) )
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:19 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 07:43 »
Just verifying facts....Was Eli a First Energy employee? Did outages at Besse and Perry and was employed at Beaver, I believe?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 08:03 »
Wow.

I met Eli in 1976 when he was 'The Man' from Rad Services. There are many stories about him I will fondly remember (but cannot repeat here.) He represented some of the best parts of a bygone industry which never would have been the way it was without him.

RIP brother Eli. Or maybe I should just say 'Bru.'
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23 »
RIP my Friend....

Eli was a great guy, truly one of the best you will ever meet in this business.  I am greatly saddened by this news.  I  remember working for him at Palisades and BV...those were some great times. 

Barry

randyman56

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35 »
This truly a sad day for us that knew Eli.  I can honestly say that it has been a pleasure having him as my friend and co-worker.  DFR my friend DFR

Offline RRhoads

• Heavy User
  • it was like like that when i got here!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 11:23 »
 :(
Very sad day.
Rest easy Big E.
Sorry little E.
Have many great memories of your Dad.

lee oswald

Offline Polock47

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 11:39 »
God Speed My Friend!

May God Grant You Happiness For Eternity

Offline JoeDeb

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2012, 12:00 »
Eli Crosby passed away yesterday, May 14, 2012.  Arrangements are not complete at this time.  
Eli interviewed me for my first position in the industry, and we have worked alongside each other many times.  I will miss him greatly.

Correction made, thanks for the phraseology.  Eli did work at Beaver Valley, among other plants (TMI Recovery comes to mind) but was not a First Energy employee.  Eli Crosby who works at Beaver Valley and is a First Energy employee is Eli III, this was Eli Jr.  I didn't put that in the first edition as it could get confusing to those who knew the lineage, let alone others.

Offline JoeDeb

• Lurker
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 12:06 »
I remember Eli from the "old" days with Rad Services.  He always treated me with respect.  I have worked with his son, Eli, at various FENOC outages and have been treated the same by him.  Eli III, I'm sorry for your loss; let me know if there's anything I can do...

Joe Schumacher

Offline ctwetan

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 12:11 »
I remember working for and with Eli Jr. - although it was a while ago I can remember many jokes and good times, may he rest in peace.
Eli III I am so sorry for your loss

Carol Ann (Baer) Twetan

blackballedsnake

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 07:51 »
Eli Crosby will be TRULY missed by MANY in "'da biz"...My father (Terence) is an old friend and co-worker of Eli's. They both worked at NUMEC in Parks TWP. and Apollo. After that, they started out (road techin') with RAD Services, Chem-Nuclear, NSS/Numanco, BNI, etc., etc. (the list goes on and on) Eli has known me since I was a little boy. (since the early 1970's) My deepest sympathies go out to Dukie ("E" III), and the rest of "E" II's family. A VERY sad day indeed.  :'( Are there any afternoon viewings? Or is it just evenings only? - Michael "Snake" Shaffer.   (Son of Terence J. Shaffer)

Offline stirfry

• Moderate User
  • It's an O.K. World
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2012, 11:54 »
It is truly a sad time.  We have a new patron saint to look over us from above. my condolences to little E and his family. May you find strength in knowing that your father was a good and fair man. If I could I would make it up for the services. I will never forget the time we all had a convoy from the Skidway to the Vets with me in the lead in the Hearse. When the cops stopped traffic for us because everyone behind me had turned on their headlights Big E was laughing so hard he almost fell out of the car.

God speed.

Finni.
YA gotta be SOMEWHERE

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 01:06 »
Too many memories of good times spent together!  Like RDT says there are many stories that can not be shared (at least on an open forum)!

Little "E" and all family members, sorry for your loss, (we share in that) our prayers are with you.

Terry
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2012, 02:41 »
RIP

Eli is the only reason I would rank Beaver 0/10 and not -9,999/10.  Great Guy
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Offline heavydose

• Light User
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2012, 01:11 »
Eli, will be greatly missed, my prayers go out to the Crosby family, the people and Rad workers from Apollo area. I worked with him in several jobs in the early eighty's and I am a Proud brother of the Rad Services techs we were the best and we had fun doing it. May the light guide him and his family, brothers and sisters of the radiological world, to one day meet again in Heaven.

From, Joe DiGiulian
You will be in my prayers!

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2012, 01:19 »
I have many, many fond memories of The Big E from my Rad Services days. I will miss him. RIP my friend.

