Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Contract Negotiations  

Author Topic: Contract Negotiations  (Read 27330 times)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
Re: Contract Negotiations
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 10:49 »
What are they thinking? As a resident of Massachusetts I think this is a terrible time to be quibbling over contracts and sending workers home. The state and local towns are trying to fight Pilgrims renewal left and right and the WORST thing management there could do is appear to put profits over safety (I am not saying this is what they are doing I am saying the anti's and FUDites will try to spin it this way)

A house divided is a bad thing at such an important time.

Fermi2

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 05:46 »
Sorry,

That is a two way street...

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 11:44 »
I am just speaking as a local resident. I don't doubt that the plant employees deserve better benefits and more money. What I am afraid of is the kooks using this to spread more FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, and DOUBT about Pilgrim which is VITAL to the energy mix in the area as well as the economy.

I don't mean to say that either side is "wrong" I just wish the timing was different and maybe negotiations could have been postponed until the license is renewed.

What good is a great contract for either side if the plant does not keep operating?

Fermi2

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:57 »
In WW2 during the worst phase of the Battle Of Atlantic British dockyard and shipyard workers went on a 3 week strike....

Offline capgun2

• Light User
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 10:30 »
At 5:20 am a call was put out to return to work. Local 369 is back on the job. The current contract has been extended to May 25th. This will give both sides a chance to get back to the table. The issue is the same as every where else, medical benefits. Local 369 is asking to maintain the current Blue Cross policy.

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 01:09 »
That is GREAT news. I hope management and the workers will be able to negotiate a fair contract and provide a unified front against the "Anties" and "FUDites" who are trying to shutter this important part of the energy mix in New England.

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:41 »
What happens if, after the 25th, Entergy and 369 can't come to an agreement? Also, what happens when the current license runs out on the 8th?
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

Offline nspunx4

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 02:53 »
When the current license runs out the plant will be allowed to continue operating under it's terms because they filed for renewal more than enough time in advance.

As far as labor contracts it is up to the parties involved. They could continue to work under the terms of the old contract while negotiating or there could be a strike or lockout. Usually if they keep working any pay raises would be retro active to the date the old contract expired.

Offline capgun2

• Light User
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 06:22 »
Well here is the latest update, Plant shutdown yesterday during backwash downpower. 12 hour shifts started, no movement on contract and that expires at midnight this friday.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline peteshonkwiler

• Radiological Ergonomist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Banned fromLinkedIn. Now on Twitter @PSloglo
« Reply #11 on: Jun 06, 2012, 04:25 »
A Pilgrim strike won't be the same for me unless I'm shooting pool with Rapid Ray. [whistle]
A REM is a REM is a REM
Yea, though I walk through the boundaries of containment, I shall fear no dose, for my meters are with me.  My counters, air sample filters, and smears, they comfort me.

Offline Hoser

• Not just another..
  • Light User
  • CNS ROCKS !
« Reply #12 on: Jun 07, 2012, 12:39 »
Hmmm...

I'll see that and double your Hmmm.. interesting times mon....

duke99301

« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2012, 04:57 »
I wonder if they will be placing ads for contractors to come to the site. they did for Nine mile.

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #14 on: Jun 11, 2012, 09:10 »
but, unlike NMP - this is a lockout, not a strike. The employees get unemployment and insurance. For as long as it takes...

Fermi2

« Reply #15 on: Jun 11, 2012, 09:26 »
but, unlike NMP - this is a lockout, not a strike. The employees get unemployment and insurance. For as long as it takes...

Maybe, that is not always a given...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #16 on: Jun 11, 2012, 09:35 »
Rep. Markey and cosigners already asked NRC Chair to reply in writing by 6/15 how Pilgrim can carry out operations questioning management proficiency, and how they could carry out the E-Plan. Once the Bald Avenger gets involved, who knows where this will go...

Offline Dave Warren

• Radiological Engineer
  • Very Heavy User
  • Cubs vs. White Sox in the Series this year.
« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2012, 07:27 »
I am just speaking as a local resident. I don't doubt that the plant employees deserve better benefits and more money. What I am afraid of is the kooks using this to spread more FEAR, UNCERTAINTY, and DOUBT about Pilgrim which is VITAL to the energy mix in the area as well as the economy.

I don't mean to say that either side is "wrong" I just wish the timing was different and maybe negotiations could have been postponed until the license is renewed.

What good is a great contract for either side if the plant does not keep operating?

So, if the average salary is $61 an hour, what seems to be the problem?

Entergy said it has proposed further wages increases each year atop an average income that is already more than $122,000.

http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2012/06/labor-issues-continue-at-nuclear-power-plant-in-massachusetts.html
« Last Edit: Jun 12, 2012, 07:29 by Dave Warren »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #18 on: Jun 12, 2012, 08:04 »
So, if the average salary is $61 an hour, what seems to be the problem?

Entergy said it has proposed further wages increases each year atop an average income that is already more than $122,000.

