Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu PVNGS and BSC
honeypot

Author Topic: PVNGS and BSC  (Read 5013 times)

Offline RyanPease

• Very Lite User
PVNGS and BSC
« on: May 17, 2012, 03:00 »
Would getting an AAS in nuclear tech at Bismarck State College be advantageous for prospective employees at PVNGS? I know it is an Excelon sponsored program, but would palo verde see an applicant as a valuable commodity with that AAS? Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:40 by RyanPease »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: PVNGS and BSC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:52 »
That is a bit of a generalization.  So, forgive me for giving a general answer.

Having any degree is better than not having a degree when searching for a job -- all other things being equal.  An AAS in nuclear technology doesn't qualify anyone for any job in the nuclear industry - but enhances the qualifications that you do have.  It gives an edge over someone who has equal levels of experience.  It shows formal training in the field (as well as your ability to successfully complete the program requirements)

If you are aiming at a particular job, the educational and experience points in your favor for one job could be meaningless for another.  If the AAS NT is all you have on your resume, you aren't going to have any advantage over someone with 20 years experience, but it should put you well ahead of the other entry-level candidates.

If I may ask, why are you asking?  Do you already have this degree, or are you considering if it is worth pursuing?
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline RyanPease

• Very Lite User
Re: PVNGS and BSC
« Reply #2 on: Aug 28, 2012, 11:54 »
Sorry for the (extremely) late reply!

I am currently trying to finish up a bachelor's degree in Electronics Engineering Technology. At the time, I was considering just getting another AAS through Bismarck. But since then I have moved on to trying to receive a BS in EET vs. having 2 AAS's. Thank you for the answer by the way, it was actually helpful.

I think that ultimately I would like enjoy a career working at a nuclear plant (either I&C or Operator). I am currently a diesel generator technician in the Air Force, I have 2 years left (as I have completed 4) and I hope to be able to separate and get a nuke job. We will see where I am at when the time comes, but I am a planner and I don't like not knowing what I will be doing in say 5 years from now. Thanks again!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?