My thoughts and prayers are with you Little E and the rest of your family.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 04:47 »
 [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute]  [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute] [salute]
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline 5kip6

• Light User
  • All's great!
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2012, 08:16 »
I worked with Eli as his administrative assistant for many years at Beaver Valley!  He was one of the most caring and giving Site Coordinators you could ever have.   He taught me so much,  I am so grateful for him.   I always remember him saying,  " I am here for the best interest in the Technicians"    He knew what is was like for us to be on the road and away from our families.  So he did everything he could to make our stay as pleasant as possible.  So many good  and funny memories of him during these outages. He was a trip.  May favorite story he told was about the individual that sat on the bucket. He would tell this story every outage season during inprocessing.  Everyone would get a good laugh.     He will missed!   "God Bless you and RIP my dear friend"     So sorry for your loss Eli.  My deepest sympathy goes out to you and your family.   

Deb Carlin
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:02 by 5kip6 »

justatech

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2012, 08:47 »
R.I.P. Eli ~ The Father of us Road Techs; I truly thank you for accepting me into the fold at Beaver Valley January 2000 as a Jr. Tech ~ you changed my life for the better and I will never forget you. God Bless you!!I think you helped the majority of us get into the business from Pennsylvania.

The biggest booming voice on site with the largest cuddly heart for all of us ~ you told the best stories, I think they’re called fables ~ that would leave us in stitches!! We were your bratty road techs and you loved us all; just as we loved you!! I’m sure they’ll have Reese’s Peanut Butter cups in Heaven for you.

Little E, my heart goes out to you and your family…..Eli truly was a shining star who will be missed by many of us.

Cyndi Martin

blackballedsnake

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 06:38 »
Eli's viewing: Many of the "old school roadies", and NUMEC "alumni"  ;) came to pay their respects to "Big E". My dad (Terry) was happy to see some "old faces"...but wished (like the rest of us) that it was under different circumstances. RIP Eli...we will see you again...when the time comes. - Snake.

Offline radmax

• Light User
  • I love NukeWorker.com!
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2012, 10:03 »
Little E, my sincerest condolances to you and yours... He was a great rad worker and a nice man.
Prayers to all.
Rick Urban
It's just too damn'd early in the morning to be this damn'd early in the morning!

Offline DJ@Retired

• Moderate User
  • Just Win Baby! Well Maybe Next Year!
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 01:55 »
So Sorry to here this. Eli was great to work with & I always glad to see him on a job. Rest in peace my friend.
A good friend will bail you out of jail. A great friend will be sitting next to you saying "Dam, that was Fun"

tera_rogue

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2012, 10:00 »
Rest in Peace Eli, for sure you were a star in our world while you were walking with us and now you shine over us with the very best of memories.
Cathleen (Campbell) Pilutti

Offline djrichards

• Very Lite User
« Reply #24 on: Jun 08, 2012, 03:39 »
So very sorry to hear about our buddy Eli's passing. He was one of the nuclear legends I've known and he always dealt with us with honesty and respect. I can't recall anyone who didn't like Eli.

I first met him at Peach Bottom after leaving the shipyard in 1976. Like Roger, I have many fond memories of him but won't share them all here.

I also see a couple of names of other old friends here who also conjure up some really fond memories. I hope life is treating you well.

Regards,

DJ Richards

Offline radglo

• Light User
« Reply #25 on: Jun 11, 2012, 01:38 »
It saddens us to hear of Eli's passing. There are so many wonderful things to say about Eli. Kindness, honest, task tenacity, but the best was his way of dealing with people. Always with respect and dignity. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Duke and his family.

Dusty and Tammie Darby

ISOCS

« Reply #26 on: Jun 13, 2012, 01:13 »
I'm really sorry to hear about Eli's passing. In the early Rad Services days (early 80's) he came to the Duke sites from Pittsburgh and that's how I got to know him.

Wolfen

« Reply #27 on: Aug 14, 2012, 09:18 »
I've known Eli since I was a kid.  He saved me (as so many others) from the Steel Mills and Foundries of the Kiski Valley in W. PA. in the mid-70s by sending me (and so many others) to Peach Bottom.  We lost a life long friend.  Wherever you are, save me a spot, Bro!

Dick

Kokokel

« Reply #28 on: Aug 17, 2012, 06:04 »
 So sorry to hear of Eli passing.  I worked for him for many years.  I respected him as the co-ordinator @ Beaver Valley & liked him as a person.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?