(Income is not necessarily 2080 hours per year, it could be 3400, 3200 etc.). ->GLW

http://www.power-eng.com/articles/2012/06/labor-issues-continue-at-nuclear-power-plant-in-massachusetts.html

this, for starters;

Comparable salary in Youngstown, OH $81,126

http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/costofliving/costofliving.html
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 11:23 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline indoprime

• HP on a stick
  • Moderate User
  • You got two choices..deal with it, or deal with it
« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2012, 08:08 »
http://bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=1061140288

So far it's Union - 2, Utility - 0.  No one's gonna be a real winner as this goes on.

The union guys are getting unemployment (not their $60+ / hr wage), but theyre getting something.

The utility is bleeding money fast b/c they gotta pay the roadtechs (ME) and crafts for being here.  this is slowly turning into a summer outage. w/o the shutdown.

And im slowly losing my mind listening to constant rumors and bitching. 

The thing about negotiations, is that no one really walks away with what they wanted in the first place.

But at least, i'll buy some shares in Apple after a while.    ;)
Excuses are tools of the incompetent which create monuments of nothingness, Those who specialize in their uses seldom achieve anything.

stownsend

« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2012, 08:51 »
I understand they want local #369 to pay 100% cost for insurance. That's F'd up.

Offline Toukonfan

• Very Lite User
« Reply #21 on: Jul 09, 2012, 07:46 »
4 year contract voted for, and ratified yesterday afternoon. 

Contract terms are retroactive back to May 16th.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #22 on: Jul 16, 2012, 11:21 »
...When I hear about people making $122,000 per year demanding more, it just reminds me of why I stopped following baseball in the mid 1990s when there were multiple strikes by players who were making $4,000,000 per year to play a game they enjoy playing, because suddenly $4,000,000 was not enough.

...I've met some great guys in the unions who are easily worth 3-4 or even 5-6 of the other union guys. The most hard-working guys, those with great work ethics and strong personal integrity, are basically carrying 5-6 lazy bums on their backs.....

I'm trying to reconcile your position(s) here,....

Are the "3-4 or even 5-6 guys" worth $366,000 to $732,000, or are the other union guys only worth $40,000 to $20,000 per year?

Now ask yourself would you work at a defined task where the lowest paid earn $20,000 or $122K/yr and the highest 6X that amount based on what they bring to the job and to the company every day?

Because if you're good with that, and your position statement indicates you are, I'm not sure why you are not good with baseball. The disparity in pay is a comparable example, and the players get what they can convince the league and the owners they can bring to the game,....

If I could throw a quality game with a consistent 98 mph fastball and could get the NYY and that behemoth of a fan base they have to subsidize my compensation to the tune of millions I would darn sure do it,...

It's good to know your principles would never let you accept being paid more than $122,000 per year no matter how good you are or how hard you work,...

I'll be sure to emphasize your example to everyone I know,...

Me?!?!?!, I'll take every dollar over $122,000 per year that your principles compel you to decline,...

Tell your wife and kids that my wife and kids said, "Thank You from Disney World!!!!"

:P ;) :) 8)

almost forgot,...(sic)
« Last Edit: Jul 16, 2012, 11:27 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #23 on: Jul 16, 2012, 03:39 »
Unions destroy any incentive to work harder and EARN a promotion, because promotions are automatic, they are buit into contracts, and they cannot be given early, nor can they be withheld for reasons such as lack of qualification or lack of merit.

Apparently you haven't read a contract, lack of qualification is a bona fide justification

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #24 on: Jul 16, 2012, 04:00 »

What exactly did I mean? A man who makes $125,000 per year but works as hard as 6 men who are slackers/bumps on logs (each making $125,000 per year to be bumps on logs) still only makes $125,000 per year... Management is powerless to reward his efficiency, his effort, his adherence to procedures, his results, etc... That would be "fractional bargaining" and result in at least a grievance if not a labor charge being filed with the NLRB

Unions destroy any incentive to work harder and EARN a promotion, because promotions are automatic, they are buit into contracts, and they cannot be given early, nor can they be withheld for reasons such as lack of qualification or lack of merit.

Okay, fair enough sentiment,...that's not what you typed earlier,...

What you typed earlier was people making $122,000 per year and demanding more were no more deserving of more than $122,000 than over paid baseball players,...

you don't get what you deserve, you get what you negotiate,...

that's a look up,... ;)

Apparently you haven't read a contract, lack of qualification is a bona fide justification

that and many others would be true,...

and there is a place in most unions for the worker who is happy at X rate of pay for Y number of hours and no ambition to be more than an X - Y kinda guy,...

and I really don't see a problem with that, the guy puts in a fair days work for a fair days pay,...

as long as there's work to be had it's a fair deal,...

I will grant you one thing is more difficult with a union,...

When you supervise them you have to do your job to get rid of a slacker,...

I could not just walk in and say, "You know what? Joe just ain't measuring up in my estimation, good bye Joe."

Nope, I had to do my job and objectively track, monitor, assign, evaluate, coach and counsel Joe,...

Sometimes when you actually take the time to do all that you realize Joe isn't really a problem, you just don't like him and that colors everything you sense about him,...

In those cases, it's good Joe has the union to keep it all fair,...

Besides, dealing with your union brothers ain't always rainbows and unicorns either,...

And better yet, you do not have to work where there's a union, there are other choices, you just need to prioritize yours,...

8)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?